From me?

dhanna

I am curious. Recently I have seen that the spam I have been receiving appears to come from me. If you look at the header it will be like this...

To: spammer[at]spoofeddomain.com <me[at]mydomain.com>

Is this an attempt on the spammer to identify me in reports submitted to spamcop?

I am curious, I do not want to get many more spam because of the spammer using this tactic to identify reporters.

Thanks

The forging of the From: address is / has been one of the current spammer tricks, one way to get around most folks' filters, and of course, deflecting complaints to someone other than themselves. Unless you can figure out how to actually track the spammer down and manage to press some kinds of charges, the usual advice is to sit it out ... it usually runs its course, then some other poor soul gets to be the alleged source ... catch is which spammer you've got using your address in this run .. you might see a few hundred, but others have had to suffer thousands of them a day ...

One of the issues in the SpamCop parser is that although there is an attempt to mung out your address, there can be no sure guarantee that it gets munged everywhere ... (and admitted that it only looks for a clear text form of the address anyway, so if spammer has it encrypted elsewhere, it's a known thing that it won't be munged there ... this the reason for the relatively new "mole" reporting status)

...My guess is that there's a simpler explanation: the spammer isn't (necessarily) trying to identify you as the spam source to SpamCop (as dhanna proposed) or cause you to appear to be the source of spam to other people (as Wazoo proposed), but just to get through a whitelist, or just because their spamware makes it easy for them to spoof the "From" address as one of the e-mail addresses from the "To" line.

Sympathetic to dhanna's complaint...

I am new to spamcop, but so far (1 week) am pleased by a cleaned up version of my mail.

I find some emails, successfully filtered out by spamcop, that appear to be FROM me TO me. The header info shows the same pattern as stated by dhanna.

Being new to all of this, I don't have the lingo down to understand all of Wazoo's response. My question is: what can I expect if, in fact, a zillion people are getting spam that appears to originate from my email address?

I am taking some comfort in turetzsr's response. Thanks.

You can expect that at least three quarters of those zillions of folks will know that your address has been forged and just handle the spam as normal. However, there are going to be folks out there that will be just silly enough to trust what they see and send you a note advising you of their unhappiness of receiving your garbage in their InBox ....

Archived