We are blocked... don't know why

arshepp

We are being blocked by spamcop, but don't know why. can anyone out there help?

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 11:02 AM

To: sales[at]shennancircuits.com

Subject: Undeliverable:Request for sales contact

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Request for sales contact

Sent: 12/19/2005 11:01 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

sales[at]shennancircuits.com on 12/19/2005 11:02 AM

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

<cammx1.corp.power.one #5.5.0 smtp;554 Service unavailable; Client host [63.163.226.6] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?63.163.226.6>

We are being blocked by spamcop, but don't know why.  can anyone out there help?

38168[/snapback]

If you follow the link provided (without the trailing > character), you get to: http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?63.163.226.6 If you then follow the link toward the top of that page: Information about the reasons for listing (blocking) your mail server (63.163.226.6), you get to: http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=63.163.226.6 which shows:

63.163.226.6 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 20 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

You do not state how you are related to this server but if you are the admin, stop issuing bounces after accepting messages.

Hi, arshepp!

We are being blocked by spamcop, but don't know why.  can anyone out there help?

<snip>

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?63.163.226.6>

38168[/snapback]

...Following this link (after truncating off the trailing ">" -- you way wish to contact the admin responsible for the server that sent this message to let them know it is mal-formed), I see:

SpamCop Blocking List

Was your email blocked?

SpamCop's blocking list works on a mail-server level. If your mail was blocked incorrectly it may be due to the actions of other users or technical flaws with the mail system you use. If you are not the administrator of your email system, please forward this information to them.

Information about the reasons for listing (blocking) your mail server (63.163.226.6)

<snip>

Following that last link, I see:
Query bl.spamcop.net - 63.163.226.6

(Help) (Trace IP) {Senderbase lookup)

63.163.226.6 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 20 hours.

Causes of listing

• System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)
  • It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

• System administrator has already delisted this system once

Because of the above problems, express-delisting is not available

Listing History

In the past 208.7 days, it has been listed 9 times for a total of 6.9 days

Dispute Listing

If you are the administrator of this system and you are sure this listing is erroneous, you may request that we review the listing. Because everyone wants to dispute their listing, regardless of merit, we reserve the right to ignore meritless disputes.

Dispute listing of 63.163.226.6

Since the problem appears to be reports to SpamCop spam traps, we here can not get provide you with any more information; you may contact the SpamCop deputies (e-mail deputies[at]spamcop.net).

...Good luck!

Hi, arshepp!...Following this link (after truncating off the trailing ">" -- you way wish to contact the admin responsible for the server that sent this message to let them know it is mal-formed), I see:

Following that last link, I see:Since the problem appears to be reports to SpamCop spam traps, we here can not get provide you with any more information; you may contact the SpamCop deputies (e-mail deputies[at]spamcop.net).

...Good luck!

38175[/snapback]

Thanks to all so far!

P.S. I have verified that we did turn off NDRs.

P.S. I have verified that we did turn off NDRs.

38183[/snapback]

Not as far as I can see:

Telnet session:

220 savsmtpgw.power-one.com SMTP; Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:37:30 -0800

helo underwood.charter.net

250 savsmtpgw.power-one.com Hello

mail from: <underwood[at]spamcop.net>

250 <underwood[at]spamcop.net>... Sender ok

rcpt to: <tester12345678990[at]power-one.com>

250 <tester12345678990[at]power-one.com>... Recipient ok

data

354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

This is a test email looking for nouser

250 M2005121917375925777 Message accepted for delivery

quit

221 savsmtpgw.power-one.com closing connection.

Resulting email sent to the envelope sender:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z844104988zdb...11696e33a1939ez

This report was cancelled because I actually kind of requested it but if my address is ever forged on a message sent to your server, I will be reporting every single copy I receive. This is probably why you are listed. You need to get to stop accepting every message from the internet or at least to stop sending out the warnings.

What version of exchange are you running?

I believe if you turn it off under 5.5 or 2000, you must restart the SMTP service for the new settings to take effect. It should be very easy to tell though. In the system manager go to Servers->Your Server->Queues (thats for 2003, might be in a slightly different place for 2000/5.5). If you see a bunch of queues here (there should be 9 by default, plus maybe 1 or 2 if you have legitimate mail going out) then it is still trying to send NDRs.

I believe there is also a hotfix/patch you must apply to 5.5/2000 to turn off the NDRs, but it sounds like you probably have already done that, just trying to cover all the bases.

Let me know if restarting SMTP doesn't fix the problem, and if you are seeing a build up in the outgoing queues and I will try to help you a bit more.

So what do you recommend that I do?

38289[/snapback]

I recommend that you follow StevenUnderwood's suggestion above: "You need to ... stop accepting every message from the internet or at least to stop sending out the warnings."

Archived