Excessive Amount of Held Mail

I've had a Spamcop email account for a few years, and it works as it should. That is, I would say that 99.5% of messages in Held Mail are spam. However, I am receiving 25-30 emails a day, sometimes more. Because of this, I find the only way to stay on top of things is to review my held mail everyday and delete them. The mistake I've made is giving out my Spamcop account for most newsletters, on-line ordering, etc. For a future remedy to this problem, I've started using Anonymizer Nyms, so that I can create disposable email addresses, and also know where the spam is originating from. Then I can delete a given email account and the spam is gone. However, what do I do about the email that's coming through now to my Spamcop account in Held Mail? I don't respond to any, and do not report any. I simply let Spamcop's filters do their job, and it does that well.

Thanks,

Chuck

The only choices are the same with anyother email account; live with it or change it.

Changing it is the same problem with every other primary account, making sure everyone, every forwarding account is updated with the new account name.

If it is really something you feel you need to do, then order a new SpamCop account and after you have taken care of all of the updating, then close the old account.

I would say though, that you spam level in you held mail is probably on the low side of average.

You could try using filters that would autodelete some of the worst spam; but the danger is of autodeleteing good mail with the spam, so you need to be very careful how you setup the filters.

However, what do I do about the email that's coming through now to my Spamcop account in Held Mail? I don't respond to any, and do not report any. I simply let Spamcop's filters do their job, and it does that well.

An option is using

http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog

to select "forward and Whitelist" which should stop this (check it is working after doing so)

For first contact it is best to use a free "throw away email" like Hotmail (use a 8 alphanumeric logon ID) also use this account for newsletters

I've had a Spamcop email account for a few years, and it works as it should. That is, I would say that 99.5% of messages in Held Mail are spam. However, I am receiving 25-30 emails a day, sometimes more.

Chuck,

I'd say that 25-30 spam messages a day is a low level of spam. I get around 250 each day so although the level you get is a hassle for you I think it could be a great deal worse :(

I'm of the opinion there is little more that you can do than you have already done although I suppose you could open a new SpamCop Email account and let the existing one lapse when it comes due to renew.

Andrew

Archived