Jump to content

Is there a SpamCop Outage


Recommended Posts

I have seend this issue posted a couple times in the past, and wanted to see if anyone could provide their thoughts on what I'm experiencing.

Our sending IP was verified as unlisted as late as June 21 at 7AM PST, but an email we sent the next day June 22 at 930AM PST returned several bounces with a range of errors.

What I find interesting is that we received all bounces/errors on the same day, but the errors are so different and come from several unrelated recipient domains. All are referencing a SpamCop block.

550-"JunkMail rejected - XXX.mktomail.com [XXXXXX]:55650 is in an 550-RBL on rbl.websitewelcome.com, see Blocked - see 550 http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=XXXXXX"

550-"JunkMail rejected - sjsmtp.mktomail.com [XXXXXXX]:36064 is in an 550 RBL: Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?XXXXXX"

550 spamcop.mimecast.org Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?XXXXXX. - https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550 [469OF93uOEyQiJ_Jghl1jw.us376]

But we are not listed:

image.png.1e58c0772835a5060c949014e92bd4e2.png


Could there be a single root issue, or is it really the case that the error is rooted in each recipient's settings --- meaning we would need to contact each recipient who returned an error and address their settings individually?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SWarner said:

I have seend this issue posted a couple times in the past, and wanted to see if anyone could provide their thoughts on what I'm experiencing.

Our sending IP was verified as unlisted as late as June 21 at 7AM PST, but an email we sent the next day June 22 at 930AM PST returned several bounces with a range of errors.

What I find interesting is that we received all bounces/errors on the same day, but the errors are so different and come from several unrelated recipient domains. All are referencing a SpamCop block.

550-"JunkMail rejected - XXX.mktomail.com [XXXXXX]:55650 is in an 550-RBL on rbl.websitewelcome.com, see Blocked - see 550 http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=XXXXXX"

550-"JunkMail rejected - sjsmtp.mktomail.com [XXXXXXX]:36064 is in an 550 RBL: Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?XXXXXX"

550 spamcop.mimecast.org Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?XXXXXX. - https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550 [469OF93uOEyQiJ_Jghl1jw.us376]

But we are not listed:

image.png.1e58c0772835a5060c949014e92bd4e2.png


Could there be a single root issue, or is it really the case that the error is rooted in each recipient's settings --- meaning we would need to contact each recipient who returned an error and address their settings individually?

Thanks!

Hi @SWarner,

this is a problem with "private" blocklists e.g. rbl.websitewelcome.com

they will list ip addresses, and then redirect you to spamcop, which is not involved in the listing through aforementioned RBL.

it happens often, and users who are blocked think that spamcop is to blame. Of course, there can be instances where a customer shares the same address range as a spammer, and ends up as casualty in the spam wars, but here, you are the victim of an independent RBL who has added the IP range you "inhabit" in his/her listing.

if you check goggle you will find a myriad of entries regarding that specific RBL, and it's not good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rbl.websitewelcome.com

you can also check your mail host here: https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

maybe this info will be of help.

again, just to clarify: said RBL has no connection to spamcop whatsoever.

Good luck

Edited by RobiBue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 12:51 PM, SWarner said:

But we are not listed:

Sad situation that we once allowed this to happen.  Email servers at one time had a separate message and blacklist configuration section.  People could and still can setup their message of choosing.  Take the following example from exim's configuration.  I can make it say anything I want, even though it has nothing to do with SpamCop.

deny   dnslists = \
         sbl.spamhaus.org,sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.2 : \
         dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net,dnsbl.sorbs.net=127.0.0.10
       message  = \
         is in an 550 RBL: Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?$sender_host_address

Listed on https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-access_control_lists.html

On 6/28/2021 at 4:30 PM, RobiBue said:

this is a problem with "private" blocklists e.g. rbl.websitewelcome.com

Agreed. Also can be a problem of email administrators who wrongly configure something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, OK thank you both. So it sounds like the "root issue" is actually several issues rooted at each recipient, based on their custom settings or private block lists.

I will get to work reaching out to the recipients in question then.

Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SWarner said:

Ah, OK thank you both. So it sounds like the "root issue" is actually several issues rooted at each recipient, based on their custom settings or private block lists.

I ran across a sendmail example that I had from a while ago, where they used sorbs and and then put SpamCop in the message.  However, I cannot seem to find the postfix example I had from nearly two decades ago.

FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl.sorbs.net',`"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr} " found in bl.spamcop.net"')dnl

documentation: https://weldon.whipple.org/sendmail/dnsbl.html#customize

1 hour ago, SWarner said:

 I will get to work reaching out to the recipients in question then.

Good luck on this.  I hope you can get they can help in the resolution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 5:30 PM, RobiBue said:

Hi @SWarner,

this is a problem with "private" blocklists e.g. rbl.websitewelcome.com

they will list ip addresses, and then redirect you to spamcop, which is not involved in the listing through aforementioned RBL.

it happens often, and users who are blocked think that spamcop is to blame. Of course, there can be instances where a customer shares the same address range as a spammer, and ends up as casualty in the spam wars, but here, you are the victim of an independent RBL who has added the IP range you "inhabit" in his/her listing.

if you check goggle you will find a myriad of entries regarding that specific RBL, and it's not good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rbl.websitewelcome.com

you can also check your mail host here: https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

maybe this info will be of help.

again, just to clarify: said RBL has no connection to spamcop whatsoever.

Good luck

Thank you for sharing this. I came here since I had a similar problem, but this comment definitely solves it for good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...