Quick reporting - time delay

QuantumMechanic

Hi,

I just started using quick reporting, and I have noticed on the http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showhistory page that it takes upto an hour to file a report and up to 10 minutes before they are listed as submitted on the page referenced above.

Why the general slowness?

I see this page:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...&page=stats

which would indicate that there is a lot of processing going on, so perhaps that is the answer.

Another possible factor, which I hope is true, is that quick reporting, which does not require any additional input from the user, may have a lower priority that full reporting which must first be pre-processed and then final processed by the submitter.

Too many things going to to figure all the places this has been posted before ...

History:

web-page designed to allow folks to paste their spam into the box for parsing.

complaints about delays started gathering momentum as more users arrived

e-mail process was developed, concept being one could hit the office in the morning, weed through the e-mail, submit the spam, and then go to work. Somewhere during the day, one could then follow-up on the submitted spam to actually do the reporting actions.

Yes, as the e-mail submittals were designed as a 'background' process to be handled as "the system allowed" .. the "priority of that processing" is in fact a valid term and concept.

Problem: as more (and more) hardware was brought into play to handle the ever-increasing user load, some (most?) folks got accustomed to seeing the almost immediate return of the "have received and processed" messages from the parsing/reporting system. Now there are so many users that 'expect' that instantaneous response ....

Quick-Reporting falls under that "e-mail submittal" process mode .. so why it's hard to calculate that it would not also fall into the same background process mode as full-reporting via e-mail submittal seems like someone making work for him/herself.

Add to that the concept that Quick-Reporting was developed a long ways down the road, so it's more than likely using yet another code-branch offers up some other possibilities as to how it gets handled.

After that, the spamtrap handling and the SpamCopDNSBL came into being ....

That all of this started while running on a single computer and it's now driving 'engineering staff' nuts on trying to handle load balancing/sharing on a distributed system adds even more crap to speculate on ....

What you want to call second-guessing I'll call fairly intuitive .... but then, I've been there, done that, etc. ...

• 1 year later...
for the past couple of days, when i submit spam to spamcop, it takes HOURS before it ever shows up at spamcop, where i can then report it.. normally it only takes a couple of minutes..

I chose one of the many existing Topics that attempts to explain the way the Parsing & Reporting System attempts to handle incoming spam submittals. For the purposes of this 'discussion' .. there is no real difference between a standard spam submittal by e-mail and Quick-Reporting ... it all deals with the processing and handling by the Parsing & Reporting System.

The "last couple of days" is a bit at odds with some other traffic ... yesterday there was some maintenance downtime. Others that were complaining about slow processing over the last week have since posted that things are 'back to normal' ...????

It has been demonstarted over and over that when there is an outage of the Parsing & Reporting System, there the follows a period where that whole system is bogged down while trying to catch up with the backlog.

PM sent to advise the of the Move/Merge.

Brought over from the SpamCop newsgroup;

Newsgroups: spamcop

Subject: Re: system maintenance window today Tuesday March 18, 2008

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:56:15 -0400

Message-ID: <frrgg3$glq$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

References: <frpdhp$eg3$1[at]news.spamcop.net> <frpegv$hi4$1[at]news.spamcop.net> <frpk37$6gn$1[at]news.spamcop.net> <frrdu9$6e1$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

Xref: news.spamcop.net spamcop:168887

Thomas Mooney wrote:

>> Ahhh, that's much better, and certainly worth the wait.

>

> Oops, spoke too soon. Back to 10+ hour turnaround. I hope that improves soon.

We're working on it ...

Ellen

Spamcop

for the past couple of days, when i submit spam to spamcop, it takes HOURS before it ever shows up at spamcop, where i can then report it.. normally it only takes a couple of minutes..

We're experiencing an overload situation on some of our processing servers that is causing a serious backlog. We're working on the problem.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Hi. I'm not trying to complain. I just noticed something that might be helpful in diagnosing the overload problem... or not. Just offering this observation:

I have forwarded oh, maybe 30 spams to my reporting address (you know, submit.gobbledygook[at]spam.spamcop.net) in the past 36 hours. I have been waiting for the Report spam link and they have trickled in slowly, in no apparent order. Some from yesterday are still unaccounted for. (No, I don't normally track my spam submissions, but I was curious how fast or slow they were going through in the past couple of days.)

Anyway, I just finished reporting about 7 of them, so I went to the Past Reports tab and looked at the "recent reports." I noticed that most of the ones I just reported showed "No report filed..." So I waited a little while and reloaded the page. A couple of them then showed reports filed. I reloaded again. Then some of those went back to showing "No reports filed..." and others showed reports. Reloading over the next few minutes, each time some of them switched back and forth between showing reports and showing no reports or vice versa, in no apparent pattern. Eventually, they all showed reports filed and seemed to stay that way.

I realize there might be a delay between reporting spam and that information ending up in the database table that populates the Past Reports list. However, it seems odd that the Past Reports data should come and go like that. It looks like an application could be repeatedly adding and deleting the same data from the table. If so, that could be a clue about what is slowing things down.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with the slowdown.

[Just trying to help.]

:unsure:

Archived