POP Retrieval Problems

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the automatic POP account retrieval. I've had an account setup for over a year but it's started failing in the last few weeks with "Unknown error: 4". I've tried deleting and recreating it but I get the same error. I'm able to access the account from the likes of mail2web.com

Does anyone have any suggestions?

From this side of the screen, I seem to be missing a lot of details that would be needed for someone to take a guess at a response. Which account where is failing? What application is offering the "Unknown error" and when do you actually "see" it? Is this "your" e-mail application that's doing all this automatic with errors or an account somewhere else that seems to drop in and out ...????

OK, from what I understand so far, you're a SpamCop Email System Customer, and you've tried using another POP3 client (mail2web.com) in a successful test. Can you reveal the domainname of your POP3 account (the part to the right of the [at]-sign in your email address), the name or IP Address of the mailserver you're trying to collect your mail from, and whether or not you are including "[at]domainname" in the "Username" field? You might find that switching to or from including "[at]domainname" in the "Username" field will help.

The POP server I'm trying to collect from is pop.esatclear.ie for an [at]esatclear.ie address.

I'm not including the [at]domainname in the username but I did try changing the username to username[at]esatclear.ie but the error changed "invalid password".

Are you sure that mail2web.com is collecting your email via POP3 and not via IMAP4? If it is using IMAP4, you will see a mailbox name in a Pulldown Menu and a "Go" Button below the "Check for new mail" Link and above the "New Message" Link, whereas if it is using POP3 there will just be a little white space between those Links.

If mail2web.com is using IMAP4 to access your account, you need to find another POP3-capable email client to check that the POP3 functionality of your account still works. If you do that (check POP3 functionality) using OE, please make sure that you use the Advanced Tab and leave the messages on the server before you give OE the chance to collect the messages (otherwise, the messages will disappear off the server).

Of course, if you have the POP3 spec memorized, you can telnet in to your POP3 Server on port 110 and pretend to be a POP3 Client.

Mail2web is definately using POP3 because I tried accessing the account by configuring it from the advanced options page where it allows you to explicitly configure the server name, username and access type.

Plus it just so happens I do know the POP3 spec by heart :)

+OK Hello there.

user sharper

+OK Password required.

pass ***********

+OK logged in.

list

+OK POP3 clients that break here, they violate STD53.

1 0

2 36950

3 1692

4 4506

5 5623

6 1619

7 1055

8 4968

9 6498

10 11096

I'm sorry to hear that the problem appears to be isolated between mailgate and your mailserver. Your next step is to contact JT via support<at>spamcop.net.

Archived