Secret address not responding

arubin

For about a week, E-mails to my secret reporting address (which I'm sure the management doesn't want me to post here) haven't led to any response. Any ideas how I can tell if I've been declared "obnoxious" and the address has been turned off?

Most requests were sent from spamcop.net itself, even though the From: address is at sprintmail.com, but some have been sent through sprintmail/earthlink or rr.com.

The general flow of this is that your Reporting Account has been flagged, typically due to bounced e-mails to your Registered e-mail address. Normally, if one logs onto 'their' www.spamcop.net web-page, there's a sentence or two discussiong the issue, and if the situation is as above, there's a checkbox provided to state that the e-mail issue has been resolved ... and the Reportig system will try to woek for you again.

However, if you can't login, suspicions would be that your account has been 'handled' for some reason, usually due to 'breaking the Rules' .... most all of tis data is within the SpamCop FAQ .. links at the top of this very page.

Your statement of sending reports 'from' several places may tie into a MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account issue, leading to 'bad reporting' problems, but ... you didn't say anything about that ....

The general flow of this is that your Reporting Account has been flagged, typically due to bounced e-mails to your Registered e-mail address. Normally, if one logs onto 'their' www.spamcop.net web-page, there's a sentence or two discussiong the issue, and if the situation is as above, there's a checkbox provided to state that the e-mail issue has been resolved ... and the Reportig system will try to woek for you again.

It's quite possible I've reported some vendors who think I've subscribed to them, and it's even conceivable that I've reported some people who I really did subscribe to, which would be a clear rules violation.. However, it was a free reporting account, and I don't think there was a www.spamcop.net web-page associated with it. I verified the E-mail address, and that it can recieve E-mails from my spamcop.net filtering account.

I'll try reconfiguring the mailhost, as my home ISP changed name recently.

However, it was a free reporting account, and I don't think there was a www.spamcop.net web-page associated with it. I verified the E-mail address, and that it can recieve E-mails from my spamcop.net filtering account.

I'll try reconfiguring the mailhost, as my home ISP changed name recently.

Yes, even the free accounts can login to the www.spamcop.net site. Use your email address used to register for the account. This is the same page where you can use the paste in box to report your spam.

However, I believe you should see the same messages Wazoo described no matter how you log into your account.

Updating mailhost after a name change (likely infrastructure change) is a very good idea, however, it may or may not be related to your problem and likely will not solve the problem resulting from possible misconfigured mailhost. Also, keep in mind that there are a number of ISP's that scan and block outgoing messages they think are spam. Often submissions of your spam to spamcop will be blocked.

There is also an extensive FAQ on this topic. As Wazoo stated, there is a link at the top of every page.

The topics you should review:

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

Just to add, you need a password to log into the www.spamcop.net site (or members.spamcop.net). If that is an issue we can discuss the specifics - too many ifs, buts and maybes just now but essentially you might be ending up at the page Forgot your password? which is leading nowhere if SC can't mail to your email address of record.

If mail is being blocked, it's being blocked in odd places....

My E-mail receipt is all from the spamcop.net account, no matter where forwarded from.

I either forward at home through mail.sprintmail.com (with the ISP being rr.com) or from web access to my spamcop.net (with the ISP being rr.com or my employer) account to the secret address. In either case, my From: address is nn[at]sprintmail.com.

It's supposed to be sent to nn[at]sprintmail.com, and was up until 4/23.

nn[at]sprintmail.com is supposed to autoforward to mm[at]spamcop.net, and mm[at]spamcop.net is set to read from nn[at]sprintmail.com.

I read mail at mm[at]spamcop.net.

So, either my reports are being blocked by my employer as ISP, or spamcop is blocking mail actually from spamcop, regardless of the From: line, my sprintmail.com account is blocking mail from spamcop, with filtering off, or sprintmail.com is refusing to forward the reports (not the spam, itself) to spamcop. (I tried the "forgot password" link, and it says "no such account" when nn[at]sprintmail.com is entered.

I suppose it's possible that my address of record is kkk[at]mcimail.com, which has been dead for quite a while, but the spam reports had been coming in to nn[at]sprintmail.com, so I assume that would be the address of record.

I suppose it's possible that my address of record is kkk[at]mcimail.com, which has been dead for quite a while, but the spam reports had been coming in to nn[at]sprintmail.com, so I assume that would be the address of record.

The address of record would not necessarily be the email the reports are coming to. That is easily changed within the Preferences.

Have you looked over the FAQ entries? Are reports reaching spamcop (or do you not know that because of the login issue)? Blocking has also happened from SpamCop to ISP. This is likely where they are blocked in your case since you are submitting from multiple locations.

You seem to be stating that you have had a free-reporting account (possubly fiel, but you don't actually mention this) ... then there's the reporting account associated with a spamcop.net e-mail account.

There is no way to tell from this side of the screen which reporting account is actually in question ...

From the words used, I read it that you can't log into a www.spamcop.net web-page at all.

At this point, the only 'ovbious' answer would have to be that you need to directly contact Don/Deputies, providing all these e-mail addresses, to see if they can sort out what your Reporting account actually is, and possibly why you are having issues .... there's not enough specific data provided here for me to take it upstream on your behalf.

As StevenUnderwood states, my orignal free-reporting account is tied to a long-dead e-mail account .. if/when the cookie expires or I log in from another computer, I need to use a (dead) HotMail account as the login credentials, but the registered e-mail account to that Reporting account is now a GMail account ...

I don't know if reports are reaching spamcop. There's no user found at the "reset password" link for any of the plausible E-mail addresses I might have used.

As for blocking, I've turned off all the filtering I can at Earthllink/Sprintmail. If Earthlink is blocking spamcop, it's on their own.

Anything available for responses prior to 4/23? Specifically, the Tracking URLs for submited items at that time? At this point, you're basically saying that you have no data whatsoever to offer to Don/Deputies ...

You didn't register here with a SpamCop.net address, so again I say, I don't have anything to work with either ....

Dialog about blocking e-mail in this Topic was oriented towards out-going e-mail .. i.e. your SpamCop.net submittals ...

You have made no mention of whether you've looked at the FAQ entries here .... (though noting that Earthlink isn't in that ISP list)

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

Not meaning to overlook the entry titled Password Problems?

Archived