Reported Spam does not seem to be registered

rcrd2111

Hi, I'm new to the Spamcop email service. I've noticed that even though I "report as spam" those emails that are obviously spam (by clicking on the appropriate button in webmail), when I check on the SC site a day or so later to see if the address is listed, many of them don't seem to be there. I know that there is a 24-hour repeat-spam rule but I would have thought that after just a day they should be there? Or am I misreading something?

I know that there is a 24-hour repeat-spam rule but I would have thought that after just a day they should be there? Or am I misreading something?

I have no idea what your "24 hour repeat-spam rule" is .....

The 'misreading' actually sounds more like 'not-reading' .... try the FAQ/Wiki to see "What is on the Blocking List" for starters ....

Thanks Wazoo... I found this on the Wiki site..

The SCBL will not list an IP address with only one report filed.

With only two reports against an IP address, the SCBL will list the IP address for a maximum of 12 hours after the most recent reported mail was sent.

The SCBL will not list an IP address if there are no reports against it within 24 hours.

So I guess that my reports were the first/early ones for those addresses. The newness will wear off! :)

Thanks Wazoo... I found this on the Wiki site..

So I guess that my reports were the first/early ones for those addresses. The newness will wear off! :)

Somewhere in there it should also mention that a listing depends on the reports being a certain pecentage of the messages coming out of a machine and that a single reporter can not get an IP listed (I believe those are both still valid).

I have no idea what your "24 hour repeat-spam rule" is .....

The 'misreading' actually sounds more like 'not-reading' .... try the FAQ/Wiki to see "What is on the Blocking List" for starters ....

I think for newbies, especially foreigners, it's hard to read and really understand what's written in all FAQ and Wiki pages; therefor I dislike the way say that one has to read better, sorry to say this!

So, I browsed through various pages in search for learning to comprehend the working of all processes, also by reading the forum at several places.

My problem is that I still don't understand what the couple of sentences:

Unreported spam Saved: Report Now

You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported. Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel" instead of submitting the report!

Remove all unreported spam

really mean to me. Did I start reporting, but have I to do more? Will my reporting be processed automatically, or should I do something that I'm not aware of? Will my reporting apear to be in vain if I keep on doing what I did, without acting somehow upon my boldle quoted text above?

TIA for a reply that soothes an uggly feeling mind...

Sending the spam by email simply submits it to the spamcop servers. They do not process it and send reports until you go to the website and click the "Report Now" button. The reason for this is that it gives you an opportunity to review the report destination so that you can make sure you are not somehow reporting your own ISP or computer. This can happen if you do not have mailhosts setup, or if you do have mailhosts setup and your ISP changes their mailserver routing substantially.

I think for newbies, especially foreigners, it's hard to read and really understand what's written in all FAQ and Wiki pages; therefor I dislike the way say that one has to read better, sorry to say this!

Data 'here' has been deceloped by other volunteers for the most part.

As stated in the FAQ 'here' and the Wiki, you are invited to jump in and help improve/fix things. The reason that these things exist 'here' was because of the years of complaints about the 'Official' FAQ.

So, I browsed through various pages in search for learning to comprehend the working of all processes, also by reading the forum at several places.

<snip>

Did I start reporting, but have I to do more? Will my reporting be processed automatically, or should I do something that I'm not aware of? Will my reporting apear to be in vain if I keep on doing what I did, without acting somehow upon my boldle quoted text above?

Did you try the How to use .. SpamCop Reporting Forum section?

There really isn't anything "automatic" done by the SpamCop.net tool-set for the most part. You agreed to the requirement to make sure that what you submitted was spam, that the results from the parser were correct, and that the targets the complaints were going to be sent to were correct. Thus the steps involved for you to 'review' the results before actually hitting the "Send/Submit" button. The Parsing & Reporting system is only a tool to analyze your submittals and offer up a listing of target recipients. What actually gets sent and where it gets sent to is "your" choice/decision. And if you do not actually make those choices, no reports get sent out.

The message you cite says that you have submitted some spam for analysis, but have yet to do the review of the results and give the 'command' to actually send out those reports.

You have submitted spam which has not yet been reported. Please avoid re-reporting spam. If you have already reported this spam or do not want to report it, please make sure to click "cancel" instead of submitting the report!

Remove all unreported spam

really mean to me. Did I start reporting, but have I to do more? Will my reporting be processed automatically, or should I do something that I'm not aware of? Will my reporting apear to be in vain if I keep on doing what I did, without acting somehow upon my boldle quoted text above?

TIA for a reply that soothes an uggly feeling mind...

This usually means you submitted some spam either from your SpamCop webmail account or by forwarding from another email account to your secret submit email address and have not yet reported it.

The steps required are to submit the spam, parse the spam and report the spam. You have done the first part by hitting the "Report as spam" link.

From within the webmail application, click the "Report spam" button at the top of the page, and log into your reporting account where you will see the link you describe above. Click that "Report Now" link and the system will perforn the second step, parsing of the message. You then need to scan the resulting page, focusing on where spamcop wants you to send your reports. Make sure it is not trying to report to your ISP. Then you hit the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button to have spamcop send your reports to the indicated addresses.

You may then need to repeat the reporting process, depending on how many you have submitted. If you submitted for a while, you may want to "remove all unreported spam" and start fresh because you can only report recently sent spam.

From within the webmail application, click the "Report spam" button at the top of the page, and log into your reporting account where you will see the link you describe above. Click that "Report Now" link and the system will perforn the second step, parsing of the message. You then need to scan the resulting page, focusing on where spamcop wants you to send your reports.

Does this mean that "just" clicking on "Report as spam" in webmail doesn't report it? If I do this, when I get the spam report emailed to me do I then have to open the link which takes me to the parser and then manually activate the report?

Does this mean that "just" clicking on "Report as spam" in webmail doesn't report it?

Correct. After you have some reporting history and you configure your mailhosts, you can request quick reporting which will report the source directly, but does not report the websites found.

If I do this, when I get the spam report emailed to me do I then have to open the link which takes me to the parser and then manually activate the report?

Yes. Clicking the link in the email performs the same function as going to the Report spam page and clicking the Report Now button. It will open your submitted message in the parser where you can decide whether to send the report or not.

Thanks Steven, that answers the question which started this thread! I didn't realise that you had to enter the parser string to "finally" report it. I thought that the quick report process took care of it.

I agree with the earlier note which suggested that more "plain english" would help the dumb ones like me!!

:D

Archived