Help please

craigd

Help please!

My mailserver 203.31.48.230 has been blacklisted again. This time its a 'spamtrap'.

What I need to know, is WHY this has happened so I can prevent it happening again. There is a link to an FAQ on autoresponders - as far as I know our mailserver behaves in the correct way. That is, does not reject emails after initially accepting them. I would like to prevent getting blacklisted again, but without any information at all about why we are blacklisted, how can I do it?

Please, please do NOT reply to this post if you believe I am an intentional spammer.

[edit]please note previous blacklisting problem was due to repeated complaints by a single person and has been resolved by spamcop, so there's no value in mentioning this[/edit]

Thanks Richard for providing additional information by email. This has enabled us to find the particular domain which has generated the incorrect bounce messages

[edit]I forgot to say that this email support is absolutely essential, because it does not seem possible to get the information we needed in any other way.[/edit]

Thanks Richard for providing additional information by email. This has enabled us to find the particular domain which has generated the incorrect bounce messages

[edit]I forgot to say that this email support is absolutely essential, because it does not seem possible to get the information we needed in any other way.[/edit]

41337[/snapback]

Perhaps if the abuse reports didn't keep bouncing you might get it easier?

Parsing input: 203.31.48.230

host 203.31.48.230 = mail.weftweb.net (cached)

[report history]

Routing details for 203.31.48.230

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 203.31.48.230 : admin[at]netspeed.com.au

Using abuse net on admin[at]netspeed.com.au

abuse net netspeed.com.au = support[at]connect.com.au, postmaster[at]netspeed.com.au, abuse[at]connect.com.au

Using best contacts support[at]connect.com.au postmaster[at]netspeed.com.au abuse[at]connect.com.au

postmaster[at]netspeed.com.au bounces (99 sent : 99 bounces)

Using postmaster#netspeed.com.au[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.

Statistics:

Perhaps if the abuse reports didn't keep bouncing you might get it easier?

41338[/snapback]

You bet, that would be great. Unfortunately neither of the bouncing email addresses are ours, they are the owners of the IP range which we are on so we do not have control of them. Who would have thought that when paying for an IP address one should find out whether the owners of the range would forward abuse emails?

Connect.com.au won't forward emails even if they get them. I have higher hopes that netspeed can be convinced to accept emails to their postmaster address and forward the relevant ones to us, but I would be entirely relying on their generosity I have no ability to force the issue.

Unfortunately we're not important enough for any emails to be sent direct to us, we're just the owners of the relevant domains (accurate reverse dns, working contact emails) : (

SpamCop reports are going to abuse[at]connect.com.au just fine.

The fact that their postmaster address bounces our reports is irrelevant.

- Don -

41350[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up, Don. ;)

Then you should get with the "owners" of the IP to fix "their" problem.

41344[/snapback]

Unfortunately it is not their problem it is my problem. I am the one who's mailserver is blocked.

Both the IP range owners and spamcop are causing me problems. Neither have any incentive at all to help me fix the problem. In both cases all I can do is ask as nicely as I know how for assistance. So far the results have been: spamcop not interested in changing their system to stop it punishing legitimate people but have provided some assistance through the forum (thanks); IP range owners not interested in wading through the spam they get and passing on spam reports and have provided zero assistance. Unfortunately I see no prospect for any change to the above situation.

Unfortunately it is not their problem it is my problem. I am the one who's mailserver is blocked.

Both the IP range owners and spamcop are causing me problems. Neither have any incentive at all to help me fix the problem. In both cases all I can do is ask as nicely as I know how for assistance. So far the results have been: spamcop not interested in changing their system to stop it punishing legitimate people but have provided some assistance through the forum (thanks); IP range owners not interested in wading through the spam they get and passing on spam reports and have provided zero assistance. Unfortunately I see no prospect for any change to the above situation.

41357[/snapback]

Until you adopt confirmed opt-in, neither can I. As long you refuse to adopt 'best practice' then you are, I'm afraid, the author of your own misfortune.

41357[/snapback]

SpamCop does not punish legitimate people. They provide the IP addresses of where spam is coming from. If there is a problem with a reporter reporting emails that are not spam, there are ways to 'punish' the reporter. The problem is irresponsibility on the part of the internet service provider and the owners of domains who do not insist on best practices.

'Legitimate people' can act irresponsibly on the internet through ignorance, but ignorance is no excuse for inflicting spam on other people.

Miss Betsy

Both the IP range owners and spamcop are causing me problems. Neither have any incentive at all to help me fix the problem.

41357[/snapback]

Dejavu...? :blink:

Didn't we all have this very conversation a week ago?

I'm sure that at that time I suggested that the one action you could take is to get a new ISP that will forward bounce reports to you. You can add yourself as an interested third-party through an ISP account - but I think you said you'd done that and it doesn't guarantee reports since many folk don't send reports to third-parties.

Andrew

You can add yourself as an interested third-party through an ISP account

41371[/snapback]

Only the Deputies can assign "third-party" status to an ISP account. We used to let folks sign themselves up for those reports, but it didn't work out, so we don't do it anymore. And it takes some pretty serious convincing to get us to do it.

- Don -

Archived