checking spam reports

Gorse

I understand the necessity to double check for accuracy on spam reports, but for someone new to the game, could we please have some detailed explanation (in basic language!) of where to look and how do I know from the header if its not spam?

Is it possible that "dirty" emails that I defintely haven't asked for aren't spam?

I understand the necessity to double check for accuracy on spam reports, but for someone new to the game, could we please have some detailed explanation (in basic language!) of where to look and how do I know from the header if its not spam?

Is it possible that "dirty" emails that I defintely haven't asked for aren't spam?

To answer your last question forst, from the FAQ:

On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?

The things I look for during my parses:

1> Make sure you are not reporting to your own ISP. Parse an email you send yourself to see where those would go.

2> Make sure (usually by the sender and subject) that the message is really a spam message (not from someone you know or requested).

P.S. Moderator: This should be moved out of the mailhost forum.

and how do I know from the header if its not spam?

I flatly state that I'm not sure I understand the first question. I don't have to look at the "header" to know whether or not an e-mail is spam or not. I may have to check later to see if someone I know has picked up a virus, perhaps, but ....

Just what might you be using as your definition of spam prior to deciding to ask for this second opinion?

I flatly state that I'm not sure I understand the first question. I don't have to look at the "header" to know whether or not an e-mail is spam or not. I may have to check later to see if someone I know has picked up a virus, perhaps, but ....

neither do I (Ithought( but there is so much emphassis put on checking and "parsing" headers I thought it was an integral part of the process I was missing.

Just what might you be using as your definition of spam prior to deciding to ask for this second opinion?

Not asking for second opinion really, oh I see, I've no idea how it got in there twice!

neither do I (Ithought( but there is so much emphassis put on checking and "parsing" headers I thought it was an integral part of the process I was missing.

The decision on whether or not it was spam was made before it was submitted for parsing. The "checking and analysis" is done on the results of the parsing, prior to hitting the "Submit" button.

The decision on whether or not it was spam was made before it was submitted for parsing. The "checking and analysis" is done on the results of the parsing, prior to hitting the "Submit" button.

Now I am getting confused - I thought the checking was to confirm it was spam. What do you check the headers for then? Not exactly sure what is meant by "parsing" either.

Now I am getting confused - I thought the checking was to confirm it was spam. What do you check the headers for then? Not exactly sure what is meant by "parsing" either.

OK...

Let me try. A different person with a new perspective.

When you receive spam Email you make a decision to forward it to SpamCop to report.

You have, therefore, made a decision that you believe the Email to be spam at that point. 99% of the spam I get is easy to identify since it relates to stocks & shares, penis enlargement etc etc. But you will decide by whatever means you wish that the item is spam. You then submit the spam to SpamCop.

On receipt SpamCop processes or parses the messages and attempts to identify the source mail server. Assuming you are not using quick reporting, you move to the next step and double check that the report is correct. If so you confirm and the report is finally submitted.

The check stage is important since it gives you the final opportunity to ensure you are not accidentally reporting yourself or a legitimate Email you accidentally submitted. Particularly important uif you are using a software process for the first step.

Does that help?

Andrew

There are many ways to report yourself in error.

For example send yourself an Email and inadvertently forward it to SpamCop.

Mailwasher sees a message you have sent, decides that it could be spam and forwards to spamcop for reporting.

There have been times when SpamCop's own databases aren't aware of mail server's in your path so see a spam you received as potentially starting with your server and include you in the list of servers to be reported.

The purpose of the Mailhosts configuration is to significantly reduce the chance of SpamCop accepting a report which relates to an Email originating from your mail server. that's why getting that configuration working is important.

Andrew

Archived