New Mail Notification broken?

m0urs

Hi,

since some time (since we had for some days the new Webmail system a few weeks ago?) I do not get any new mail notification (as a pop up window) when new mail arrives at my inbox.

It does not work neither with Firefox nor with Internet Explorer and I have tried it both with my account and with the account of my girl-friend.

It worked in the past definitly in the past with both browsers.

I would urgently need some kind of notification as I otherwise have to look regularly into the browser window (which I often forget during work ....)

Any idea what I can do here or how to fix that? Thanks a lot for your answer!

Michael

One would think that over the span of a number of weeks, a 'failure' such as this would have generated a lot of traffic. It hasn't ...??? firewall, java scri_pt, etc. settings possibly involved?

Possibility of setting up an IMAP connection instead of a browser/web-page connection?

>>

Possibility of setting up an IMAP connection instead of a browser/web-page connection?

>>

What exactly do you mean? Although I access my account both from webmail and via IMAP, I am talking of webmail here ... I had my IMAP connection not active when testing so it could not be a problem while accessing in parallel.

So you can confirm that it is still working for you for both browser types??

I already have looked here at some browser settings, I also added webmail.spamcop.net as allowed website for pop ups in the browser but still with no success.

Any other idea what browser settings etc. could be the problem?

I tried it on several different computers but no where the pop up will be displayed.

Could it be that my setting in the options dislog is not stored correctly?

Maybe anyone of the admin team could have a look into my account settings?

Thanks,

Michael

I found a similar posting in the meantime which is quite old:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/lofiversio....php/t5478.html

Although I do not get anything like "no_newmail_popup=1" in my URL....

UPDATE: I DO get this text immediately after I login as I have just seen. If I switch to Held Mail and back to Inbox this text goes away in my URL. But it definietly show up immediately after I login to webmail! so the URL reads:

https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/mailb...newmail_popup=1

But unfortunately no solution .... Maybe I should also write to support?

Michael

Tried a half-dozen e-mails to myself .. unfortunatrly, ran into a whole slew of BL'd servers, so everything kept going into the Held folder ....

Based on your previous old link, it would appear that no one ever bothered to follow-up so ...???

I can only repeat .... this isn't a universal, massive complaint, so ...????

BTW: please check the Forum FAQ .. specifically Section 8 ... there is only the one person involved that can touch the e-mail side of the house .... and he is definitely busy ...

• 9 months later...

Unfortunately even with the new webmail version the "New Message" notification is still broken. I do not get any pop-up window although the inbox is refreshing and displaying the new mail.

This worked until I think 2005 and was gone since 2006 ... I already opened a forum topic in the past but with no solution so far.

So I would like to try it again with the new webmail system :-)

Does anyone use this and is working for him? Does anybode have anidea what the reason might be and what I can do that it is working again?

Besides that I am quite happy that the new webmail is active now (as S/MINE support now seems to work correctly!!)

Thanks,

Michael

I already opened a forum topic in the past but with no solution so far.

In this Forum, opeining up a 'new' Topic in order to 'continue' a Discussion isn't the way it's done. This 'new' Topic has thusly been merged into that 'other already opened Topic' .. PM snt to advise of this move/merge.

Brought here from a PM ... comments re-ordered a bit for this response;

As far as I can see the old thread is not on top of all forum messages now since you added my new post to it, right??

I have no idea how you have your 'Forum View' settings configured (see SECTION 5 - Login & Navigation ) but the 'default' view is to sort things by the time/date of the last post ... so, yes, your 'old' Topic has now been moved to the first page of that Forum section ... granted, the Announcements and Pinned items are listed prior to on-going Topics/Discussions ...

Is anybody looking into th eold threads?

As above, this is not an 'old thread' .. having been brought back up to the 'top' of the 'current' Topics/Discussions.

But I would like to know if there is any chance if this problem ever gets fixed? ..... So I assume no one is looking into the old post and therefore nobody can give a solution. Or did I get it totally wrong?

Perhaps not noticing the page top notice;

This is a User to User Support Forum

The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. (please remember this at all times!)

Another try:

This forum is composed of people who have used spamcop and those who are learning about anti-spam efforts.

Not all users have a SpamCop.net e-mail account, not all Moderators have a SpamCop.net e-mail account, I was given one relatively recently, but just as StevenUnderwodd stated, I don't use it in the same way that you are asking about.

Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide lists the folks involved with what part of the SpamCop.net toolset. Where to get Help and Not finding the Help you need? attempt to address the issues of this Forum not having the answers you want or need.

If there had been the normal flood of "me too" posts, then I would have done my normal thing of taking it upstream myself on behalf of 'everybody' .... but, note the lack of other folks complaining ...??? The lack of other users chiming in with "it works for me" kind of left things as pointing back to your system/configuration. A silly question would be .. how many "pop-up blockers" might be in use at your end as a for instance?

Anyway, at the moment, the WebMail application is currently under a 'newly installed/released' status, Trevor has asked for input on issues and problems in his posts at New Webmail System - FAQ / Upgrade Guide, Formerly "Webmail Beta migration guide"

Unfortunately even with the new webmail version the "New Message" notification is still broken. I do not get any pop-up window although the inbox is refreshing and displaying the new mail.

This worked until I think 2005 and was gone since 2006 ... I already opened a forum topic in the past but with no solution so far.

So I would like to try it again with the new webmail system :-)

Does anyone use this and is working for him? Does anybode have anidea what the reason might be and what I can do that it is working again?

Besides that I am quite happy that the new webmail is active now (as S/MINE support now seems to work correctly!!)

Thanks,

Michael

I had previously noticed that it works properly for the Held Mail folder but none of the other folders. I retried just now with the same results on the new system.

I had previously noticed that it works properly for the Held Mail folder but none of the other folders. I retried just now with the same results on the new system.

That, to me, suggests that this pop-yp is not part of the Horde/IMP package. Reasoning being that the Deafault mode would assumedly be against the InBox, rather than a 'special' folder created for the SpamCop toolset ... Of course, the other side of the coin would be that the Default was changed so as to recognize the Held folder instead, suggesting the codebase was written so as to only provide this notification on a single folder, and that selected folder was changed .. but again, I have no knowledge on the installed version in use, and I sure don't recall any of this being discussed in the Horde/IMP FAQs, user or Admin .... back to Trevor ...

Archived