Filtering on the To: header

I have a domain that I have been using for many years. I get thousands of spam mesages sent to nonexistent users at the domain every day.

I'd like to use Spamcop to filter out these messages before forwarding the rest of the mail on to my system. There's about 200 usernames[at]mydomain that I'd like to filter out.

Can I configure Spamcop to do this? (The FAQ lists the headers that spam cop can filter, and To: is not among them, which is hard to believe)

I believe that the answer is both yes and no.

It can be done but not totally automatically.

1) Turn off forwarding

2) write your personal filters

3) You have to log into web mail to get the filter to be applied - each time.(note: check the setting for when the filters get applied

4) Use POP or IMAP to retrieve your messages

(you may be able to automate it from your end by writing a scri_pt that would log into web mail and then POP the remaining messages from your inbox)

You may also what to take a look at How We Use SpamCop, Detailed Examples to see how others are making use of SpamCop.

I'd like to use Spamcop to filter out these messages before forwarding the rest of the mail on to my system.  There's about 200 usernames[at]mydomain that I'd like to filter out.

36297[/snapback]

Do you currently have a spamcop account that these messages are slipping through? If so, please present a TrackingURL so we can see why the message was not caught. However, it sounds more like you are thinking of getting a spamcop account. Even if you can not filter on the To specifically, if they are spam, it is likely most (if not all) will be caught by the many filters that are available.

Do you currently have a spamcop account that these messages are slipping through?  If so, please present a TrackingURL so we can see why the message was not caught.  However, it sounds more like you are thinking of getting a spamcop account.  Even if you can not filter on the To specifically, if they are spam, it is likely most (if not all) will be caught by the many filters that are available.

36300[/snapback]

I'd agree. My SpamCop flat-rate Email account catches the bulk of my incoming spam. I probably received about 2 or 3 spam messages a month which are not trapped by the filters that are available.

Andrew

I'd agree.  My SpamCop flat-rate Email account catches the bulk of my incoming spam.  I probably received about 2 or 3 spam messages a month which are not trapped by the filters that are available.

36307[/snapback]

I wish I could say the same. It's getting to be more like 1-2 dozen a day. Then part of the problem is multiple addresses all forwarding to a single account, thus multiple copies of the same spam sent to each of the varrious accounts.

Archived