Personal Blacklists

I have searched for an answer to this, and as simple as it would seem, I couldn't find an answer (at least one I could understand). This is all new to me, so I beg for your patience. I get lots of emails which may or not be spam, because they are from senders with whom I have done business in the past (such as Circuit City, Target, Amazon, etc.). I still report them as spam, but, since some people may like getting these ads, they may not be placed on the spam Cop Black List. Therefore, I need to place them on my personal blacklist.

What is the easiest way to place these senders on my personal black list? Is it necessary to copy and paste each address into the personal blacklist, or can this be done somehow directly from the inbox? If this is not possible, would it be practical for the developers to add a button which sends the address directly to the personal black list?

I generally pop my mail from my Treo PDA, so, unless I am mistaken, the inbox filters will not work. Any other ideas?

Thanks-

Rick

I have searched for an answer to this, and as simple as it would seem, I couldn't find an answer (at least one I could understand). This is all new to me, so I beg for your patience. I get lots of emails which may or not be spam, because they are from senders with whom I have done business in the past (such as Circuit City, Target, Amazon, etc.). I still report them as spam, but, since some people may like getting these ads, they may not be placed on the spam Cop Black List. Therefore, I need to place them on my personal blacklist.

What is the easiest way to place these senders on my personal black list? Is it necessary to copy and paste each address into the personal blacklist, or can this be done somehow directly from the inbox? If this is not possible, would it be practical for the developers to add a button which sends the address directly to the personal black list?

I generally pop my mail from my Treo PDA, so, unless I am mistaken, the inbox filters will not work. Any other ideas?

To answer your direct question, follow the link at the top of the page for the "SPAMCOP FAQ" and look for "FAQ about the Personal Blacklist and Whitelist".

Now to another topic. If you have previously used these vendors, you could be in danger of losing your reporting account if you are not absolutely sure you checked or unchecked the appropriate boxes on their sites to not receive email from them. I have used all of those sites and have never received any unexpected email from them, though others may have different experiences. I suggest you try to unsubscribe before reporting them any more. Invalid reports (for things you may have inadvertantly agreed to receive) only hurts spamcop's reputation and makes these companies more likely to ignore spamcop reports.

To answer your direct question, follow the link at the top of the page for the "SPAMCOP FAQ" and look for "FAQ about the Personal Blacklist and Whitelist".

Now to another topic. If you have previously used these vendors, you could be in danger of losing your reporting account if you are not absolutely sure you checked or unchecked the appropriate boxes on their sites to not receive email from them. I have used all of those sites and have never received any unexpected email from them, though others may have different experiences. I suggest you try to unsubscribe before reporting them any more. Invalid reports (for things you may have inadvertantly agreed to receive) only hurts spamcop's reputation and makes these companies more likely to ignore spamcop reports.

Sorry for the above message- I was trying to reply on my PDA and only part of the message got sent.

I saw that FAQ, but I couldn't follow the flow. That thread appears to focus mainly on accessing SpamCop through the webmail application, rather than poping to my PDA. I'll check it out again and try to read more carefully.

Now to another topic. If you have previously used these vendors, you could be in danger of losing your reporting account if you are not absolutely sure you checked or unchecked the appropriate boxes on their sites to not receive email from them.

I am certain that I did not request email from all of them, unless they provided a "pre-selected" check box somewhere an an order page, and I missed it.

I have used all of those sites and have never received any unexpected email from them, though others may have different experiences. I suggest you try to unsubscribe before reporting them any more.

I recently tried to unsubscribe to one of them, but when I followed the link I couldn't find any information on how to unsubscribe. However, I'll continue to try to use that process. I will not report these as spam. Thanks for your response.

That thread appears to focus mainly on accessing SpamCop through the webmail application, rather than poping to my PDA. I'll check it out again and try to read more carefully.

I reviewed the FAQ on managing personal blacklists. I had already been able to open the personal blacklist, but my question still stands- Other than copying down the sender's address and typing it in, how can the address be added to the blacklist? If I attempt to copy and paste the address into the field on the blacklist submission form, I am unable to select the address, because it is presented as a link. I appreciate your help.

I reviewed the FAQ on managing personal blacklists. I had already been able to open the personal blacklist, but my question still stands- Other than copying down the sender's address and typing it in, how can the address be added to the blacklist? If I attempt to copy and paste the address into the field on the blacklist submission form, I am unable to select the address, because it is presented as a link. I appreciate your help.

The only way is manual entry. How you select the address to copy/paste will depend on your OS and application. When an address is a link, I usually select a little beyond the link and then delete the extra characters when I paste. I use Windows and MS products. Sometimes you can right click the address and get copy options.

Once upon a time, personal blacklists were a lot more useful than they are now. Given that probably 99.99% of all spams come from bogus, forged, and constantly-changing addresses, it's generally of very little use to block mail based on the "From." If unwanted messages are coming from a legitimate business with whom you've done business, then simply unsubscribe. It's pretty rare for that not to work.

DT

Archived