Misdirected "Auto reply" from an Abuse Desk

Jeff G.

I got a subject message in my role as email garbage collector for a catchall address. The Parser found nothing untoward in the headers. The message includes nothing at all from the original message that triggered it; I'm lucky the blind addressee (presumably the SMTP Envelope Sender of the original message) was revealed in the "for" clause of the Received Header Lines. The source IP Address has been reported for sending bounces four times in the past three months (once by me yesterday). Would you use the Parser to send a Report in such a situation, or send a manual heads-up? Thanks!

Would you use the Parser to send a Report in such a situation, or send a manual heads-up?

32502[/snapback]

Whilst I know that these misdirected auto-repies and bounces are annoying, I, personally, consider them considerably less offensive than unsolicited commercial spew. So, personally, I send a manual reply if I have the time and delete if I don't. Certainly four reports may not, yet, be enough for a busy admin to have recognised a problem exists.

That said, I think you'd not be wrong to use the parser, just that there's a big difference between malicious UCE and incompetent configuration. the first needs blocking the second needs help - IMHO :)

Andrew

Archived