Anti-Virus / Firewall

timmyt

You can always try running one of the free scanners like AVG.

Should I leave AVG running in the background (on) all the time?

I've downloaded and began using Zone Alarm FREE firewall once again and have shut off Windows firewall - is this a better set-up than just using Windows firewall??

Moderator Edit: extracted from a SpamCopDNSBL Topic/Discussion as the focus of the query has changed. PM sent to advise of the actions.

Yes. If it's on all of the time, it's protecting you from known threats when you open email malware or visit malicious/compromised sites with your browser.

I've downloaded and began using Zone Alarm FREE firewall once again and have shut off Windows firewall - is this a better set-up than just using Windows firewall??

I've seen opinions from people that I respect saying that the firewall included with XP SP2 is good enough for most users. Though personally, I use the same configuration as you do with Windows firewall off and Zone Alarm enabled. I am behind a real firewall though, but belt and braces never hurts when it comes to security.

The free version has several configuration settings. The paid version has a whole bunchh more.

Settings are a personal decision. For example, tagging outgoing e-mail with the legend that it has been verified spamfree is turned off here as I don't send in anything but plain text, sending attachments is almost never done (and when done, a complete description of what the file is, what it's for, and how to use it are included in the e-mail) .... on my primary systems, I don't scan incoming e-mail .. but then, I only receive it as plain text, I don't click on attachments from anyone (those actually sent from 'known' folks are saved off, scanned and analyzed prior to actually opening, if I'm going to look at them at all) .... on and on ... it's all in how you use your system, how well it's protected elsewhere, etc.

Better? Generally, yes .. but more that it's 'different' .... the XP firewall 'only' deals with incoming ... ZoneAlarm does do some outgoing control.

As GraemeL states, there are yet other things that could be involved/used .... for example, the system I'm typing this on goes through two routers before hitting the cable modem ... there is simply no way that anyone will reach in from the net to this system, yet I've got a software firewall installed on this system, AVG is available to do file scans when I need to look at a file .. the only 'automatic setting turned on is the ipdates ... a system sitting in another room is set up entirely different, as that one gets touched by others at times .... and we all know that 'users' can't be trusted <g>

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

We switched from AVG to Sunbelt Vipre for our corporate antivirus and I highly recommend it. It's a HE!! of a lot more configurable than AVG ever was!

Also, they say that their consumer version is the same "engine" as the enterprise version, just a standalone configuration. I really like Vipre and recommend it. Then again, I used to recommend AVG.... some folks I respect say that the AVG Free version is much better than the paid-for version used to be. Don't know. I still use AVG on my wife's computer, mainly from apathy. :-)

We switched from AVG to Sunbelt Vipre for our corporate antivirus and I highly recommend it. It's a HE!! of a lot more configurable than AVG ever was!

Also, they say that their consumer version is the same "engine" as the enterprise version, just a standalone configuration. I really like Vipre and recommend it. Then again, I used to recommend AVG.... some folks I respect say that the AVG Free version is much better than the paid-for version used to be. Don't know. I still use AVG on my wife's computer, mainly from apathy. :-)

Microsoft are now able to provide a anti-virus (anti-Trojan combined)

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

If you don't have "Windows 7" (not recommending you do) Zone Alarm I like over the Windows XP version

It so far continuously runs in background light on resources auto updates

Archived