Does reporting phishing even matter?

TenzinX

Does it really do anything to report these abusive emails here? 

I see " google-abuse-bounces-reports", "devnul", "for tracking purposes", "XXX doesn't care about spam",  in the report every time I  submit an spurious email.

It's like the service providers don't care...

I thought this was a crime...

Of course it is hoped that responsible members of the cyber community will take positive (aggressive) action to deal with their clients that spam. As you have noted not all ISPs, large or small, act responsibly.

Even when action is not taken as a result of SpamCop spam reports, reports do feed into the SpamCop Block List. The SCBL is used by many ISP to help filter incoming email for their clients. Listing on SCBL and/or other block list affects the reputation of the spammer's email provider which is also used be some to manage incoming email.

The legal status of spamming and how diligently laws are enforced is a local matter and vary from place to pace.

Thank you for your succinct and polite reply.

I get several spurious emails, curiously the first week of each month, and report them here as quickly as possible.

I'm relieved they do some good.

I tried sending some "bank/credit card" phishing emails directly to the financial institutions using their appropriate reporting addresses. my ISP, Cox blocks them from sending, thinking I'm spreading spam, regardless as inline text or .eml file attachment. That's worthless...

48 minutes ago, TenzinX said:

I tried sending some "bank/credit card" phishing emails directly to the financial institutions using their appropriate reporting addresses. my ISP, Cox blocks them from sending, thinking I'm spreading spam, regardless as inline text or .eml file attachment. That's worthless...

When you send the email to the bank, or others, their security/IT folks can use the header information, all the <ctrl>-U info.  You problem having reports blocked by your ISP is not uncommon. I am always amused that they block it on the way out, but don't flag it on the way in.

1 hour ago, TenzinX said:

Thank you for your succinct and polite reply.

I get several spurious emails, curiously the first week of each month, and report them here as quickly as possible.

I'm relieved they do some good.

https://forum.spamcop.net/topic/46519-google-ignore-complaints-about-its-abused-servers/?do=findComment&comment=159847
AmyLynn says she has results by posting to 
"google-cloud-compliance[AT]google[DOT]com"

On 2/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, TenzinX said:

some ISPs (like Cox in your case) use spam filters to prevent spam to leave their "ISP domain" and cause them to get blocked. Reporting spam by sending spam message content causes the spam flag to be raised, unfortunately, even though it is a legit way to report abuse.

A workaround to that issue is to use the financial institution's internal messaging system (if you're their customer) through their website. If you're not their customer and just want to be proactive, then unfortunately, unless they do have a way to communicate to them via their website, it won't work. For situations like those, you can create a gmail account and send them those reports that way.

I have a gmail account and receive those gmail spams as well... I report them both directly to google and via SC which on one hand gets /dev/nulled and on the other hand is like shooting my own foot  since I'm on gmail too ;)

On 2/3/2022 at 2:07 PM, TenzinX said:

my ISP, Cox blocks them from sending, thinking I'm spreading spam,

I have no experience with Cox, but have you talked to them about reporting spam? At one time after talking to my ISP and they said "NO WAY in hell!!" magically things changed.  Worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...