Question for those who use Postini

PaulKTF

I use Postini's spam filtering. What I do is I delete any spam that Postini catches (without reporting it via SpamCop) and only report spam through SpamCop that Postini doesn't catch first.

Does anyone else who uses Postini do this too? Just wondering. :)

I use Postini's spam filtering. What I do is I delete any spam that Postini catches (without reporting it via SpamCop) and only report spam through SpamCop that Postini doesn't catch first.

Does anyone else who uses Postini do this too? Just wondering. :)

30744[/snapback]

There are a couple of Postini users here...

I do a similiar thing except I also submit the spam back to spam<at>postini.com so they can improve their filters as well. I did ask their support desk for a modification to forward the messages as an attachment to a third party, but that is probably a long shot.

I also manually report any viruses that Postini catches using spamcop to determine the proper abuse desk.

30745[/snapback]

Howdy. I also forward to spamcop and spam<at]postini.com anything that gets through. I get a relatively low volume of spam (2-10 per day) so I use the webform to submit anything that hasn't been clipped by postini (i.e., if it was sent plaintext, or just html, you can copy and paste the text or html source, but if it's a multipart email, Postini drops all but the first part). Anything it has modified I manually report. I did have a thread on this before, but it didn't gather much in the way of useful responses. (see Reportable if missing Multi-part?)

Why does Postini drop all but the first part?

30785[/snapback]

Actually, I was not aware of this and have never noticed it, but Lotus Notes v5 only does text exports anyway, so I report them the way they arrive in my mailbox, following the directions SpamCop has supplied. "I" am doing nothing to modify the messages as they are delivered to me.

Why does Postini drop all but the first part?

30785[/snapback]

Let me clarify. When you're viewing the email via the Postini message center, it only shows you the first part of a multi-part message. If you "Deliver" the message to your email account, the entire thing is there, intact. I guess if I took those extra couple steps (deliver, then parse) I could auto-parse these as well.

Let me clarify.  When you're viewing the email via the Postini message center, it only shows you the first part of a multi-part message.  If you "Deliver" the message to your email account, the entire thing is there, intact.  I guess if I took those extra couple steps (deliver, then parse) I could auto-parse these as well.

30795[/snapback]

OK, I took your quote:

I use the webform to submit anything that hasn't been clipped by postini
to read you only reported things that got to your inbox (which is what I do) unless you have a different Postini account than I do. Only trapped messages can be viewed at postini with our system. Everything else is forwarded onto our servers. You seem to be saying you are reporting everthing being caught by the postini filters as well. I receive ~125-150/day...too much to report by hand.

OK, I took your quote:

to read you only reported things that got to your inbox (which is what I do) unless you have a different Postini account than I do.  ...  I receive ~125-150/day...too much to report by hand.

30797[/snapback]

Nope, same account type if I recall correctly from previous conversations. I pull in about 4-15 spams a day. Total. 0-3 get through to my real account, the rest sit in the Postini filter. I report the 0-3 as usual, then checking out postini for any false positives, report those as I get the chance. Like I said, low volume. :)

OK, "When you're viewing the email via the Postini message center, [why does] it only [show] you the first part of a multi-part message"? Have you asked Postini's admins to allow you to see the whole message, and if so, what was their response? Thanks!

I do a similiar thing except I also submit the spam back to spam<at>postini.com so they can improve their filters as well.  I did ask their support desk for a modification to forward the messages as an attachment to a third party, but that is probably a long shot.

I also manually report any viruses that Postini catches using spamcop to determine the proper abuse desk.

30745[/snapback]

I forgot to mention that I also report the spams that leak through back to Postini in hopes of improving the already great service. :)

OK, "When you're viewing the email via the Postini message center, [why does] it only [show] you the first part of a multi-part message"?

30804[/snapback]

Your guess is as good as mine. It wasn't an option I selected anywhere as a choice.

Have you asked Postini's admins to allow you to see the whole message, and if so, what was their response?  Thanks!

30804[/snapback]

No, so I'm not sure. I have emailed them asking if they could make an option for 'show headers' to be default-on. No response.

Archived