Problem with email forwarded from Doteasy

Elaine

Hi,

I'm posting my experience just in case anyone else is using doteasy.com as a web host.

I have a website hosted by doteasy.com. Never had a problem with them. My email account on there was always forwarded to my spamcop.net address, at least until last week or so. This morning I heard from a customer that my email was bouncing. I sent email to it through the doteasy mail, and sure enough, my email bounced back, saying "Unknown user" for my spamcop email address. I sent email to my spamcop address from a few other places, and it worked fine. It only didn't work from doteasy. So I sent them a support request.

I heard back from them via email a couple of hours later, saying Spamcop must be blocking them, and that's why I'm getting the "Unknown user" bounce. I think this must be a lot of B.S. If spamcop was blocking them, any email from them would appear in my "Held Mail", right? I wouldn't get an "Unknown user" message. Doteasy must be blocking mail to spamcop.net as far as I can tell.

Anyway I'm changing hosting companies.

Elaine

I heard back from them via email a couple of hours later, saying Spamcop must be blocking them, and that's why I'm getting the "Unknown user" bounce. I think this must be a lot of B.S. If spamcop was blocking them, any email from them would appear in my "Held Mail", right? I wouldn't get an "Unknown user" message. Doteasy must be blocking mail to spamcop.net as far as I can tell.

Spamcop does not block. Perhaps your account forwarding setting is messed up?

Spamcop does not block. Perhaps your account forwarding setting is messed up?

Nope, I checked the forwarding (even though I hadn't changed it in years). It's definitely that Doteasy will not send the email to the spamcop.net address. I got onto the Doteasy webmail, and tried sending email directly to my spamcop address and it won't go through. It bounces immediately with the "unknown user" error.

... Doteasy must be blocking mail to spamcop.net as far as I can tell.
There are providers who hate SpamCop - huge discussion over in the NGs some hours back involving one such. One problem for such types is they don't get/want reports but then come under fire (and threat of being thrown out) from their providers (upstream) if an IP they're reselling gets reported (and of course its always a "false report" causing the problem). I can't NG from "here", I'm simplifying, there were other factors, also the guy saying anyone reporting to SC from his network would be "ejected". So, maybe Boteasy :P is that way inclined as well.

I'm posting my experience just in case anyone else is using doteasy.com as a web host.

I have a website hosted by doteasy.com. Never had a problem with them. My email account on there was always forwarded to my spamcop.net address, at least until last week or so.

If that wasn't working, you should have had all kinds of bounces ...????

This morning I heard from a customer that my email was bouncing.

You don't say exactly, but assumedly this is e-mail being sent to your doteasy/web e-mail account address ...??? This shouldn't involve SpamCop.net, else you'd be receiving the 'bounce' (from the 'Forward:' action)

I sent email to it through the doteasy mail, and sure enough, my email bounced back, saying "Unknown user" for my spamcop email address. I sent email to my spamcop address from a few other places, and it worked fine. It only didn't work from doteasy. So I sent them a support request.

A copy of one of those 'bounces' would go along way in trobleshooting things ... preferable shown via the use of a (cancelled) Tracking URL. The bouncing/blocking/etc. of e-mail by JT's servers isn't normal ....

I heard back from them via email a couple of hours later, saying Spamcop must be blocking them, and that's why I'm getting the "Unknown user" bounce.

Not 100% sure, but I'm not sure how an 'expired' account actually gets handled ... it seems to me that others had previously stated that e-mail sent to an account in that status still arrived, but of course, they couldn't access the account to check / read it ....

I think this must be a lot of B.S. If spamcop was blocking them, any email from them would appear in my "Held Mail", right? I wouldn't get an "Unknown user" message. Doteasy must be blocking mail to spamcop.net as far as I can tell.

There is some troubleshooting data found at Why can't I receive any email? if you want to persue it ....

Archived