SYSTEM FAILURES? REPORT AND FORWARD BUGS (JT!)

I reported the first bug via the NG but got no response, reprosting here for JT and comments.

Was just off line for 3-4 days, so I had over 600 items in my held box when I logged in. Thought that might have caused the anamolous behavior, but it continues today with 30-40 items.

When I do a "report as spam", whitelist or manually forward a block of messages for full reporting, the action occurs, but the items remain in the original mailbox.

Every action I take is confirmed, BUT, all the offending (or whitelisted)

messages remain as they were. I have to manually delete. In fact delete is the only action fully working!

Also cannot view individual spams by dragging to another window. Fine

opening in same window as the list. (Have not tried using pop-up a new window as yet...)

Using Win 2K, latest software, same setup as always.

Now failure number 2: my use of forward for reporting spams from Inbox OR Held Mail. I seem to get a failure message 1 out of 3 or 4 times when I use "Forward" to send spam for Full Reporting (any reason NOT to have a button to do this??? Seems rediculous to have to take 2 steps to achieve what took one click on the origial held mail page !) The message is "could not find spam in your message". This has happened randomly both with webmail and using Eudora to forward, now it is happening more often, very irritating and time-wasting.

I was assuming I might have goofed on the forwarding, so I double checked 2 submissions and the email showed "Fwd: X forwarded messages" and there were X attachements. I hit send, then went back (argghh) to delete the messages which still were not being moved by the system.

Lo and behold, I switch to my email client and there is another Failure message! I go back to my Webmail "Sent" folder and open the offending message: NO ATTACHMENTS ARE THERE ANY MORE!

I try and ferret out WHICH were the last X deleted items from my trash to re-attempt reporting. This time they go OK...

JT, any idea WHAT this whole mess is about ?

Others seeing the same or similar bugs?

Did NOT see a topic suggetsting that, so I am surprised...

David

I can report that almost all of those functions have worked for me today or yesterday. The only one I did not know about (and I just tested it sucessfully) was the drag and drop. I always keep a minimum of windows open so always use the open in new window.

This is with IE 6 with all patches running on WinXP with all patches. My held mail only has more that 10-20 messages first thing in the morning as I check it about hourly. My Trash folder usually has about 400 messages (2 days worth) which can also slow the system down.

Sorry I can not help more.

I reported the first bug via the NG but got no response, reprosting here for JT and comments.

Was just off line for 3-4 days, so I had over 600 items in my held box when I logged in. Thought that might have caused the anamolous behavior, but it continues today with 30-40 items.

When I do a "report as spam", whitelist or manually forward a block of messages for full reporting, the action occurs, but the items remain in the original mailbox.

messages remain as they were. I have to manually delete. In fact delete is the only action fully working!

Is this inside webmail or inside the plainer screen commonly called VER?

opening in same window as the list. (Have not tried using pop-up a new window as yet...)

I don't know anything about that. If it opens fine in one web browser window, but not in another window, that sounds like a browser problem. It's beyond our control.

Now failure number 2: my use of forward for reporting spams from Inbox OR Held Mail. I seem to get a failure message 1 out of 3 or 4 times when I use "Forward" to send spam for Full Reporting (any reason NOT to have a button to do this??? Seems rediculous to have to take 2 steps to achieve what took one click on the origial held mail page !) The message is "could not find spam in your message". This has happened randomly both with webmail and using Eudora to forward, now it is happening more often, very irritating and time-wasting.

The only way Forward will work is if you do it from the mailbox list. When you're looking at the list of messages, you can use Forward to forward one or more messages to your spam submission address. You cannot use the forward link if you're viewing the message. Even though they're named the same thing, they do different actions.

The only way I can tell what's going on is to see the email that's sent back to you from the parser. It should contain the entire email it received.

JT

To expand a little on what JT wrote above:

The only way Forward will work for forwarding spam to your submit address is if you do it from the mailbox list. When you're looking at the list of messages, you can use Forward to forward one or more messages to your spam submission address. You cannot use the forward link for forwarding spam to your submit address if you're viewing the message because that link sends abbreviated headers inline.

I reported the first bug via the NG but got no response, reposting here for JT and comments.

<snip happens>

Is this inside webmail or inside the plainer screen commonly called VER?

In the webmail list view for ALL my comments, thought that would be clear from context. Not sure which view you mean by VER either...

I don't know anything about that. If it opens fine in one web browser window, but not in another window, that sounds like a browser problem. It's beyond our control.

Now failure number 2: my use of forward for reporting spams from Inbox OR Held Mail. I seem to get a failure message 1 out of 3 or 4 times when I use "Forward" to send spam for Full Reporting (any reason NOT to have a button to do this??? Seems ridiculous to have to take 2 steps to achieve what took one click on the origial held mail page !) The message is "could not find spam in your message". This has happened randomly both with webmail and using Eudora to forward, now it is happening more often, very irritating and time-wasting.

The only way Forward will work is if you do it from the mailbox list. When you're looking at the list of messages, you can use Forward to forward one or more messages to your spam submission address. You cannot use the forward link if you're viewing the message. Even though they're named the same thing, they do different actions.

Thought I had made it clear clear: ALL ACTIONS WERE TAKEN IN LIST VIEW. Hence the reference to "whitelist or manually forward a block of messages for full reporting", etc, which could ONLY come from list view, I think.

The only way I can tell what's going on is to see the email that's sent back to you from the parser. It should contain the entire email it received.

JT

The email returned was NOT the same one sent. As I described: when the forward was SENT, it was subject "Fwd: X forwarded messages" and contained X attachments. The returned message was empty of attachments. When I went back to my sent folder, the offending message was now also devoid of attachments. Something is being lost in the mail system.

If I use the OLD "Held Mail" page, I have nearly no failures.

Speaking of which, any chance of us seeing a "forward for full reporting and delete button" soon ? The whole need to forward as an additional step is a pain.

I may just use the webmail view to cull messages to quick report then the old Held Mail for forwarding, at least until it is updated and bug free.

Any way I can "CC" my forwards to a mail drop you can see for a few days ? I can notify you which ones fail. I don't want to bother you or deputies needlessly but this is a consistent failure mode this week, as are all the list actions I mentioned.

Again, Win 2K, latest Explorer version, all Win updates and security patches. I will try on my Mac and see if the same things occur.

David

To expand a little on what JT wrote above:

The only way Forward will work for forwarding spam to your submit address is if you do it from the mailbox list. When you're looking at the list of messages, you can use Forward to forward one or more messages to your spam submission address. You cannot use the forward link for forwarding spam to your submit address if you're viewing the message because that link sends abbreviated headers inline.

See reply above: all anamolies are in list view, sorry if that was not clearer.

Archived