Anyone help me out here?

btech

I have 2 spammers that just won't die and aren't being stopped by their ISP & hosts.

First one REALLY chaps my ass, because I received these emails asking me to confirm my subscription to a list that some Hotmail address added me to.

Here's the initial email:

Return-Path: <listbox+trampoline+1593+2405796+9e3c687b[at]barn.listbox.com> 
Delivered-To: x 
Received: (qmail 32028 invoked from network); 26 Oct 2005 05:16:13 -0000 
X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.1.0 (2005-09-13) on blade6 
X-spam-Level: 
X-spam-Status: hits=0.6 tests=MSGID_FROM_MTA_HEADER,NO_REAL_NAME, 
       UNPARSEABLE_RELAY version=3.1.0 
Received: from unknown (192.168.1.101) 
 by blade6.cesmail.net with QMQP; 26 Oct 2005 05:16:13 -0000 
Received: from selekta.com (HELO newbox.selekta.com) (72.22.11.69) 
 by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 26 Oct 2005 05:16:13 -0000 
Received: FROM [207.8.226.4] BY newbox.selekta.com with hMailServer; Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:15:57 -0400 
Message-ID: <2F60____________________________91E2[at]newbox.selekta.com> 
Received: by barn.listbox.com (Postfix, from userid 65534) 
       id 0D26347EDB; Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:16:31 -0400 (EDT) 
Content-Type: text/plain 
Content-Disposition: inline 
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 
MIME-Version: 1.0 
X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.411 (Entity 5.404) 
To: x 
Subject: mighty address update to x 
Message-Id: <20051026051631.0D26347EDB[at]barn.listbox.com> 
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:16:31 -0400 (EDT) 
X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.101 72.22.11.69 207.8.226.4 

Your subscription to the mighty mailing list has been 
updated from 

dean_koon[at]hotmail.com 

to 

x 

For your security, this notification goes out to both old 
and new addresses.  If you do not know why you are receiving 
this message, someone may be trying to flood your mailbox. 
To unsubscribe from the list, click here: 

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=2405796&user_secret=9e3c687b 

Cheers 
The Listbox Robot 

I deleted the mail and expected the requests to stop, since that's what the message said. But LO! I'm now magically on this spammer's list...

Here's a report:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z834571586zef...6ef7bfd14636a0z

So I was fraudulently added to some list and the ISP & Host don't bother with the spam Cop complaints. What to do?

Next one is an ongoing problem. I have reported this person to his ISP and ost for over a year, but NOTHING has been done to cease the email. My address was harvested from a messageboard and given to several nightclubs for email lists. I have made the other mailers stop, but this one keeps going...

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z830314775z21...eb43438f237a96z

Now, his ISP is SBC Global and he's had the same IP for 6 months.. so WHY don't they do anything?

#2- I think he's hosting the suedesf.com, unbeknownst to the company, Syntrio.com, because Syntrio has NOTHING to do with web hosting. He's probably a network guy for the company, which is why the abuse complaints go unheard..

Any suggestions? I'm really tired of these mailing lists that I did not sign up for and some that were clearly fraudulent.. yet reporting them does NO good.

I have 2 spammers that just won't die and aren't being stopped by their ISP & hosts.

<snip>

36971[/snapback]

Hi, Brandon,

...Yep, and you're not the only one. spam won't stop until people (including ISPs and MSPs) stop making money from spamming. All you can do, AFAIK, is find 'em and sue 'em (not likely without deep pockets and lots of help) or filter your e-mail with something like a blocklist (much easier, from what I understand, and the point of reporting them -- gets 'em and/ or keep 'em on the BL).

I thought of drafting up 'cease and desist' letters to the ISPs and hosts, but thought it wouldn't do any good, because I got no where with a specific address for web abuse [at] SBC. I made a report with the FBI [at] the IFCC against Suedesf.com for harassment, but nothing came of that either.

If the FBI's own harassment team won't stop them and the ISPs don't, what recourse does one have? I use SCmail and have the chumps BLd, but it's frustrating that NO ONE seems to stop these guys.

<snip>

I made a report with the FBI [at] the IFCC against Suedesf.com for harassment, but nothing came of that either.

If the FBI's own harassment team won't stop them and the ISPs don't, what recourse does one have?

<snip>

36975[/snapback]

...Yep, we all feel your pain.

...The FBI appears to require a whole host of things, including great quantity and quality of proof of violation of federal law and high dollar value losses, before it will act.

...AFAIK, the only thing you can reasonably do is get your e-mail provider to filter or blacklist the offending sources (or find one that does).

Brandon, I may be off-base here, but since you appear to be posting from an area where SBC's SouthWestern Bell has been the monopoly phone company, perhaps you can apply some pressure through your existing customer relationship with SBC.

I'm really tired of these mailing lists that I did not sign up for and some that were clearly fraudulent.. yet reporting them does NO good.

36971[/snapback]

Hi btech!

As you know, spammers have spoiled things for everyone and really there's no difference with these messages any more than any other spam you receive.

Lart them and move on. ;)

Andrew

Brandon, I may be off-base here, but since you appear to be posting from an area where SBC's SouthWestern Bell has been the monopoly phone company, perhaps you can apply some pressure through your existing customer relationship with SBC.

36983[/snapback]

I wish I had SBC, because I could use some leverage as a customer, but I presently use voIP phone over my Comcast connection.

Sad as it sounds, I'll just have to keep reporting them and hope that one day, someone will care.

Here's a question on ethics: In these messages, there are sometimes 7-10 spamvertised websites, some who are friends & business aquaintences of me. Should I report ALL the spamvertised sites, in hopes that one those hosts will pressure the ISP or sender?

Presently, I have only been reporting the sender IP and the site I know the spammer operates, but is reporting the other websites worth it/ethical? (I recall seeing something in the FAQs about this, but wanted some personal views on the subject)

<snip>

Here's a question on ethics:  In these messages, there are sometimes 7-10 spamvertised websites, some who are friends & business aquaintences of me.  Should I report ALL the spamvertised sites, in hopes that one those hosts will pressure the ISP or sender? 

Presently, I have only been reporting the sender IP and the site I know the spammer operates, but is reporting the other websites worth it/ethical? <snip>

36998[/snapback]

...If I were one of your friends or business acquaintenances, I would certainly want to know about it. However, since reports generated by SpamCop will go to their service provider rather than to them (assuming they are not their own service provider), you may not want to have SpamCop send the reports but rather send your own. Alternatively, you could add a relevant comment in the appropriate box (emphasizing that the report is not a complaint about the service provider's customer but rather notification that a spammer is using the website in the body of spam) before you click the button to have SpamCop submit the reports.

In these messages, there are sometimes 7-10 spamvertised websites, some who are friends & business aquaintences of me.  Should I report ALL the spamvertised sites, in hopes that one those hosts will pressure the ISP or sender? 

Presently, I have only been reporting the sender IP and the site I know the spammer operates, but is reporting the other websites worth it/ethical?  (I recall seeing something in the FAQs about this, but wanted some personal views on the subject)

36998[/snapback]

Are these guys innocent bystanders? If so then don't report them - although a brief note to alert them to the issue might be considerate. Sites such as BBC and eBay regularly get included in spam although the spammer has no relationship with these folks. I don't think it serves much useful purpose to report innocent bystanders.

Andrew

Archived