Instructions for reporting do not work

Axcess

:angry:

I am a new user of spamcop.com I am the editor of an online news organization. Fed up with "trust keith harris laser cartridge" spams. keith[at]usedcartridge.com.

A while back we sent a "legal notice" to Mr. Harris in San Diego.. ordering him to cease and desist. He has not stopped.

Charter is blocking his ip after we complained today (news editors get attention).

AND I hope they do here too. When trying to use the form to send the spam email to spamcop it gets rejected. When trying to forward that email to the link provided it gets returned with this message:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

Now how stupid is that. The instructions state "forward the email". Though apparently - you can't... So, I give up. The service of spamcop leaves lots to be desired by users, especially new ones. I have no time to read dribble on other pages to learn how to forward an email... Forwarding is forwarding. If spamcop cannot accept it, then it should ask for it..

Though there may be cute code in the email I did forward that makes it come back. So I will give credit for doubt on that as I do not know how this service works, could care less about the joys of it and especially do not have time to try...

Good luck getting spammers!

Hi, Axcess!

<snip>

AND I hope they do here too.

35271[/snapback]

...Sorry, SpamCop doesn't block anything. It only sends notice to the abuse address of the sources of the spam you report and (if the IP address the SpamCop parser identifies as the injection point of the spam meets certain criteria, see the FAQ) adds IP addresses to a "block list" which it makes available to the public.
When trying to use the form to send the spam email to spamcop it gets rejected.  When trying to forward that email to the link provided it gets returned with this message:

Now how stupid is that. The instructions state "forward the email".

<snip>

35271[/snapback]

...Please let us know where you saw instructions that said that you should forward the spam. That is definitely not always correct and we need to try to get that fixed!

I am a new user of spamcop.com

Sorry to hear that. But the real question would be why you are posting and complaining in a SpamCop.NET support Forum. What boils down to basic theft of the .COM Domain name is ancient history, but the folks that run spamcop.COM are not here.

(news editors get attention). AND I hope they do here too.

Not sure why you'd think that any extra attention woulf be devoted to a simple self-title description of yourself. You're just another user at this point.

When trying to use the form to send the spam email to spamcop it gets rejected.  When trying to forward that email to the link provided it gets returned with this message:

Now how stupid is that. The instructions state "forward the email".  Though apparently - you can't...  So, I give up. The service of spamcop leaves lots to be desired by users, especially new ones.  I have no time to read dribble on other pages to learn how to forward an email... Forwarding is forwarding.  If spamcop cannot accept it, then it should ask for it..

Well, you pretty much said it in a fashion that leaves me wanting for any desire to point out any obvious clues, much less try to work with you. That "dribble" you are talking about is stuff that explains things ... for example, the [How to ] post a question .. had you read it ... would have pointed out a number of the details missing in your post that probably could have made pointing out the problem/solution easy. As it is, the only "opening" you've provided is the game of someone guessing at what you're doing with what tools, or starting the question/answer back-and-forth routine to ask you to provide all the data you failed to provide up front.

Though there may be cute code in the email I did forward that makes it come back. So I will give credit for doubt on that as I do not know how this service works, could care less about the joys of it and especially do not have time to try...

35271[/snapback]

Well, if you don't have the time to do the simplest of "reading the data put in front of your face" I'm failing to see why anyone here should volunteer their precious time to repeat any of that data .... Once again, are you even sure of where you are at? As a news editor, think of that old sage .. "the 5 Ws" .. or even "look before you leap" ....

Ditto. And I'll just add, "All forwards are not created equal" Different e-mail clients forward in different ways. Some strip vital information out of the original e-mail before forwarding. (not that I think this guy will be back to check this thread)

BTW we all sympathize with your frustration over spammers. But reporting has to be accurate to be effective. And since we are on old adage's "junk in, junk out" :)

Archived