Cleaned mail not being sent back out from SpamCop?

Hello-

I haven't changed any of my setups and I just started seeing this problem today. I assume that maybe something is backlogged and it will straighten itself out later. I did not see anything on the News page and I searched all the forum postings from today. There is mail I released for sending over 6 hours ago and still hasn't arrived. In fact, I've received zero mail today from SpamCop although I can verify many have been forwarded into SpamCop today.

My Setup: I have my own domains and hosting account. I have several email accounts that auto-forward into SpamCop. I have a single secret unfiltered email address setup in SpamCop called "cleaned_mail at mydomain.com". Everything that gets through SpamCop including the white-lists normally goes into "cleaned_mail" within a minute where I pick it up. PRIOR to sending into SpamCop, everything is also duplicated in a Gmail account for backup/archival purposes.

incoming mail account -> auto-forwarded into BOTH SpamCop and a Gmail account -> SpamCop sends filtered mail into "cleaned_mail" POP account

Problem: None of the good filtered mail seems to be released from SpamCop today. Nothing is coming into "cleaned_mail" at all.

Tested:

1. I sent test mail into the "cleaned_mail" account and it arrives almost instantly.

2. I sent test mail into a regular filtered account. I saw it get stuck in SpamCop's Held mail folder but when I released it for sending to "cleaned_mail", it never arrived.

So I was wondering if for some reason filtered mail was not being released from SpamCop's servers today. Perhaps delayed?

Thank-you.

So I was wondering if for some reason filtered mail was not being released from SpamCop's servers today. Perhaps delayed?

Hello. I just sent a test out from webmail with no delay. I just sent a test out through the (Beta) SMTP server with no delay. I just setup a forward and it was received with no delay. You could try these tests yourselt to your "cleaned_mail" account to test. Do you know if your ISP has implemented any filters that are possibly affecting the forward?

I will post the TrackingURL's for these message shortly. Since it is working for me, I would double check and maybe re-enter the forward address in SpamCop configuration in case something got corrupted.

The only other option would be to contact the administrator of the webmail system. Contact information can be found in the FAQ.

Hi Steven-

The last email I received through SpamCop was about 8 AM today.

I successfully sent a test message from SpamCop Webmail to my "cleaned_mail" account and it came right through. So I'm not sure how that can work but the released mail still doesn't come through.

I verified that the "cleaned_mail" email address is still in the settings and I also re-entered it as you suggested.

Otherwise the only email I've received all day has been to unfiltered accounts.

I'll see about contacting the Webmail admin.

Thank-you.

I successfully sent a test message from SpamCop Webmail to my "cleaned_mail" account and it came right through. So I'm not sure how that can work but the released mail still doesn't come through.
These may help determine that. The subject of the message indicates how is was sent.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1185281968z6...7d47039d09f214z Sent from webmail, arrived via mailgate.cesmail.net

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1185281978zb...0633233da9c55bz Sent from SMTP server, arrived via c60.cesmail.net

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1185281989z8...cf1fe71f6fe315z Sent from SMTP server through spamcop forwarder, arrived via c60.cesmail.net

OK, so sending from webmail is not a good test of the forwarding service but sending via the (Beta) SMTP service is. According to: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=216.154.195.49 that IP address is on a few small blocklists. mailgate.cesmail.net is not on any lists: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=216.154.195.36

I don't find the subject of the email when I call up those links. I'm totally lost... I don't understand how to figure out the relevant info in your reports. :(

Since my missing emails never came through, what would I look for?

OK, so sending from webmail is not a good test of the forwarding service but sending via the (Beta) SMTP service is. According to: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=216.154.195.49 that IP address is on a few small blocklists. mailgate.cesmail.net is not on any lists: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=216.154.195.36

If I understand correctly...

... it's possible that a SpamCop IP address got on a blacklist and then my host** is blocking the cleaned mail from getting to my "cleaned_mail" account because this blocked IP is now in the new header.

Is this your thought as well?

** I say "host" since my email accounts originate from my hosted site and NOT my ISP

I'm a bit mystified. I have my main address (jedgar[at][my domain]) forwarding to my spamcop account. I then have spamcop forward the good emails to jedgarpop[at][my domain] I pop the emails from this account. I have been getting NO EMAILS today as a result of this. I send from my gmail account and nothing. Nowhere.

I have turned off all forwarding, and both jedgar and jedgarpop are working to both send and receive on my server. I find no emails in my spamcop email.

I'm lost. Would someone give me a suggestion how to proceed? For now I have turned off the forwarding to spamcop, so I'm getting emails. Which means I'll also be getting all of the spam.

I appreciate your time,

Jay

This sounds like an spamcop email system question rather than Reporting question. A moderator should move this to the email section so that it will get more answers.

(aside to Jay - if you can explain why you didn't post in the email section, that would help us to, perhaps, modify the set up so that others don't make the same mistake. I have a feeling however it is because you came here through the spamcop.net page and didn't realize that there were more forums available.)

Since I don't use the email system, I don't know what could be the matter. You didn't mention checking your held mail online to see if all the emails were going to held mail. If so, particularly with gmail, there may be a problem with your individual filters that need tweaking.

You do say there are no emails on spamcop which seems to indicate that the problem lies with the forwarding directions from your original account to spamcop account. Since a direct email from gmail doesn't come either (does it bounce?), possibly you forgot to renew your spamcop account? No, because you are able to access the online account apparently.

Miss Betsy

I'm a bit mystified. I have my main address (jedgar[at][my domain]) forwarding to my spamcop account. I then have spamcop forward the good emails to jedgarpop[at][my domain] I pop the emails from this account. I have been getting NO EMAILS today as a result of this. I send from my gmail account and nothing. Nowhere.

I have turned off all forwarding, and both jedgar and jedgarpop are working to both send and receive on my server. I find no emails in my spamcop email.

I'm lost. Would someone give me a suggestion how to proceed? For now I have turned off the forwarding to spamcop, so I'm getting emails. Which means I'll also be getting all of the spam.

Please try using the Beta SMTP service to send a test message to your clean account. If it does not get there, your ISP is blocking without telling you about it. please see above thread.

Please try using the Beta SMTP service to send a test message to your clean account. If it does not get there, your ISP is blocking without telling you about it. please see above thread.

It's ironic... we pay SpamCop to filter out the spam but instead it's making everything look like spam. :huh:

Thanks to Steven's help, ISP or Host black-list blocking is the working theory but I can't even get a direct response from the SpamCop webmail admins about this... been waiting since Friday. :(

It's ironic... we pay SpamCop to filter out the spam but instead it's making everything look like spam. :huh:

Thanks to Steven's help, ISP or Host black-list blocking is the working theory but I can't even get a direct response from the SpamCop webmail admins about this... been waiting since Friday. :(

You could test it yourself using the beta SMTP service which appears to be using the same SMTP server.

The fact that the server is listed in a few places is one of the reasons JT avoided providing the service for so long.

You could test it yourself using the beta SMTP service which appears to be using the same SMTP server.

The fact that the server is listed in a few places is one of the reasons JT avoided providing the service for so long.

Even though SpamCop hasn't answered my request for help, I was able to get my Hosting company to look at this thread last Saturday. They've promised to white-list it for me and I'm just waiting for that to take effect.

I'm not putting blame on anyone, but it's apparently a SpamCop server that's blacklisted, so I figured they needed to know about it and that it's effecting at least one of their loyal customers... for now.

The final IP address that transmits messages currently sent through this SMTP service is [216.154.195.49], and to my surprise, it has a rather worrisome reputation in the "sightings" newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&...9+group.*abuse*

Take a look at some of the spam that's been transmitted through that IP.

Also, when I did a Multi-RBL check on the IP, I found that it was listed in the bl.csma.biz blacklist. I've just delisted it, but here's a recent history on what's been received by their traps:

Thu Oct 26 23:38:24 2006 Received - Affairs Articles. Lately

Sat Oct 28 00:51:34 2006 Received - you.

Sat Oct 28 19:59:33 2006 Received - Snow Jeremys

Wed Nov 1 23:12:34 2006 removed from list

Thu Jan 4 15:02:59 2007 Received - Your current options

Thu Jan 4 15:03:07 2007 Received - Your current options

Thu Jan 4 15:03:09 2007 Received - Your current options

Thu Jan 4 15:03:14 2007 Received - Your current options

I doubt that it's a major blacklist, but it's also on the "TQM-SPAMTRAP" list. I didn't have time to inspect the items in the sightings ng, but the most recent one there is from last June, well before the beta SMTP-AUTH started.

DT

Archived