Anyone using OS X Mail.app?

I have just the default folders on my Spamcop account - Inbox, Sent Mail, Held Mail, Drafts and Trash.

When I add my account to OS X (10.4.3) Mail.app, the Held Mail folder doesn't appear as a subfolder of the Inbox, yet it does if I create an empty "dummy" folder with any name I care to choose.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this behavious and knows a way around it (other than the have the "dummy" folder, not ideal, but not the end of the world).

TIA,

Paul

Setting the stage, I do not have a spamcop.net e-mail account. However, other users have passed their details to me such that I could troubleshoot their issues .. I also used that access time to create some FAQ entries, a How to .. tutorial or two ... (however, my iBook is down at present) ... am noting that there has been no response made yet by a fellow e-mail account holder .. (and also noting that my request for help with a Mac issue on another user's behalf has yet to garner a response) ... so here goes ....

I have just the default folders on my Spamcop account - Inbox, Sent Mail, Held Mail, Drafts and Trash.

Are you suggesting that three of these folders are subfolders to the InBox folder?

When I add my account to OS X (10.4.3) Mail.app, the Held Mail folder doesn't appear as a subfolder of the Inbox, yet it does if I create an empty "dummy" folder with any name I care to choose.

Same question as above. Next question, why is the placement important?

Statement: I'm not at all sure why this would be seen as an issue with the OS-X mail app .. it would seem to me that the 'details' would be the same under any e-mail application making the same connection ...????

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this behavious and knows a way around it (other than the have the "dummy" folder, not ideal, but not the end of the world).

35916[/snapback]

I am recalling that there's a special note about the Trash Folder not being created automatically ... has this been fixed?

I am also recalling a but if a discussion where someone created a "new" folder using one of these "system/default" names and ran into issues requiring JT's hands getting involved .. (have to figure out just what to search for to find that one, but ....)

I guess I'm really asking at this point if there is a problem with the account or just that you're bothered by some appearance issue (that may not actually be an issue) ...?????

The SpamCop Email System's IMAP4 folder structure (I think imposed by Courier) is a main Folder "INBOX" (OE's "Root folder path" without the quotes; you may also find "INBOX." useful with or without quotes), which contains all of the default and possible other Subfolders, including:

"Inbox" (where new mail messages go; in Webmail this is actually a representation of the actual "INBOX" Folder without its Subfolders)
    "sent-mail" (where sent mail messages go)
    "Drafts" (where saved draft messages go)
    "Held Mail" (where messages held due to your preferences go)
    "Trash" (where messages you delete go, unless you use a preference to leave deleted messages in place; does not exist by default)
    "Some Other Folder Name" (which you may create at your option)

Subfolders can have other Subfolders - I have a Subfolder "Temp" that contains another Subfolder "test", and mail2web.com represents that as "INBOX.Temp.test".

My issue isn't cosmetic, I'm not sure why I can't actually see the "Held Mail" folder (at all) as a Subfolder of the Inbox unless I create some other folder (I can call it anything I like) at which point I can then see the Held Mail folder, and the Dummy folder.

I'm not pointing the finger at Spamcop here, I'm fairly sure it's a Mail.app issue, but I figured this might be the best place to find someone using the two together.

Paul

My issue isn't cosmetic, I'm not sure why I can't actually see the "Held Mail" folder (at all) as a Subfolder of the Inbox unless I create some other folder (I can call it anything I like) at which point I can then see the Held Mail folder, and the Dummy folder.

35960[/snapback]

What happens if you then delete the Dummy Folder?

Does this issue happen with all Folders that have a space in their names, or that have names as long as "Held Mail"?

What happens if you then delete the Dummy Folder?

Does this issue happen with all Folders that have a space in their names, or that have names as long as "Held Mail"?

35964[/snapback]

I've not been too methodical, but the problem appears to happen regardless of the folder name or length, or spaces in the name when there are no additional folders.

This is my default folder set:

INBOX

Drafts

Held Mail

Sent Mail

Trash

If you're familiar with Mail.app I have assigned the "Drafts" folder as Drafts, Sent Mail as Sent, and Trash as Trash through the Mailbox/"Use this Mailbox For" menus.

The "Held Mail" folder just does not appear anywhere in the Mail.app folder list unless I create some other additional folder as a subfolder of my Inbox, at which point both the subfolders appear. If I do a "Get Info" on the Inbox it does show the Held Mail folder, and the size, so it obviously knows that it exists.

As I say it's a small issue but I'm unsure why it's happening.

Paul

Other email and newsgroup apps have concepts of lists of available folders/newsgroups, making folders/newsgroups visible, and subscribing to folders/newsgroups. Does Mail.app have similar concepts? Maybe you have to perform those steps somewhat counterintuitively in Mail.app.

Archived