Opt-in system continuously tar pitted

I don't know why, but my mail server is continuously being reported as spam when in fact the website that is generating the email possibly in question is a sign-up service. It's an online forum that allows email delivery of posts, and at the bottom of every single email are clear instructions that you can log in and stop the email delivery.

Yet, somehow on a practically WEEKLY basis my mail sevre gets tarpitted.

Is there someway to white-list a mail server, or put the tolerance higher? Is there a way to find out the specifics of why the server gets listed and maybe remove the website accounts that are causing the problems?

People are complaining to me that they're not getting their emails, and I can't even respond to them because their ISP is using SpamCop to block my emails!!!

Michael

BTW, I am going to "Enable email notification of replies" and I promise not to report any emails I receive as spam.

I don't know why, but my mail server is continuously being reported as spam when in fact the website that is generating the email possibly in question is a sign-up service. It's an online forum that allows email delivery of posts, and at the bottom of every single email are clear instructions that you can log in and stop the email delivery.

30512[/snapback]

Do you verify that the email address entered is owned by the person entering the email address? If not, then the mail that you send may be spam. If you do verify, then contact deputies at spamcop.net to report the person sending in the spam reports. We are not allowed to report as spam anything we signed up for. There are penalties in place to keep that from happening.

...Ken

It's an online forum that allows email delivery of posts, and at the bottom of every single email are clear instructions that you can log in and stop the email delivery.

30512[/snapback]

(trying to ID what might be setting off the person(s) reporting your email)

Are the _only_ messages sent to forum users copies of actual posts? Are they only posts in topics the people have participated in or asked to be emailed about? If not, are any advertisements added to the emails by the system? As loafman asked, is there a confirmation of the signup email address used before real messages are actually sent? (i.e., they sign up, a confirmation email is sent to the address, they click a unique verification link, etc.)

If you could provide more information, especially the IP address of the mail server in question, we can look into things more specifically.

Edit: Also, does your forum get a lot of 'spammy' posts which are then forwarded to legitimate users?

Finally, have you verified that your server is not being used to send spam by a 3rd party (open relay exploits, etc.)

I don't know why, but my mail server is continuously being reported as spam

You want to make a query but offer no data. At this point, not seeing justification for this Topic remaining here, as compared to being moved to the Lounge area. What is the tie-in to "problems with the SpamCop Reporting process" ????

when in fact the website that is generating the email possibly in question is a sign-up service. It's an online forum that allows email delivery of posts, and at the bottom of every single email are clear instructions that you can log in and stop the email delivery.

I really don't want to try to run with guessing what a "sign-up service" might actually be.

Yet, somehow on a practically WEEKLY basis my mail sevre gets tarpitted.

Tarpitting is a certain word having a certain description, having nothing to do with any services provided by any part of the SPamCop system.

Is there someway to white-list a mail server, or put the tolerance higher? Is there a way to find out the specifics of why the server gets listed and maybe remove the website accounts that are causing the problems?

There is a FAQ here (tagged with a 'read before posting' note) which includes information on the various parts of the SpamCOp system. As above though, you'll not find anything about tarpitting .... if you are attempting to talk about the SpamCopDNSBL, there is a FAQ (and Forum) section dealing with the Blocking List.

People are complaining to me that they're not getting their emails, and I can't even respond to them because their ISP is using SpamCop to block my emails!!!

Again, no data provided for anyone to do any research. ISP use of the SpamCopDNSBL is addressed in the FAQ, and an entry standing alone titled "Why am I Blocked?" ....

Archived