Block List not functioning

spamcop.net,Sep 25 2005, 12:11 PM]My bl.spamcop.net is not catching any spam and tons of it is getting through.  This is a recent development over the past couple of days.  Why is bl.spamcop.net not catching anything right now?

33172[/snapback]

We need more info than that, please. An example of a message that made it through that you think should be blocked would be good. The software configuration you are using to try to see where a problem may lie.

The bl.spamcop.net is working fine with my config (the spamcop email service).

spamcop.net,Sep 25 2005, 11:11 AM]My bl.spamcop.net

Please define the above. Yes, it is noted that your are proudly (?) exposing a SpamCop e-mail address (have you looked at the Announcements Forum yet?) but it is not known if you are trying to refer to an issues with your SpamCop e-mail account (suggesting that this should have been posted/moved to the E-Mail account Forum) or if you may be talking about somewhere/something else that may be trying to do BL lookups and that tool is failing.

is not catching any spam and tons of it is getting through.  This is a recent development over the past couple of days.  Why is bl.spamcop.net not catching anything right now?

33172[/snapback]

As stated in a previous post, if this is a BL lookup issue, perhaps some server logs would help ... but if this is a SpamCop e-mail account issue, you're going to have to do some research and come up with the data needed to try to analyze "your" spam flow. Technically, use of the BL is not to "catch" anything, simply analuze the sourcing IP address and check whether that IP is on the SpamCopDNSBL. That IP would have only gotten (and remained) on the BL by sufficient reporting quantities. Have you a pet spammer that is spending the bucks/time on finding/using only yhr 'latest' known compromised systems out there, thus not enough previous reports have been collected against that IP? (Not stated of course is whether you are reporting these yourself ... though some may state that this is an obvious stupid question, be advised that there are many SpamCop filtered account users that make no reports at all.)

spamcop.net,Sep 25 2005, 04:11 PM]My bl.spamcop.net is not catching any spam and tons of it is getting through.  This is a recent development over the past couple of days.  Why is bl.spamcop.net not catching anything right now?

33172[/snapback]

My SpamCop flat-rate Email account is catching plenty of junk - in fact volumes seem to have increased a little this weekend compared to recent weeks.

It would help if you gave a vrief description of how you are using the SpamCop bl. As others have noted, via the Email account you have is one possibility - in which case please tell which blocklists you have enabled in your setup, how mail gets into your SpamCop account and how you then collect your Email.

If you are running your own mail server then we might find it helpful to know how you are implementing the SpamCop blocklist checks. For example, what mail server program is in use, whether you are rejecting or tagging messages etc etc.

Andrew

Archived