Strange parsing results....

Ex_Brit

This morning I was doing my usual over at http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld - there were so many that I was lazy and did the

"Quick - report immediately and trash" but was surprised by two of the items reporting results in the subsequent email report.

They were both sent to badreports[at]admin.spamcop.net only with a rider "You appear to be reporting a reply from an ISP as spam!

".

These were both the "Nigerian" Money spam type emails.

But this was the weirdest part of the report...

Tracking link: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php

No recent reports, no history available

ISP does not wish to receive report regarding spamcop.net

Resolves to 216.154.195.60

Routing details for 216.154.195.60

Report routing for 216.154.195.60: mailsys[at]admin.spamcop.net

ISP does not wish to receive reports regarding http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php - no date available

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php has been appealed previously.

Body of the message(s)

0spam0,

gloriaokey has sent you this email from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php.

Address:plot 13 west legon,

Accra Ghana.

Email:tim_olakaboth[at]yahoo.com

Dear Friend,

My name is Gloria Olaka, I'm a liberian citizen who is now staying in

Accra Ghana with my brother Timothy. we have contacted you to assist us and receive some money in your country which was supposed to be recieved by Mr. Ibrahim Musa of Dubai, UAE.

my brother Timothy inherited this US$12million (TWELVE MILLION USA) dollars from my father who was a director in Liberian Diamond Cooperation before the war in Liberia, Beleive me , that this is reality and you need not to worry about any risk,from the diplomat who will deliver the money to you in your country. Mr. Ibrahim was the person that was supposed to receive this money on our behalf as our father foreign partner in Dubai,but because of his gredness, we had to call back the consignment when the diplomat reached Dubai to deliver to him,I and Mr. Ibrahim agreed that we will pay him 20 percent of my 12 million dollars as his reward for receiving the money, but immediately the diplomat came to Dubai and was about to deliver,Mr. Ibrahim started making greedy demands and demand for 50 percent of my money instead of the agreed 20 percent, that was the reason why we had to call the consignment back to Ghana.

Rigth now the consignment is at Kotoka international airport Accra Ghana. we want you to assure me that you will be trust worthy for i want you to receive the money for me in your country and help me to invest it in a good prifitable business.please note that the diplomat will be moving to your distinetion to delievr the consignment as soon as you forward me your address and your telephone number.please reply me also through our private email.tim_olakaboth[at]yahoo.com.

Please get back to me, i am waiting.

Thank and God bless you,

Gloria Olaka

Tracking URLs: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1017068664z7...e1ca5aa9b59889z

and http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1017068655ze...37067d638f5d14z

I would say that Gloria Olaka whoever she is seems to know how to circumvent a lot of things!!

This morning I was doing my usual over at http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld - there were so many that I was lazy and did the

"Quick - report immediately and trash" but was surprised by two of the items reporting results in the subsequent email report.

They were both sent to badreports[at]admin.spamcop.net only with a rider "You appear to be reporting a reply from an ISP as spam!

".

These were both the "Nigerian" Money spam type emails.

say that Gloria Olaka whoever she is seems to know how to circumvent a lot of things!!

No, these were both notifications that you have PM's waiting for you on the forums. I got one myself last night. Wazoo replied that only 2 went out, but it seems you got some also.

I would say that Gloria Olaka whoever she is seems to know how to circumvent a lot of things!!

OK, I learned something here. This 'same' named person signed up for an account, went through the Registration process, logged in and sent two PMs to 2 people .... When this was brought up by one of the moderating team, this user was Banned .... this is the first notification that e-mail was also sent out, apparently by the same person.

So I go check the e-mail logs here and see that three were sent to two users, neither of which match this account .... hmmm, multiple accounts here .. OK (well. not really, see the Forum FAQ) .. then it looks like you received the two copies .... the third went to a .ru address ... I still haven't a clue as to the selection process of who received this spam ....for example, this other user was "last active" the day the account was validated, back in 2004 ....

You might want to drop a note to Don/Deputies and point them to this Topic ... to address the 'bad reporting' issue .....

Very strange indeed, especially as I haven't received any PM's...

I would say that this account was hit using the 'email' button, where as the other two mentioned items were sent using the "PM" button .... assumedly using the "look up a member" function ... the account names are so far apart in many ways, which is why I can't make sense out of the selction process to picj the 4 accounts targeted.

anyway will follow up with Don.

service[at]spamcop.net or deputies[at]spamcop.net ?

both should work.

Email to Don sent...by the way I realised that I'd left out "admin" in the addy...correctly sent.

I use the "admin" version also, but ... as I said, the ones you listed will work .. they are are mapped to the same InBox ....

anyway will follow up with Don.

service[at]spamcop.net or deputies[at]spamcop.net ?

both should work.

Don = service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Ellen and Richard = deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net

Obviously, Ellen and Richard will forward mail they get that's for me, but it saves time to send it to me directly.

- Don -

They were both sent to badreports[at]admin.spamcop.net

"Badreports" is telling you that SpamCop thinks you're about to file a bad report and it is going to send it to me for review.

In this case, the reports were indicting JeffT's server at 216.154.195.60 as being the source of the spam. The spam originated there, because it was injected via the forum software, but the parse isn't going to allow the reports to be charged against JeffT's server no matter what.

- Don -

The intent of the contact was to prevent a user from being reproached for screwing up. The pointer here was to offer the background on what happened, as I haven't a clue as to ex-brit's (or the other Forum account) actual reporting address, else I'd have sent the note myself.

The posting on the addresses ... is there something in that listing that implies that the historical data I have is wrong or has been changed? specifically the mapping to the same InBox of both the 'admin' and 'no-admin' specification in the e-mail addresses involved?

The posting on the addresses ... is there something in that listing that implies that the historucal data I have is wrong or has been changed? specifically the mapping to the same InBox of both the 'admin' and 'no-admin' specification in the e-mail addresses involved?

Don = service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Ellen and Richard = deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net

I gave you the correct contact addresses. They are not interchangeable. Ellen and Richard read the "deputies" mail and I read the "service" mail.

The addresses will both work without the admin component, but shouldn't be used that way. The addresses above are the only official contact addresses. Please don't publish anything different.

Thanks!

- Don -

I gave you the correct contact addresses. They are not interchangeable. Ellen and Richard read the "deputies" mail and I read the "service" mail.

The addresses will both work without the admin component, but shouldn't be used that way. The addresses above are the only official contact addresses. Please don't publish anything different.

I don't recall anyone asking about an 'interchange' ... on the other hand, are you asking me to do a clean-up in this entire Forum? At issue for instance, are numerous postings from Ellen in which she directs folks to send her an e-mail at deputies[at]spamcop.net ..... and yet more folks followed that lead when replying to other posts, so the 'non-admin' type address is all over this thing.

Actually, I don't even see this as an option at this point .... there are a score of existing postings throughout the Forum that deal specifically with the 'confusion' over the [at]spamcop.net vice [at]admin.spamcop.net addresses ....

.... there are a score of existing postings throughout the Forum that deal specifically with the 'confusion' over the [at]spamcop.net vice [at]admin.spamcop.net addresses ....
Yep that would make it hard - seems a split to an anouncement is needed, talking of which, in Not finding the help you need? there is a link not working, SpamCop have changed something mayhap.
... please use this link to the web submission forms at SpamCop Web submission form
(Currently results in

Error reading faqid

No such file or directory)

Yep that would make it hard - seems a split to an anouncement is needed,

There is actually quite a history involved in the subject .... use the e-mail, use the web-form, both addresses map to the same spot, only use one address ... one of those things that leaves me tired ...

talking of which, in Not finding the help you need? there is a link not working, SpamCop have changed something mayhap.(Currently results in

Error reading faqid

No such file or directory)

Wow! .... that item had been in place for quite some time. I actually hit the same failure ... edited the URL to hit another FAQ entry, got the same failure .... almost had myself convinced that something was in a very bad condition .... went to www.spamcop.net and followed the Help link to verify the problem .. hmmm, page pulled up just fine ...

OK, the link in the referenced post was missing the trailing "l" as in ".html" .... fixed the post, tried again, all works ... It's ovbious tha it doesn't get looked at much from the continuing "how do I contact" queries, but .... how the heck could it have been broken all this time and no one noticed? And of course, now need to find the post I copied the data from to see if I screwed it up in the process ...????

Later edit: ... yep, my screwup .... Miss Betsy had it correct in her original ....

OK, the link in the referenced post was missing the trailing "l" as in ".html" .... fixed the post, tried again, all works ... It's ovbious tha it doesn't get looked at much from the continuing "how do I contact" queries, but .... how the heck could it have been broken all this time and no one noticed? And of course, now need to find the post I copied the data from to see if I screwed it up in the process ...????

Later edit: ... yep, my screwup .... Miss Betsy had it correct in her original ....

No, I didn't, IIRC. I think someone told me about it and I corrected it.

Miss Betsy

Archived