Spamcop Filters

I wonder if anyone can help -

For about the past month, my 'real' domain (which forwards all mail to Spamcop) seems to have been used as the fake return address by a spammer. This has meant that I am getting dozens of mail bounces to my inbox each day. I have now set up filters to remove most of these from my inbox when I log in to Spamcop.

However, normally, I just use Eudora to download my email and only use the web interface occasionally to check held mail etc. Now I have to log in to get the Filters to operate, then run Eudora as normal.

I would like the filters to run automatically, on a regular basis, rather than having to log in. The only current way I can see of doing this is to forget about Spamcop filters, download all the dud emails and filter them in Eudora. However, this seems to be a big waste.

Anyone have any other suggestions (of course ideally I would just like the spammer to stop using my domain !!)

Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm up to what you're asking. You do admit that your ISP forwards your e-mail to SpamCop. Then you admit that the you have to log in to check "Held" e-mail. At that poiint, the appearance is that the SpamCop filters "are" working.

But then you move to using Eudora, having to log on to make the filters work, and I'm following your words in that this sentence deals with Eudora moving filtered items there into your Local Trash folder. I don't see how to suggest how to autmate that, as you're dealing with the physical act of "downloading" the e-mail from the SpamCop server to your system.

I'm just not sure that I'm following what you're actually doing. Have you looked at setting up an IMAP connection (thouhg not sure right noe is Eudora has that capability) ...

Thanks for the reply.

Ok - to try and clarify - the 'Filters' I am referring to are the User Filters (don't know if they have another name) which move incoming mail into different folders - not the Spamcop spam filters.

Spamcop cannot recognise and remove all the spam email bounces I am now getting (a huge amount), so I have set up my own filters to do this. Up until I started getting all these 'spam Bounces', I just used Eudora to download my mail and occasionally logged into the Spamcop Webmail interface. (Over time, I had got all my Spamcop settings working pretty well - so I had no reason to log in every time).

I just want this 'User Filtering' to be automated in some way, so I don't need to first log in to Webmail every time I want to use Eudora to download my email to my PC. (If I don't log on to Webmail, the filters don't work and - I have to download loads of rubbish - on a dial-up line).

AFAIK Eudora does have an IMAP capability, but I never knew why I might need to use it - POP always worked fine up until now. Would it help ?

OK, my turn .. I don't use the e-mail side of the house. I just saw no one had answered, so I stepped in, and trying to help from a systems analyst mode, applying your words against all the other words I've seen and tried to shape into order ... I was just having a bit of trouble trying to read between the lines of your first post ..t hanks for filling things in there.

Last one first, IMAP basically allows you to manipulate your SpamCop folder contents "directly" .. you'd log in, go to your Held Folder, and from there make your selections to delete, report, or move to another Folder. The actual e-mail wouldn't download until you decided to actually read it. So this would save you the time of downloading everything and then filtering at your end.

The bounces with your domain in use .. unfortunatly, all too common these days, and the only good news I can offer is that eventually, the scumsuckers will move on to use another poor soul's address .. sometimes you're "it" for a week, sometimes a month .... the "Spamcop cannot recognise" them actually reads to me in that you haven't figured out a way to set a filter for them .. blacklist yourself isn't a good one, and the rest of the spam is just spam ... Have you got SpamAssisin invokded and have you tried changing the htreshold?

That I'm reading that you say you have to log in to make any filtering happen on the SpamCop e-mail server astounds me ... I must be reading that wrong ... but trying to grok that whole line, if you might try to set up an additional IMAP account to give that a shot .. for sure, it will stop the requirement of having to download the whole shooting match and technically, the operational side of things should work faster and smoother than the web-based interface.

I'm hoping there's something in here that will help ... or, if I'm way off-base, that someone with the "real" answers will pop in and correct everything I've said <g>

sometimes you're "it" for a week, sometimes a month

Been a month so far !!

Note - it's the bounces I'm getting, not the original spam messages. What appears to be happening is that Mr. Spammer is sending out thousands of emails, all with my domain as the return address. Many of them fail to be delivered for various reasons, and I am getting all these "undeliverable" messages. Spamcop doesn't regard these as spam - but they still clutter up my Inbox.

Tried to get IMAP working with Eudora - but no success. Googling show other people with problems too, so I'm downloading the latest beta, which might help.

you have to log in to make any filtering happen on the SpamCop e-mail server

That is indeed the case for the 'User defined Filters' - hence my original question.

Many thanks for your pointers - esp. IMAP, which I will pursue.

Tried to get IMAP working with Eudora - but no success. Googling show other people with problems too, so I'm downloading the latest beta, which might help.

I have IMAP working using v5.1 in paid mode. Have you followed the directions in the FAQ? The setup with Eudora did not seem intuitive to me and I have worked with computers for 2 decades. The directions worked first time for me, having tried several times without success before reading the directions (of course).

Steven

I followed the FAQ - but no luck.

However, I am using later version 6/6.1(beta) so this may be the difference.

I plan on experimenting a bit more before I give up.

Thanks.

-----------------------------

Ok - I've now got IMAP to work. The solution was to set "secure sockets when receiving"

to "never". Of course, this was not an end in itself - I still have to deal with the real problem (spam Bounces), but this should help.

Thanks All

Sadly - no major victory.

Tried IMAP, and will experiment further. In conjunction with my (soon !) broadband connection, I think it might be a viable option.

However, now my 'user' filters seem to have stopped working - even when I log in to webmail..............back to the drawing board.

Thanks. :(

no one seems to have answered your original question - no you cannot have the webmail/IMP filters run without logging in.

webmail is just like any other IMAP client, just happens to run behind a web page.

you should be able to get pop filtering working easily on Eudora. Then all email can be transfered to your pc where bounces can be deleted. IMAP will only help if you want to leave the non-bounce email on the server to read via another location.

Archived