PM Subject Line: Question Conerning Effectiveness

Wazoo

I admit I'm new at this but I'm not new to computers. If I get this in the wrong Discussion I apologize but I didn't find a PM button anywhere else.

:unsure:

My question is: What is the effectiveness of reporting spam via spamcop.net? :blink: I've reporeted hundreds of spam messages and I am new to finding the spamcop.net website. I receive multiple messages that get reported to tpnet.pl, telefonica.es and also kornet.net. I realize these are foreign (to the U.S.) websites and I'm just wondering what others think the effectiveness is of reporting spam to other countries (which I'm betting most spam comes from) or at least that is where the majority of my spam is received from.

I receive email on over 10 different email accounts and I report them all at the same time by just deleting them in Outlook - going to the Deleted file and verifying there isn't anything in there but spam, and then selecting them all and forwarding them to spamcop all with one message. I presume this is a preferred method for most of the users vs. submitting them one at a time. :huh:

Thanks for the help. :blush:

I admit I'm new at this but I'm not new to computers. If I get this in the wrong Discussion I apologize but I didn't find a PM button anywhere else.

I'm confused, as you sent this via PM ... not posting into any Discussion or Forum section. You obviously "did" find a PM button. Although a touch out-of-date, I suggest a look at the Forum FAQ.

My question is: What is the effectiveness of reporting spam via spamcop.net?

Based on what? Measured against what? Do you use "all" of the tools and resources?

Did you follow the Start Here .. link? Perhaps try the SpamCopWiki?

SpamCop.net is very effective. However, the whole game plan was based on ISPs also being 'effective' .. and that's whats not happening in a lot of places. Thus the SpamCopDNSBL came into existence. But you have to have the tools to use it.

And you'll probably want to wade through the monster Discussion at Is it really doing any good?

I've reporeted hundreds of spam messages and I am new to finding the spamcop.net website. I receive multiple messages that get reported to tpnet.pl, telefonica.es and also kornet.net. I realize these are foreign (to the U.S.) websites and I'm just wondering what others think the effectiveness is of reporting spam to other countries (which I'm betting most spam comes from) or at least that is where the majority of my spam is received from.

It's not the "country" that's the issue .. ir's the ISP involved, as far as the "effectiveness of reporting"

I receive email on over 10 different email accounts and I report them all at the same time by just deleting them in Outlook - going to the Deleted file and verifying there isn't anything in there but spam, and then selecting them all and forwarding them to spamcop all with one message.

There's a boatload of folks that would like to know how you get away with doing that. Outlook has severe problems with the way it handles e-mail .. which also means that it has problems with submitting stuff to the SpamCop.net parser.

I presume this is a preferred method for most of the users vs. submitting them one at a time.

If it works, great .. if something goes wrong, then these mass submittals could get you into trouble quick ....

PM sent to advise of this "new" location for this user's PM'd query.

There's a boatload of folks that would like to know how you get away with doing that. Outlook has severe problems with the way it handles e-mail .. which also means that it has problems with submitting stuff to the SpamCop.net parser.

At work, we are currently using Exchange/Outlook 2003 and I have my account setup to forward as attachment and it works fine for me. The most I have done at one time is 3 (over a weekend) because an outside vendor stops it before it reaches our server/accounts.

At work, we are currently using Exchange/Outlook 2003 and I have my account setup to forward as attachment and it works fine for me. The most I have done at one time is 3 (over a weekend) because an outside vendor stops it before it reaches our server/accounts.

In the back of my mind was the "great REG hack" a number of years back .. Outlook 2003 fixed all that? Or is it still a question of just how it's installed (going back to the days of yore and the Corporate/Internet decision ... (compounded by the Exchange configuration) ...????

In the back of my mind was the "great REG hack" a number of years back .. Outlook 2003 fixed all that? Or is it still a question of just how it's installed (going back to the days of yore and the Corporate/Internet decision ... (compounded by the Exchange configuration) ...????

I'm not sure, that is not my project. I only made the request we have the full headers availble, and it works for us.

In the back of my mind was the "great REG hack" a number of years back .. Outlook 2003 fixed all that? ...
It is apparently still necessary to use the registry hack with Outlook 2003 to reveal the full headers and any MIME boundaries. These can be viewed/copied with a right-click - Options on the listed message in whatever folder. Which doesn't (for me) show the actual content between the boundaries. Can't recall forwarding from Outlook (except in "black-box" SpamMatters reporting) - must try it sometime. I only use it [reporting from Outlook] at work for manual reports (and SpamMatters). The hack isn't necessary/required for SpamMatters, if anyone reading wonders.

...Similar situation here, except that:
  • my account isn't set up to forward as attachment (IIUC), I do that manually.
  • I don't have an outside vendor stopping me from submitting more than 3 spam attachments at a time but I have to be careful not to exceed the SpamCop parser 100 KB limit (and the SpamCop parser seems to count bytes differently from the way Exchange [or is it Outlook?] counts bytes).
  • very rarely, something about a spam (presumably something Exchange has done to the headers) causes the parser to ignore all the spam attachments in an individual submission and I have to re-submit [as attachments] one at a time until I find the offending e-mail(s), which I submit via the web interface with the "outlook/eudora workaround form."

Archived