Costs

andy trentham

I have been using, and paying for Spamcop for several years now and have paid around £250 to report spam. I am a supporter of what Spamcop does but it really miffs me that we have to pay for it. :unsure:

I understand that Spamcop need to be financed, and needs the money to do such a great job. But my gripe is why do we have to pay. Why not get the offending ISPs to foot the bill. We are helping them keep their reputation. :blink:

Unfortunately due to now being disabled i cannot afford to pay for the privilege of getting spam so once the credit runs out that is it for me :(

I still think the offending ISPs should pay to clean up there own backyard :angry:

Andy T

You can report spam for free. You don't get report history and some other perks, but reporting is free. Also, there is no filtering unless your ISP uses the spamcop filter (which he does pay for also).

The email service is not free, but it is only $30 per year. I don't think that it has been in business long enough for you to pay $250 (that's about 8 years).

It would be nice if the offending ISPs had to pay, but no one has figured out how to make them pay up even if billed.

Miss Betsy

The amount that i quoted is how much i have paid for adding fuel (as it states.)

It costs me $15 for 15MB of fuel I purchased 15 dollars worth last week and have used up 5 dollars already

I unfortunately get well over 500 spam emails a week. some cretin sold my email address on to spammers i have tried to get a new email account but have been told by my ISP that i would need to re register completely with a new account which will cause me no end of problems

Andy T

The amount that i quoted is how much i have paid for adding fuel (as it states.)

It costs me $15 for 15MB of fuel I purchased 15 dollars worth last week and have used up 5 dollars already

I unfortunately get well over 500 spam emails a week. some cretin sold my email address on to spammers i have tried to get a new email account but have been told by my ISP that i would need to re register completely with a new account which will cause me no end of problems

Hi Andy,

You could switch to a flat rate Email account for $30 for 12 months - instead of paying for fuel. Simply forward all your incoming Email from your current address to a new [at]spamcop.net address (or have that account collect your mail for you.

Or alternatively, speak to deputies[at]spamcop.net and request to have your current reporting account cancelled. Then re-register for a free reporting account as Miss Betsy describes.

Your financial contribution does, indeed, help SpamCop keep going and pays for the service you receive. But you can get a cheaper or even free service by these other means.

Andrew

Some cretin sold my email address on to spammers i have tried to get a new email account but have been told by my ISP that i would need to re register completely with a new account which will cause me no end of problems

Andy T

I fully recommend you get a SpamCop email account which will accurately sort "spam from ham" from all your existing email accounts allowing upon checking to report all spam in one go with a simple zap from your mouse. SpamCop is a high speed reliable email account that will allow you to send and Receive email from any computer connected to internet (My method here if interested)

You are best to then use the only email address you will ever need which will be your SpamCop one allowing others to die away as a legacy issue

It is also a good idea to get a throw-away email address, like Hotmail, for first internet contact using a eight alphanumeric "handle" like 1_2_buckle_my.shoe upgrading to your main email address when you are satisfied that your email addy is not being passed on.

Unfortunately too many people/friends one contacts, have their computer infected and will automatically add your email to a spammers list (and much worse, a zombie can give complete access to all descriptions of thugs with all sorts of malicious intentions)

As always I suggest one does a security check from my signature (It is a Symantec/Norton site and requires a download to check all weaknesses/ports used by zombies to control ones computer)

Archived