SPAM traps

MIRT

Hello! I'm sorry for possibile re-requesting things discussed earlier. Because of my poor English I don't know how to ask properly what I want and search forum archives for it. If fomething like that have discussed above, don't kill me please - smply send me a link.

1. I serve a few corporate sites receiving much spam

2. Usually "spam waves" came across all that sites. So, mixing/crossing email traffic from all that sites

makes "realtime advertising view" deeper and helps to build more generous spam rules for all this sites.

Idea is:

3. Mantain a list of (about 100) trap-emails on each site and advertise it for spam-bots by

publishing on a special page called "Welcome to spam-bots!"?

4. Than, collect all garbage from theise boxes to simple account, rbl[at]mydomain.host for example (there are no normal letters because no real users reads them and they are not announced to real site visitors) and forward to a SpamCop submission using single pre-paid Spamcop account.

Goal is:

A. Make spam submission automatic ( for immediately bombimg spam sources at any time of day/night).

B. I assume, that if I have One real email and 100 "traps" on each of my sites, spammers have 1 chance against 99 to hit real address BUT they get a spam-shoot all other times. So, if spam-shoting have any effect, sending spam becames a nonsense, because a chance to be shooted is much more than a chance to promote business.

Question is:

I. Am I invent a bycicle?

II. How much does it cost using SpamCop?

III. Is SpamCop ready (and happy) for this scheme?

4. Than, collect all garbage from theise boxes to simple account, rbl[at]mydomain.host for example (there are no normal letters because no real users reads them and they are not announced to real site visitors) and forward to a SpamCop submission using single pre-paid Spamcop account.

It is generally not advised to do this. You could contact SpamCop deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net for more information.

The main problem is that SpamCop is NOT an automatic process. It is designed for YOU to monitor and confirm that the parser is working properly, specifically not reporting your own server. Also, a simple forward will not work with SpamCop submissions, you need forward as attachment, which can be difficult to accomplish automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

I can barely imagine the bandwidth and server capacity required to handle the volume such a service would attract! With most e-mail in the world being spam, and much of that going to corporate e-mail boxes, you could theoretically nearly triple the world's e-mail volume (get spam, forward spam, report sent for each spam).

That said, it has often occurred to me to trace and post the registration contact e-mail addresses for spamvertised sites on a spambot page. Probably won't get them to stop, and you'd have to manually wade through all the forged site registrations. Still, it might provide some sense of personal satisfaction.

Send an email to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net, they will usually be very helpful in setting up new trap emails. The method for submitting is a bit different, as it goes to a special trap address instead of a regular reporting address.

I don't know precisely what their rules on "advertising" a trap address are, but I know they will allow you to hide it in comment tags <!-- sometrap[at]example.com --> so that poorly configured bots (such as email harvesters) will pick it up, but a real visitor to the page can't see it.

Spamcop is free to use.

Archived