Email that crashes OE

dbiel

I have recently been receiving an ever increasing amount of email that as soon as you click on it Outlook express crashes.

The only practical way I have found to handle it is to delete it; but that is not always easy.

You have to have an email in the folder on top of it. Click on that one and then hit the delete button twice, very quickly, before it has a chance to crash OE.

Is anyone else having this problem?

And if so, how are you handling it.

These are the type of messages I would really love to report.

Sometimes I can group them by clicking on a good message at the top of the list, holding the shift key and clicking on a good message at the bottom of the list and then drag the group to my IMAP connection to my SpamCop heldmail folder. But since they are actually moved one at a time, it will still crash OE most of the time.

Send me one.

The possibilities are all over the place. (I have to make the first assumption that your e-mail isn't being handled as plain text) So that brings in all the other junky stiff involved with Internet Explorer being involved in doing the rendering, and that 'problem' can be huge.

Then one gets to the possibilities of some of the OE folder issues. There may be some corruption going on there ... are you using the InBox as a storage faciilty also (specifically, how huge might the InBox be?)

Depending on the version of IE/OE in use .... Control Panel | Remove Programs | [however Microsoft Internet Explorer is identified] | Remove ....

next pop-up should (if anywhere recent) onclude a Repair option .. give that a shot ...

OE "may" give you the same option, but that infortunatel depends on even more things, version, how it was installed, etc ....

This may be one of those trying to use falsly named graphic files, maybe there's some scripting invlved, etc .....

Send me one.
I will give that a try
(I have to make the first assumption that your e-mail isn't being handled as plain text)
Good assumption and as you say, that definitely adds to the problems, but it will also crash even if it is set to work off line, but that only cuts out problems related to links, not the html code itself
Then one gets to the possibilities of some of the OE folder issues. There may be some corruption going on there ... are you using the InBox as a storage faciilty also (specifically, how huge might the InBox be?)
very big, in the 4 digit range, definitely need to do some house cleaning there.

I will do some more checking when I get back home tonight.

Thanks for the reply

I was able to select a group of 5 messages (top and bottom message were good, middle three would crash OE if selected individually) and forward them as an attachment for reporting.

The Tracking URL for the 3 bad messages follows:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z961264364z15...d9917e873a5f6az

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z961264367z07...a5b1db1fe69580z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z961264368z92...21c9d4c5dc59a0z

If I were to guess, It looks to me like the pipe "|||" symbols used in web addresses might be causing the problem.

Since I failed to mention it earlier: Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300 on NT 4.0 Server (build 1381: Servic Pack 4)

I know, way out of date. Running on a Pentium 120

Actual inbox message count: 4854 at this moment

Yeah, that is an ancient version of OE, in fact, unsupported by Microsoft. I would strongly recommend updating to a more current version as email and spam have evolved significantly since that was current software. Running old unpatched versions like that is just ASKING for trouble. "Please exploit my software"

Yeah, that is an ancient version of OE, in fact, unsupported by Microsoft. I would strongly recommend updating to a more current version as email and spam have evolved significantly since that was current software. Running old unpatched versions like that is just ASKING for trouble. "Please exploit my software"

The OS is also unsupported, I believe, so there may not be an update available. Anyway, depending on how you handle your messages, anything (even Microsoft) can be secure.

The OS is also unsupported, I believe, so there may not be an update available.
Your are correct. NT was dropped of the support list about one year ago. To update actually means replacing the entire system. So that will happen "eventually"

Archived