RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET - How to fix?

Foggy

Interesting tool. Have you followed the  SPAMCOP link in the report and read the help about when and why your IP is listed on the SCBL?

IF no more emails from your IP are reported AND no more email to spam traps are received, your IP will automatically be removed from the SCBL. But that is only 1 of the 3.5 points this tool is deducting from your score.

A few notes to add to Lking;s post. You might want to check that your IP cameras and routers are secure. You might also be sharing an IP with someone who is sending email that is causing it to show up on multiple blocking lists.

Thank Lking and gnarlymarley! 

Regarding the SCBL, I will ask for the client's sending IP address to further address, but upon quick review it does not seem as though it gets too specific here concerning that RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET other than I have to wait to see if it clears up over time. :(

3 hours ago, Foggy said:

Thank Lking and gnarlymarley! 

Regarding the SCBL, I will ask for the client's sending IP address to further address, but upon quick review it does not seem as though it gets too specific here concerning that RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET other than I have to wait to see if it clears up over time. :(

This tells everybody nothing. 
go to 
https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml
and put the alleged IP into the box and if is true SpamCop Block it will show the listing.
Do a screen capture if real SpamCop Block List stops blocking short time after the spam stops;
Most good email sites don't block with a SpamCop blocklist, but have it on retry after 24 hrs.' 

Many times a persons email receiver, has a SH*T list pf IP's that they have a grudge against.
Then send a fake  SpamCop blacklist as the culprit.

Edited by petzl

9 hours ago, Foggy said:

I do not know how to fix it. I don't even really understand what it is.

I'm guessing @Foggy does not know what IP address his mail server is using, so the link @petzl and I provided doesn't help much.

@Foggy contact you ISP (who I guess host your domain and email service) to check if you have a dedicated email IP or a shared IP. The IP address used to send your emails is what needs to be entered into the form on the link @petzl provided. THAT will tell you why you are/have been listed on the SCBL. With that information you can take positive corrective action.

2 hours ago, Lking said:

I'm guessing @Foggy does not know what IP address his mail server is using, so the link @petzl and I provided doesn't help much.

@Foggy contact you ISP (who I guess host your domain and email service) to check if you have a dedicated email IP or a shared IP. The IP address used to send your emails is what needs to be entered into the form on the link @petzl provided. THAT will tell you why you are/have been listed on the SCBL. With that information you can take positive corrective action.

Foggy just needs to send a email to himself from the email he is being told is blocked to get that IP then.
His server IP address  is 167.89.100.92
https://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=167.89.100.92
Then 
https://check.spamhaus.org/not_listed/?searchterm=167.89.100.92
no troubles there that's why I think someonr has sendgrid on a sh*t list?

Edited by petzl

@petzl thank you for that note, I am the marketing agency working for the client who sends the bulk of the emails, I am awaiting their reply on the IP and may in fact just have them test as they are more in line with their IP address fluctuations than I am. 

Roger that as well! 
"Many times a persons email receiver, has a SH*T list pf IP's that they have a grudge against.
Then send a fake  SpamCop blacklist as the culprit."

@Lking thanks for your notes as well. 

I have the dedicated domain for my client set up properly with DMARC etc all in line with what we need. They've had dedicated domain set up for about six months or more but DMARC has only recently (within last two months) been established. Your spamhaus report that you ran is very helpful, thanks @petzl

1 hour ago, Foggy said:

@petzl thank you for that note, I am the marketing agency working for the client who sends the bulk of the emails, I am awaiting their reply on the IP and may in fact just have them test as they are more in line with their IP address fluctuations than I am. 

Roger that as well! 
"Many times a persons email receiver, has a SH*T list pf IP's that they have a grudge against.

I have the dedicated domain for my client set up properly with DMARC etc all in line with what we need. They've had dedicated domain set up for about six months or more but DMARC has only recently (within last two months) been established. Your spamhaus report that you ran is very helpful, thanks @petzl

DMARC setup means it very unlikely to get on SpamCops blacklist
It could also be a fake bounce from email receiver, check bounces SOURCE IP match that of provider
If it don't match report it to that provider as a spam fake bounce!
Spoke to soon you may be on a shared IP with some loser not using a Double OPT-IN email list
SpamCop spam-traps being hit means they are using poisoned email addresses with no owner.
obtained by scraping Internet web pages for email addresses

Causes of listing
  • System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)
    Express-delisting is not available

Listing History
In the past 87.2 days, it has been listed 15 times for a total of 15.0 days
Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports167.89.100.7 167.89.100.8 167.89.100.40 167.89.100.69 167.89.100.76 167.89.100.78 167.89.100.79 167.89.100.82 167.89.100.83 167.89.100.85 167.89.100.86 167.89.100.87 167.89.100.91

Bounce.png

Edited by petzl

On 2/23/2024 at 10:40 AM, petzl said:

Spoke to soon you may be on a shared IP with some loser not using a Double OPT-IN email list
SpamCop spam-traps being hit means they are using poisoned email addresses with no owner.
obtained by scraping Internet web pages for email addresss

Bounce.png

On 2/23/2024 at 9:37 AM, Foggy said:

Roger that as well! 

obtained by scraping Internet web pages for email addresses

Causes of listing
System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)
Express-delisting is not available
Listing History
In the past 87.2 days, it has been listed 15 times for a total of 15.0 days
Other hosts in this "neighborhood" with spam reports167.89.100.7 167.89.100.8 167.89.100.40 167.89.100.69 167.89.100.76 167.89.100.78 167.89.100.79 167.89.100.82 167.89.100.83 167.89.100.85 167.89.100.86 167.89.100.87 167.89.100.91

Bounce.png

@petzl "Spoke to soon you may be on a shared IP with some loser not using a Double OPT-IN email list"

nailed it on the head there! the client refuses to do double opt-in, think that is causing all of this? I'd love to use this as another reason/case to prove them that they need it!

5 hours ago, Foggy said:

@petzl "Spoke to soon you may be on a shared IP with some loser not using a Double OPT-IN email list"

nailed it on the head there! the client refuses to do double opt-in, think that is causing all of this? I'd love to use this as another reason/case to prove them that they need it!

It's not illegal to not use double-opt-in.. that's why a vast number of poisoned email address's are stacked into web pages.
Land lines in Australia have been mostly destroyed by spam callers. Mobiles are very good at stopping them by easy to mark as spam.

@Foggy you are dead right. 1) No matter what the client does, if they are not willing to pay for a dedicated IP address for out going emails, they will never be in full control of their email and run the risk of someone else fouling the reputation of the IP address and there by their reputation. 2) Not using double opt-in email list, (and maybe buying email list) always runs the risk of getting complaints from people who don't want their in-box cluttered, or worst-case a spam-trap.

I know preaching to the choir.

On 2/24/2024 at 11:24 AM, Foggy said:

Suggest that your client do a Run  with a working unsubscribe link in messages to not have one makes it illegal under "the spam act"!

The spam Act 2003 also requires that all commercial electronic messages include a functional unsubscribe facility. This means that recipients must be given an easy and effective way to opt out of receiving future messages.

https://www.findymail.com/blog/how-to-add-unsubscribe-link-to-email/

Edited by petzl

thanks @petzland @Lking

my client has the custom Klaviyo footer that includes an unsubscribe link. like most of my clients it was not until the Google/Yahoo deadline did they realise that dedicated domains were important. so most clients got there dedicated domains in November, December and January. in time their longevity on a dedicated domain can clean up their sending reputation if they behave. I have sunset flows in place and clean soft bounces and severely unengaged from accounts quarterly or sometimes bi-monthly. the only issues is a small subset of the clients want single opt-in still.

image.png.bfeb179f474ab72655af1505a305bee2.png

9 hours ago, Foggy said:

thanks @petzland @Lking

my client has the custom Klaviyo footer that includes an unsubscribe link. like most of my clients it was not until the Google/Yahoo deadline did they realise that dedicated domains were important. so most clients got there dedicated domains in November, December and January. in time their longevity on a dedicated domain can clean up their sending reputation if they behave. I have sunset flows in place and clean soft bounces and severely unengaged from accounts quarterly or sometimes bi-monthly. the only issues is a small subset of the clients want single opt-in still.

image.png.bfeb179f474ab72655af1505a305bee2.png

To clean up a Sh*t list of poisoned email addresses requires a email  delivery receipt tells you that an email message was delivered to the recipient's mailbox, but not whether the recipient has seen it or read it. A read receipt tells you that a message was opened.
might help?

agreed. on paper in Klaviyo things look good, I just have to take mail-tester with a grain of salt at times, this may be one of those where I have to just wait it out and see if the SPAMCOP powers that be deem this account copacetic in the next few months. :)

3 hours ago, Foggy said:

agreed. on paper in Klaviyo things look good, I just have to take mail-tester with a grain of salt at times, this may be one of those where I have to just wait it out and see if the SPAMCOP powers that be deem this account copacetic in the next few months. :)

Just explaining how I believe SpamCop blocklist BOT works.
SpamCops blocklist is a spam radar, it uses a algorithm measure against normal email flow, when spam hits its trip point it activates, when spam stops for 24 hours it turns off.  
When someone like a Microsoft email IP starts hitting spamtraps it takes a very large number of hits and reports to trip it.

I believe you have a better clue than me to work out how to remove poisoned/spamtrap email address than me,
don't help if you have a know all, uncooperative client IMO, so good luck.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2024 at 9:12 AM, Foggy said:

haha thank you @petzl, appreciate your insights in this thread and I will keep them in mind organising clients in regards to the spam lists :)

Just remembered there is away to get around SpamCop's blocklist
That's to ask your clients to whitelist you email address.

Whitelisting bypasses all spam-blocklists,

if there is no easy way to do this (there should be) they need to request their email provider to set it up