SpamCop, "Doctor" and his "Ultimate Online…"

Phrawm48

Why can't SpamCop, or at least my own SpamCop filters, automatically report specific messages as spam?

My single most frequently received spam is the infamous "Ultimate Online Pharmaceutical" from "Doctor". I'm obliged to manually report this specific message to SpamCop an average of every other day, though sometimes I receive this message more than once in a 24-hour period.

The message's subject line ("The Ultimate Online Pharmaceutical" and sender ("Doctor") are always the same. (Paradoxically, given the unvarying nature of the subject line and sender, the originator perodically updates the intentional mis-spelling in the message body intended to confound message filtering...)

While I can easily specify SpamCop or even my POP email client to identify and then delete these specific messages, I'm unaware of any mechanism for automatically reporting this message as spam.

Those familiar with this specific, recurring message, realize that this is a serious spam'ing operation. The originator usurps resources worldwide to drive these messages into mailboxes; the scope of the operation can be appreciated by doing an Internet search for the message's subject line…

It seems to me it would very sensible (a) to have SpamCop simply delete and report these messages without delivering them to me, or at least (B) provide me with the filtering tools necessary to automatically report these messages prior to deleting them.

Questions / comments / rebuttals?

Cheers & thanks,

Riley

Why can't SpamCop, or at least my own SpamCop filters, automatically report specific messages as spam?

39003[/snapback]

There is NOTHING automatic about spamcop reporting because it is up to YOU to make sure YOUR reports are going to the correct location (or at least not you your ISP). SpamCop does periodically mess up a parse and report the wrong source. Automatic things tend to get messy when this happens.

For instance, recently, spamcop was allowing me to report the same spam message I submitted once, multiple times.

39003[/snapback]

For the same reason I have to request a second copy of an electronic news paper I have been receiving weekly for years. My ISP's filters automatically bounced/blocked the email because "It was so big it looked like a virus." :angry:

Lking and Steven:

I understand your points, but in the case of "famous" or "notorious" spam, I can't help but think there'd be some advantage to automatically handling it as quickly as possible.

That in turn becomes part of the larger dialog I've seen on the forum about whether reporting spam via SpamCop or other tools produces any useful result...

Ah well, it looks like it's eventually going to become one of those deals where I kill the old email address and start anew...

Cheers, thanks, & Happy 2006,

Riley

Riley hang in there.

This "Ultimate Online Pharmaceutical" blitz will also pass. The bad news is as soon as it does there will be an other one. All they need to do is 'misspell' drug scam an other way and your back to where you are now.

Archived