[Resolved] Reports

ColColt

I'm sure this question has come up before but I couldn't find anything about it...probably an oversight on my part. I have MailWasher Pro who will show me the possible spam I have in my mailbox but, once I use the reporting feature and report to SpamCop my findings, what becomes of that report? Are the sources of that spam contacted and given a warning? I continue to get on average of eight to ten spam emails per day from just about everywhere from Florida to Japan...just stupid stuff like a phrase of partial sentence that makes no sense at all...purely spam. Even though it may be added to my blacklist in MailWasher, that could go on forever and the blacklist starts filling up as they change their address often and it can't be traced. :(

If you follow through on a Tracking URL you are emailed in your Confirmation Email Message (or click the "Report Now" Link on your SpamCop Parsing and Reporting System Webpage), and then click the "Send Report(s) Now" Button, one or more Reports will be sent on your behalf. If you are not getting Confirmation Email Messages, please see Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing?, No Confirmation e-mails?.

It sounds like to me that you are not completing the reporting process and if that is the case there are no reports being generated and therefor the answer to your question is that they go nowhere.

So to be sure I understand you correctly, how do you submit your spam to SpamCop?

Do you forward it via "Send as Attachment"?

If so that is only the first step. You should receive a email notice that SpamCop has received the messages which must be responded to.

Do you receive such messages?

If you use the cut and paste method or if you respond to the email message and process the spam message. When you click on send reports it responds back with a list of all the reports that were sent.

Do you see that list when you, and simply do not understand what it is saying?

Waiting for more information from you before we can go any farther as far as trying to answer your question.

PS sorry for the duplicate response, looks like Jeff G. posted while I was still writing this.

What happens is this. I open MailWasher and there maybe 2-4 definite spam emails. I click on the "spam" box and it sends it to spam Cop and later I get a confirmation from SpamCop AutoResponder. As I click on the link provided and read it, I then scroll down toward the bottom left and click Report spam Now. That's the last I hear about it. Is that all there is? I was given an email address also to send it to,BTW.

Thanks for the reply.

Generally you will not get any further response to the reports that are sent.

I have my preferences set to "Forward only replies from sentient people" and have not received a single reply in over 2 years. If you were to select "Forward replies from people and robots" I would suspect that you might see some replies.

For more information on what/where each report is, click on the report ID at the top of your screen which is displayed following clicking on Send Reports and you can review the reports that were sent on your behalf.

I believe the email address you are referring to is a "Submit to:xxxxxxxxxxx" address which is an alternate way of submitting spam. You are using a link within MailWasher. The email address is used if you were to forward the messages as attachment. You would use one or the other, not both. It seems that your "spam" link is a better choice for you.

So keep on doing what you are doing. It actually does help, even if it seems at times that it does not.

Yes, after you view the page with the Report ID Number(s) and which email addresses the Report(s) went to that's all there is, unless you want to view technical details. Occasionally, one of the recipients will actually do something about the spammer; rarely, they will actually hint at what they did; very rarely, they will even tell you what they did.

So, I am doing it right after all. I just wondered about it but I did see in my blacklist in MW that several I checked on had been added to the blacklist. I'd like to get my hands around the throat of those that have nothing better to do than send out stupid email that makes no sense! :angry:

I believe that when you click on the spam link in MailWasher it does two things,

1) adds the address to your personal blacklist

2) forwards the message to SpamCop

Thanks for doing your part to help.

Keep up the good work.

Archived