[Resolved] Is spamcop rejecting some messages again?

A friend recently sent me two messages from his account at "iglou.com". Both were rejected with this message:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;XXXXXX[at]XXXXX.net

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 571-'5.0.0 Local Policy REFUSAL: Confirmed network-wide opt-out - 001 030206' (delivery attempts: 0)

Reporting-MTA: dns; c60.cesmail.net

Now, this is hair-raising for two reasons. One, it's an outright rejection. What's with this? What's a "network-wide opt-out"?

Second, if this is because Spamcop thinks nothing but spam comes from there, WHY IN THE HECK are they putting my FINAL mailbox, the secret one to which Spamcop forwards my mail, in the reject message??? I've replaced it with X's, here.

What's going on, please?

SpamCop received your messages and forwarded them on to your secret address.

You or rather the admin of the mail server that receives the mail addressed to your secret address is the one that has rejected your mail. Since they / you rejected mail that was destined to your secret address, and have programmed the server to identify the address to which the message is being sent as part of the standard rejection message.

The question I am interested in is why a 5xx reject is not going back to your SpamCop mailbox as it should be going to the IP address it received it from. The logical assumption is that SpamCop is simply forwarding that reject message back to the IP address it received it from eventually getting back to the original sender.

I have not seen this documented anywhere in the SpamCop FAQs. - So much for secret addresses.

But to address the problem as to why the messages are being bounced you need to contact your mail server admin for your secret address

The full reject message with complete headers would make it a lot easier to see what really happened.

Final-Recipient: rfc822;XXXXXX[at]XXXXX.net

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 571-'5.0.0 Local Policy REFUSAL: Confirmed network-wide opt-out - 001 030206' (delivery attempts: 0)

Reporting-MTA: dns; c60.cesmail.net

What's going on, please?

It looks to me like your "secret" address is rejecting not SpamCop Email?

Remove your forwarding address and POP SpamCop directly (SpamCop servers are VERY FAST) Forwarding is now an unnecessary step

Even better is to use the only email address you will ever need which is your spamcop Email one

The settings for sending/receiving SpamCop email

recieving POP3 "pop.spamcop.net"

sending SMTP "smtp.cesmail.net" (Although you can, do not use PORT 25, USE PORT 587. Any competent ISP will be blocking Port 25)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses - my "secret" email provider - a "boutique" operation run by an old friend - was indeed doing the bouncing. He is ferociously anti-spam and had gotten some spam from iglou.com some time back, so he blocked the network. Problem now solved.

Thanks for the word about using Spamcop as a final popmail destination. I may do that. I've been using Spamcop a long time (as Internet time goes!) and hadn't noticed the expanded service.

Archived