Spam With Attached Trojans

Bugsie

Very much a newbie here on the technical side so am putting tentative request for guidance here.

I have recently been getting several spam messages a day each with an attachment which contains a trojan, I assume to grab any password data etc. These forms of attack have been reported in the UK press recently as the most serious form of computer crime but I have not yet found many references to them at Spamcop. Why is this?

I have been reporting them as spam but they keep coming. The source seems to be different each time. Is there any way to filter these messages out and am I doing right by reporting them to Spamcop or should I report them elsewhere?

Advice much appreciated.

Regards,

Bugsie.

Yes, you should definitely report them to spamcop, however, a decent anti-virus program should filter them out on their way in and quarantine the infected attachment.

Hi Will,

Good point. I am using NVC but it doesn't pick them up on most occasions. Will check my settings.

Thanks.

Regards,

Bugsie.

After going a long time without seeing any worms, I found two large items in my SpamCop email's Held Mail folder yesterday with ".exe" attachments. I didn't decode and analyze the attachments, but I think they might have been "Mydoom" variants. The SpamCop email servers have almost perfect anti-virus protection, so it's rare that I get to see any infected messages.

DT

Archived