want to check mh with no to scarce spam over it

Hi,

It is said to check the correct setup of mailhosts before quick reporting. This is no problem with my main address, over wich i get buckets full of spam. It is nearly impossible with my other addresses/mailhosts, which I added "just in case", where I get no to very scarce spam.

Is there another method to check the correct setup of those channels? E.g. faking a spam and sending it to myself over them, or something the like?

BTW: When checking the correctness of a report, I see the addresses to where the complaint is sent. Where do I find the IP numbers / domainnames going to be put onto the spamcop blacklist?

Dominik

It is said to check the correct setup of mailhosts before quick reporting.

You posted into the Forum described as;

Mailhost System Configuration

Configure your reporting account(s) with your e-mail host(s) identification ..

This Forum section was set up for folks having issues with the MailHost Configuration of their Reporting Account. If you use this, you need to check the status, results, etc. before doing "any" reporting. On the other hand, you say you have successfully done this...???

This is no problem with my main address, over wich i get buckets full of spam. It is nearly impossible with my other addresses/mailhosts, which I added "just in case", where I get no to very scarce spam.

It isn't clear if you are confusing the terms "host" and "address" .... one can have several "addresses" at a single "host" ... and (in general) only one "address" needs to be used in going through the MailHost Configuration process for that "host" ....

Is there another method to check the correct setup of those channels? E.g. faking a spam and sending it to myself over them, or something the like?

It was my belief that you have a list of "configured hosts" somewhere on-screen .. there may be an issue in that the database is shared, and that someone may have used a funky name for the same host you just configured, so it doesn't show up as the same name you'd be expecting ...but that's not what you seem to be asking about.

BTW: When checking the correctness of a report, I see the addresses to where the complaint is sent. Where do I find the IP numbers / domainnames going to be put onto the spamcop blacklist?

This appears to be a "Reporting" query, another Forum is set up for that ... perhaps the first response would be to go into your Preferences page at youir logged-in www.spamcop.net and turn on "show technical details" ... ???? The expectation that youir report will automatically add an IP address to the BL is not reality .. there is a bit of math involved .. try the SpamCop FAQ links at the top of this screen

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It isn't clear if you are confusing the terms "host" and "address" ....

I don't think that. I have one and only one email address at each of 4 mail providers (mailhosts).

that someone may have used a funky name for the same host you just configured, so it doesn't show up as the same name you'd be expecting ...but that's not what you seem to be asking about.

Right, the list of mailhosts I can see on the mailhosts configuration window is perfectly o.k. My argument is the following:

1. I want to do quick reporting.
  2. To do that I want to / have to check, whether every mailhost configured is configured correctly.
  3. The check of a mailhost configuration works with spams having come to me over the mailhost in question, by submitting them to spamcop and checking, whether the provider isn't identified as source of spam (and hasn't got an increased probability to be blacklisted).
  4. For 3 of my used mailhosts I don't yet have spam to do this proceeding.

And the main question is:

Is there another check mechanism than described in 3. ?

Good night/evening out there (here it is 1am)

Dominik

<snip>

My argument is the following:

1. I want to do quick reporting.
  2. To do that I want to / have to check, whether every mailhost configured is configured correctly.
  3. The check of a mailhost configuration works with spams having come to me over the mailhost in question, by submitting them to spamcop and checking, whether the provider isn't identified as source of spam (and hasn't got an increased probability to be blacklisted).
  4. For 3 of my used mailhosts I don't yet have spam to do this proceeding.

<snip>

...Not that I'm aware (but I'm not aware of everything :) <g> ).

...My guess is that SpamCop's thinking is that because of #4, there is no need for #1. I see what you mean, though -- you want to know if you get spam in the future, can you use quick reporting? My further guess is that you just have to wait until you've built up a sufficient history of correct spam reporting on these accounts that you have some confidence that quick reporting will be okay, then turn it on.

...You could check my hypothesis by writing to the SpamCop Deputies at e-mail address deputies[at]spamcop.net with your question

...Good luck!

The check of a mailhost configuration works with spams having come to me over the mailhost in question, by submitting them to spamcop and checking, whether the provider isn't identified as source of spam (and hasn't got an increased probability to be blacklisted).

Easy answer to this question .. send an e-mail from one account to the other account .... process that spam (preferably using the www.spamcop.net paste-your-spam-in-the-box form with full Technical details turned on) .. check the results .. cancel the report ....

If results are OK (i.e., offering to report to the orignating ISP rather than the receiving ISP, you're good to go ....

The Quick-Reporting mode / setting is for your "Reporting Account" .... not the 'personal e-mail accounts' in question .... the MailHost Configuration is a method of helping to prevent you from reporting yourself/your own ISP .. and once again, there are warnings existing that "stuff still happens" so one needs to check things out from time to time ... one user offered up the sequence of doing a "full" report on three spams at the start of the day, cheking the results .. and if things are OK, Quick-Reporting the rest of his spam ...

Have a friend send an email to those accounts or send one from an unlisted accout (work) and do a full report on that message but cancel rather than send it. Watch that it is sent to your friends ISP (or work, etc.)

I am trying to sign up for quick reporting and because Spamcop said to register *all* my email addresses I did just that.

Now the question is, can I enable each of them for quick reporting separately as and when I receive spam at them? Some ISPs I hardly ever use and virtually never get spam through, so do I really have to wait for all of them to get spam before I see any mention of Quick Reporting on my Mailhosts page.

Or should I try sending some spam to the "quick" address again in order to activate something?

I tried what you suggested, getting a spam sent from another account and processing but not reporting for each of my servers, but I'm still not seeing anything about Quick Reporting on the Mailhosts page.

Any other suggestions?

I tried what you suggested, getting a spam sent from another account and processing but not reporting for each of my servers, but I'm still not seeing anything about Quick Reporting on the Mailhosts page.

Any other suggestions?

Did those spams seem to process correctly? If so, I am not sure where the "Activate Quick reporting" link shows up as I configured mine early in the process.

You can try sending to the quick.x address and read the resulting message carefully. When I enabled quick reporting, the directions were on that automatic reply. Please see the other threads around about the automatic replies being turned off. They should not be affecting you, but they also should not have turned off all quick reporting either ;)

BTW, I do not respond to PM requests for things that should be in the forum. Public disclosure is the reason for these forums so the next person finds the answer themself. As you posted the same here, I will not be replying to your PM.

Archived