RSS?

Lking

You been playing with the RSS? I just (last few hrs) got RSS links to all the announcements.

Heh! I wish .... the past half-dozen+ hours have been spent on the phone, building a home network by talking the teenager through everything .. and I do mean everything .... having him whack off the support bracket on a network card so it would fit inside his Mom's ancient Gateway computer, locating, downloading, losing, downloading again, losing again, downloading again, losing again, ad infinitum to finally actually being able to use the downloaded (and eventually extracted to floppy) files to install the drivers for the network cards ..... got a big thanks, was told that the women of the house are happy as can be, and a promise that the kid is going to call again tomorrow so I can "fix" some other stuff .... geeze ....

I'll have to fo take a look at something (???) to see f I can come up with an excuse a reason for something like this to happen. I don't see any sign of a new Announcement (that should have only made that lone entry an RSS feed item ....)

Heh! I wish .... the past half-dozen+ hours have been spent on the phone, <snip>

I feel for you. I am trying to drag my 80+ year old aunt into the 20th century. She has a Mac, I'm PC. She is in Colorado I'm in MD. Think god(s) for things like Thunderbird so I can visualize what her screen looks like over the phone. Showing her how to surf is ....

I don't see any sign of a new Announcement (that should have only made that lone entry an RSS feed item ....)

Looking at the Announcements I didn't either. Just thought you would like to know in case you needed something else on your plate or it mite relate to other things you are working on in the background.

Lou

Still researching (as first looks at log files led me far astray on some other matters) ... however, let me get some data tossed out now ....

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:11:24:27 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php? HTTP/1.1" 200 12567 "http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=Login<munged data>" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:11:36:53 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 16266 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:12:06:07 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 16266 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:12:41:38 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 16266 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:13:06:23 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 16266 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:13:46:34 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 16266 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

<munged IP> - - [08/Mar/2007:14:06:29 -0500] "GET /forums/index.php?act=rssout&id=1 HTTP/1.1" 200 16266 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070216 Firefox/1.5.0.10"

1: Your version of FirFox is way out of date ... lots of security issues handled since 1.5 ..

2: here's an example of why I was leery about doing an RSS feed at all .... I was all gung-ho on doing this bit of woek, then heard the horror tale from Leo on one of his feeds ... After ComCast bought yet another (television) network and totally trashed TechTV, Leo was moving some of his stuff around to different hosts/servers, temporarily using a 'personal' account at a local ISP to host one of his venues .... then he received the next bill from that local ISP, something to the tune of over $100,000 U.S. ... which of course, got his attention ... (the ISP owner also mentioned that Leo's credit card limits didn't allow that charge to go through [in one pass] <g>) ... issue boiled down to the worldwide fans of that particular feed, a large number of which wanted to "know everything/anything as soon as it happened" ... so had their RSS 'refresh' rates set to mere seconds ....

So, as in the data above, even though the posting of a 'New Announcement' is actually pretty rare here ... your checking the feed every 30 minutes is still causing the transfer of over 16k bits of outgoing traffic at each check ... even though the anticipated response would be 'nothing new' ...

Absolutely not saying that you are doing anything wrong ... just using the data snagged as an example of why I really didn't want to configure the whole of the Forum to provide an RSS feed thing .... basically, I'm not the one paying for the bandwidth consumed <g> ....

Hadn't thought about the bw. Made an adjustment there.

Dumb me I thought that their "check for Updates" would work. Checked their www and see that it doesn't quite tell the truth. Thanks for that info. gives me something to do during dinner.

There are 2 other forums that I read that have RSS links. Their volume is not close to this one but I have not seen "stray" alerts.

And the dance goes on. B)

Just sitting down, working on warming the fingers up .... the day after the intial once/snow storm, I decided against shoveling out a driveway, figuring the plastic shovels avaible wouldn't much on the ice anyway, so just barreled the van through the pile left from the plow trucks. Worked fine .. until the front tires dropped down on the other side of the pile .... that dropped the body down and the tailpipes ended up dragging along the pavement, back around the rear axle. Just back from a brother's house, using his dry driveway to pull the tailpipes completely off, so I could at least use Reverse <g> ..... now the issue of flitting about town with both headers now running wide open .. that's another whole issue ....

Anyway, notepad instances, files opened, etc. ... I've got your log snippets from yesterday all sorted out, but .... all the RSS entries all read the same .. the 16266 bits ... whereas I was working with the premise that one of those entries would have shown a bit of an explosion, based on "I just received the whole thing" remark ....

The additional downside is that every (successful) access shows the same data load transfer. (The unsuccessful attempts .. one of those other items of interest .. three separate IP addresses showing a 403 response to trying the Calendar feed [40 bits] and a 403 to the Announcements feed [222 bits] .... not a big deal if one ignores the every-3-seconds-for several-hours part of that story .....)

OK, fired up a copy of FF here ... the 16266 data block 'is' the 'whole thing' ....

I'm going to have to say that the issue seems to be the workings of a cache variable on the receiving side .. one would like o thing that the "nothibng new" reply would somehow 'see' that nothing changed and stop ... but, perhaps this is another one of those things where the 'whole' things gets sucked down and then a 'compare' is made to raise a flag about something new ...????

That's ignoring that I was scrambling trying to figure just what was firing up my (software) firewall when there should have been nothing there to trigger it .... kind of disappointing to see that FF itself was throwing up those external links so "I could subscribe" using some external tools ... (which is something else I discovered sometime this morning, some folks have done just that .. Google leaves a footprint losting the number of subscribers for instance)

Anyway, off to yet another project for right now .... making something to eat sounds great. However, I still have yet to get around to retreiving all of my food .. moved to other peoples' homes/freezers/etc. while I had no power ..... Gads, I need to get organized .. somehow <g>

OK, fired up a copy of FF here ... the 16266 data block 'is' the 'whole thing' ....

I'm going to have to say that the issue seems to be the workings of a cache variable on the receiving side .. one would like o thing that the "nothibng new" reply would somehow 'see' that nothing changed and stop ... but, perhaps this is another one of those things where the 'whole' things gets sucked down and then a 'compare' is made to raise a flag about something new ...????

Wazoo, For an alternate viewpoint, I use My Yahoo to monitor the RSS feed and continue to see only the last message. I don't know if the feed is only updated when I access that site (my home page) or if it is updated more regularly.

Archived