Editing forum titles

qjvgpuryy

P.S. I tried to modify your title, but it is too long to modify, the title would have ended at the word by.

That sounds like a bug in the forum software - you shouldn't be able to enter a longer title than can be edited.

That sounds like a bug in the forum software - you shouldn't be able to enter a longer title than can be edited.

Not sure what was meant there. The description of the attempted action clearly stated that the 'character limit' set aside for the Title line would have been exceeded by the changes, thus would have been chopped off at another spot.

Not sure what was meant there. The description of the attempted action clearly stated that the 'character limit' set aside for the Title line would have been exceeded by the changes, thus would have been chopped off at another spot.

Wazoo, I guess I don't fully understand your comment. Have you tried the edit on this title? For me, it was cutting the title WAY short of the existing title meaning the OP was "able to enter a longer title than can be edited".

Existing title: Replying to 1and1, one of the world's largest hosts, blocked my spamcop!

Edited title: Replying to 1and1, one of the world's largest hosts, blocked b

I did not think the edited version helped much. Editing character limit seems to be 62. Creation character limit seems to be at least 72 since that is what is currently there.

Maybe later this evening, as I should have been somewhere else a bit ago ..

1. This needs to be split out from this Topic .. way off topic ...

2. Answer is very complicated ... as there is not 'one' thing that does it all ...

....(i.e., my notes on the 2.0.x version includes edits to over a half-dozen files to change the various 'limits' used ... at the time of a new post, at the tme of parsing a post for display, at the time of editing a post, on and on ... and the confusion at the time was that different numbers were used in in different places in that codebase.)

3. As noted elsewhere, the code changes between the 1.9.x and the 2.1.x versions were simply massive. And as we speak, my head is a bit wrapped around trying to work with the 2.2.x codebase, which once again, is massively different.

4. One quick look at one bit of code (on this version) brought up one of the obvious issues, which is that the 'displayed area' for editing was set to 50 charachters, although the 'actual' text string was still set to max (defined elsewhere);

<input type="text" size="50" maxlength="{$this->ipsclass->vars['topic_title_max_len']}" name="TopicTitle" ...

5. Really don't want to set the stage for the "battle for the longest title" competition. Noting also that playing with these types of variables has some downside issues that show up in other places ....

Anyway, out the door for now ...

Wazoo, I guess I don't fully understand your comment. Have you tried the edit on this title? For me, it was cutting the title WAY short of the existing title meaning the OP was "able to enter a longer title than can be edited". (snip)

That's what I was thinking - I guess it wasn't clear enough.

4. One quick look at one bit of code (on this version) brought up one of the obvious issues, which is that the 'displayed area' for editing was set to 50 charachters, although the 'actual' text string was still set to max (defined elsewhere);

<input type="text" size="50" maxlength="{$this->ipsclass->vars['topic_title_max_len']}" name="TopicTitle" ...

Invision should be fixing this. I think Wazoo knows the chances of that better than anyone else here.

5. Really don't want to set the stage for the "battle for the longest title" competition.

Yeah, whatever amusment factor there was would wear off REAL fast.

Anyway, out the door for now ...

Enjoy your evening.

(Note: edited to remove extra whitespace)

...1. This needs to be split out from this Topic .. way off topic ...
Done. Aagh, splitting topics! Straight-forward (tick the boxes, follow the sequence) except for minutes the only post visible in this newly split-off topic was David's #1 "it's a bug". Despite refreshing, colorful language and moments of deep desperation. Then followed David's posts through the member screens (not showing in "View new posts"), followed the link to the last and there they all were. Relief! Just some sort of latency? Anyway, most IPB forum application discussions apart from FAQ are in this forum so here's where it is.

Invision should be fixing this. I think Wazoo knows the chances of that better than anyone else here.

As far as 'this' goes, I'm not sure there's actually a 'bug' involved (will get back to that later)

On the other hand, as much as I'll admit that the guy behind this application is simply a genuis, there are some other things that are getting a but hard to work with. We have the age old issue of trying to keep-up-with/stay-ahead-of the 'competition' .. this means adding all sorts of 'kewl' tools, visuals, etc. ... but that also means that the end-users are also then required to 'keep up' ....

The jump from 2.0.x to 2.1.x lost Web-TV folks for instance.

The jump from 2.1.x to 2.2.x has brought on all kinds of additional (usability) issues ... IE5, screens smaller than 1024x768, ... don't even want to go into the issues caused by "work-arounds for IE6 issues that are now broken for IE7 users because IE7 was 'fixed' but still identifies itself/responds as IE6" ... the seemingly continuous changes in some FireFox .css and some HTML code handling as far as displaying a page ... add in the changes in Opera, Safari, on and on .... anyway, the traffic seems to boil down to that some other users may not be able to effectively 'use' this Forum after this next upgrade ....

Enjoy your evening.

Three people back on-line .. they're happy .... gave a 7-year-old his first motorcycle ride. That was a smile that made up for the no-money-exchanged-hands scenario.

Despite refreshing, colorful language and moments of deep desperation.

I'd sure like to say that I have no idea what you're talkig about there <g>

Will leave it as 'Thanks!'

Archived