endless reporting loop.

techie

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1258208196z2...be99fe76f15619z

For some reason, this report seems to be stuck in an endless loop.. I report it, and go on to

the next item, which is the exact same one.. I must have gone round the loop 20 times or so..

Okay, I cancelled reports for that instance posted (*not a good idea* to post unreported/uncancelled submissions but, point made, it was a new instance). Now, if you're convinced there is a loop, you shouldn't be reporting each instance (near identical spam are common but not 20 or more, that sounds like you are correct but I can't offhand recall a loop thing happening before).

Obviously you are getting a new report ID each time you do report. Which is one datum.

What happens when you go to your login/reporting page where it says "unreported spam saved" and click on the "cancel all reports"? If you had further reports queued that you wanted to process you would need to submit those ones again (if cancel all works).

It actually looked like I was getting the same ID each time, or at least the last few characters of the instance remained the same.

I wasn't sure if I should cancel it, or leave it as is in case maintaining state might be useful for debugging.

...I wasn't sure if I should cancel it, or leave it as is in case maintaining state might be useful for debugging.
No worries - all data still available in the cancelled report.
It actually looked like I was getting the same ID each time, or at least the last few characters of the instance remained the same.
Now that's odd - sounds like an issue of some sort at your end (unless heaps of other users start popping in with "me too"s). An attempte to cancel all pending reports per my previous did nothing? Apart from ending your browser session and retrying maybe rebooting there's not much I can see you could do. If you can't sort it out with those measures, try contacting Don - service[at]admin.spamcop.net - to see if he can detect anything and/or clear the jam, maybe the system has stuck on just your account.

I didn't try canceling it at the time, since sometimes maintaining state can be an important component in the debugging process.

It's working fine now.

I wasn't having any problems reporting this afternoons spam harvest until that particular instance, and I haven't had any

problems since.

FWIW I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 / Firefox 2.0.0.2

I didn't try canceling it at the time, since sometimes maintaining state can be an important component in the debugging process.

It's working fine now.

I wasn't having any problems reporting this afternoons spam harvest until that particular instance, and I haven't had any

problems since.

FWIW I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 / Firefox 2.0.0.2

BTW, looking at the past reports for that IP address (66.255.52.74) shows no reports in the last 24 hous and only 2 reports in the last 48 hours, neither of which have your subject line. It appears the submit was not working for you. Since it is only one, I would skip it for now. If it starts happening again, I would leave it unreported and contact the deputies[at]spamcop.net address with the problem. They may like to see the problem in that state, but here, anyone in the world could follow your link and report it. Not necessarily bad in this case, just not a good habit to be in.

I get similar responses with the occasional spam when quick reporting but most of the time it will work if I do the full report on that spam. I haven't been able to find anything consistent about what would/might cause such behavior. In OE looking at this type of spam gives an odd behavior, the spam keeps appearing and disappearing. So I suspect there may be something in the code of the spam designed to cause this. Next time I have examples I wil attempt to post the tracking url. I am getting a few of them every day.

• 4 weeks later...
here's another couple examples.

note says "refuses to accept this type of report", and that is the only address listed.

Not sure of some of the background data. A reparse of one of your samples ends up displaying (for me) .. using the paste-it-into-the-box www.spamcop.net web page;

Report spam to:

Using abuse#keyweb.de[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.

Re: 62.141.50.5 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: abuse[at]keyweb.de (refuses to accept this type of report)

|x| To: abuse#keyweb.de[at]devnull.spamcop.net (Notes)

with that box checked ......

All of this sitting 'above' the "Send Reports Now" / "Preview" / "Cancel" buttons ....

Just saying that what I see isn't exactly what I read your description to say ...

All three show 'Cancelled' ... the first two appear to be the same, the third has a different Message-ID .... that the timestamps match in all three is defiitely a bit odd ....

<snip>

All three show 'Cancelled' ... the first two appear to be the same, the third has a different Message-ID .... that the timestamps match in all three is defiitely a bit odd ....

That's what he said - he reports it and it shows up again as unreported. Why would it only be reported for 'statistical' reporting? Is 'that kind of report' a mole report?

Miss Betsy

Not sure of some of the background data. A reparse of one of your samples ends up displaying (for me) .. using the paste-it-into-the-box www.spamcop.net web page;

Report spam to:

Using abuse#keyweb.de[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.

Re: 62.141.50.5 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: abuse[at]keyweb.de (refuses to accept this type of report)

|x| To: abuse#keyweb.de[at]devnull.spamcop.net (Notes)

with that box checked ......

All of this sitting 'above' the "Send Reports Now" / "Preview" / "Cancel" buttons ....

Just saying that what I see isn't exactly what I read your description to say ...

They were all canceled because otherwise I would still be clicking away at the first one. If you read the initial reports, I got scolded for not canceling the first one I reported, even though I thought that maintaining state might be helpful to the debugging process.

It is entirely possible that one of them was duplicated when initially submitted from here.. I did have a typo, and one didn't go out, so it was quicker to forward both of them a second time, hence the duplicate message id.

The basic problem is that I try to submit the report, and it comes right back to the top of the queue. No error given, just the same message again and again and again and again and again.......... until I cancel it. It never makes it out of the queue, and the URL never changes. When I first reported this, I had probably attempted to submit it 20-30 times..

It doesn't happen often, but it did happen one other time since the initial report that I didn't report at the time due to time constraints.

At any rate, we now have two data points, counting the initial report, and yesterdays report, now to figure out what they have in common.

They were all canceled because otherwise I would still be clicking away at the first one. If you read the initial reports, I got scolded for not canceling the first one I reported, even though I thought that maintaining state might be helpful to the debugging process.

The basic problem is that I try to submit the report, and it comes right back to the top of the queue. No error given, just the same message again and again and again and again and again.......... until I cancel it. It never makes it out of the queue, and the URL never changes. When I first reported this, I had probably attempted to submit it 20-30 times..

It doesn't happen often, but it did happen one other time since the initial report that I didn't report at the time due to time constraints.

At any rate, we now have two data points, counting the initial report, and yesterdays report, now to figure out what they have in common.

And previously, I had provided this bit of advice:

If it starts happening again, I would leave it unreported and contact the deputies[at]spamcop.net address with the problem. They may like to see the problem in that state, but here, anyone in the world could follow your link and report it. Not necessarily bad in this case, just not a good habit to be in.

Again, by posting a link here, you are advertising that unsent report to the world. The people in this forum, with rare exceptions, do not have any access into the backend of the parser to see what might be happening. The deputies are closer to that access.

I just signed up a colleague and spam that is marked for Quick Report and Delete, then the Release button is press the message that where marked show up again. Also, if those message marked for Delete only and released/deleted, they show up again. I don't have this problem on my personal account.

--Joshua.

I just signed up a colleague and spam that is marked for Quick Report and Delete, then the Release button is press the message that where marked show up again. Also, if those message marked for Delete only and released/deleted, they show up again. I don't have this problem on my personal account.

This sounds like a FAQ: I can report and trash but not Delete from Held Folder. Please check that link out and let us know. Thanks

Archived