MS Outlook forward w/attachment

terribleted

My Outlook Admin account manual spam report by foward / insert / attachment

routine does not seem to get reports to take. They get created but after clicking the Spamcop Auto-Responder url link. the feedback declares "nothing to report".

My Outlook Express account Forward as Attachment routine does work and very well, I might add.

This was/is a trial to see how best to do manual reports after uninstalling MailWasher Pro.

Next time I get one of those, I will edit this message and insert.

-----

See my other posts for related topics on MailWasher, software and reporiting, made today.

The "problem" with Outlook is only too well documented.  Depending on version, there may be some hacks, there may be some work-arounds, but in general ... chack the SpamCop FAQ as found here .....

35219[/snapback]

Thanks, I tried a dig for the FAQ with "Search" but obviously did not find the right message.

Edit: going back to the main FAQ, found a good link to solution, will implement in a minute:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2254

Please be aware that the Outlook 2003 REG Hack presented on that page can nearly double disk space storage requirements for each email in your mailstore that is received after it is put into place.

Please be aware that the Outlook 2003 REG Hack presented on that page can nearly double disk space storage requirements for each email in your mailstore that is received after it is put into place.

35260[/snapback]

:(

That's not good, glad that I got distracted and didn't create the DWord registry edit.

Back to square.

35260[/snapback]

By "nearly", I meant that the body and attachments would be duplicated, but not the header (a significant difference for messages only a few KB in size). However, considering the approximately 27-30% overhead that encoding imposes on attachments (IIRC 27% for MIME and 30% for UU), large messages (that have attachments) will cause that hack to increase storage requirements by approximately 127-130% to approximately 227-230%.

By "nearly", I meant that the body and attachments would be duplicated, but not the header (a significant difference for messages only a few KB in size).  However, considering the approximately 27-30% overhead that encoding imposes on attachments (IIRC 27% for MIME and 30% for UU), large messages (that have attachments) will cause that hack to increase storage requirements by approximately 127-130% to approximately 227-230%.

35311[/snapback]

Hmm, My Admin account gets only the overflow email and a few for tracking our PayPal account. Most of the messages are the redirected "null to/from", mail daemon bounces and not kept on the system.

Well, the PayPal messages are kept but the rest deleted.

I have been thinking of migrating all our network email clients to Outlook vs Outlook Express. But, the capability of OE to see not only the headers but the message text among other qualities causes me to pause.

My goal is to be able to properly forward email to Spamcop by rules that forward the offending email as a forward w/attachment.

I have been thinking of migrating all our network email clients to Outlook vs Outlook Express. But, the capability of OE to see not only the headers but the message text among other qualities causes me to pause.

My goal is to be able to properly forward email to Spamcop by rules that forward the offending email as a forward w/attachment.

35476[/snapback]

What mail server software are you considering, and what protocol(s) do you anticipate using to connect to that mail server from the clients (of POP3, IMAP4, and HTTP)? Thanks!

Out of the box, OE can't do what you want (it can't programmatically forward with attachment, and it can't apply its rules to IMAP accounts) and Outlook 2000 can't do what you want (it can programmatically forward with attachment, but strips Received Header Lines when doing so, making it useless for forwarding spam to SpamCop). The stripping is even extended to message/rfc822 attachments of the message being forwarded. I share your frustration at this situation.

Even when copying or moving to an IMAP folder like "Held Mail" or "Report Me" on the SpamCop Email System's imap.spamcop.net, Outlook 2000 strips Received Header Lines if the message has touched its local mailstore.

What mail server software are you considering, and what protocol(s) do you anticipate using to connect to that mail server from the clients (of POP3, IMAP4, and HTTP)?  Thanks!

35479[/snapback]

Currently using Merak Mail Pro (old ver). Taking a look at the simple POP and SMTP that Server 2003 has built-in.

We don't have sophisticated email server demands, eg: Scheduling, etc. Just tossing email and processing via our website interactive areas.

At least I have my trusty Outlook Express. Most of the spam comes to all variations of our host domain suffix, so OE will be able to report properly.

Archived