IPB powered by Apple IIGs?

qjvgpuryy

Just now I noticed that the bottom of each board page says:

Invision Power Board - Apple IIGs Powered © 2007 IPS, Inc.

I don't remember seeing that before - is that new? And what does it mean?

Yes, but is it the Woz limited edition? Oh and read the full thing to see the true power of the IIGS.

2.8MHz clock rate and acess to "megabytes of memory"?? Count me in!

Back in 1985, I bought my first Mac, a so-called "Fat Mac" with 512 KB (yes, that's a "K") of memory and 8 MHz clock on the MC68000 CPU. Not more than a dozen years later, I splurged on the top-of-the-line TI calculator to take my PE exam, and found to my amusement that it had the same chip, only running 25% faster. Plus, it ran on batteries, had no pesky analog flyback transformer to go kablooey, and weighed less than my paper copy of "Inside Macintosh." Oh, and it could solve calculus equations, too.

So it goes, as Kurt Vonnegut wrote.

-- rick

I don't remember seeing that before - is that new? And what does it mean?

I did that quite a while ago. A bit of humor for those that would remember a IIgs. Primarily, that string was to 'force' a bit of a change in the search engine archives. When a new hack is found, the normal plan is for the scriptkiddies to grab the code, hit the search engines looking for the application (and in this case, the version number) and proceed to whack away. This little change removes this Forum from most of those search results, thus lessening my (and the server's) work load.

Yes, but is it the Woz limited edition? Oh and read the full thing to see the true power of the IIGS.

I've actually only had my hands on one of those .... My (ex) mother-in-law made a visit, saw that I was running the wife's ceramics business on a IIc .. inventory, accounting, on and on ... she went home, hit a computer store, and came home with one of those "Woz" IIgs systems.

The "non-expandable" IIc I was running had a 1Meg memory expansion card installed, with a Z-80 chip to run CP/M stuff .... external 5-14" drive, 3.5" disk drive that would also read/write MS-DOS floppies, and a hard drive. I had to do things like writing a special print driver to put in some timed breaks, after melting the glue in the print head a couple of times while printing out the inventory listings ... the point being that there was a lot of data involved ...

On a trip "back home" I ran into the rest of the story firsthand. Back in those days, IBM was running a television add that demnstrated (?) that all one had to do was buy a computer and all your business problems were solved. The fact that 'mom' had never found the time to do an inventory of all of her business assets before buying the computer didn't change after she bought the computer either <g> So, she never did quite figure out just how the computer was supposed to hekp her out, as "it didn't know anything" .... and yes, I ran directly into issues with the lack of memory.

As much as a marketing geius that Steve Jobs may be, (in my opinion) he keeps missing the mark on some of the tehnology issues. The Apple II line selling well enough witn no advertising to keep the company going while throwing all resources towards the Mac, yet the Mac as originally designed was so limited in so many ways, never mind being so high priced. Oh those niave days of "who'd ever need more than 256k of RAM?" As far as the possible future of the IIgs, the power of the 65832 follow-in chip was simply phenominal, but .... it didn't git into the Mac line-up .. and by then the II section of Apple had pretty much disappeared. That they killed off the ethernet card was definitly the last straw ....

Be that as it may, I'll admit to having one of those original Macs, three IIgs', several IIc's, and the Franklin 1200 (a II+ clone) sitting around, some in storage .... that's in addition to the TI-99/4a, C-64, Sinclair, etc. in boxes (simply no place in this little house to set them up) ... and of course, the various Wintel machines dating back to the 8086 era stacked up in various places ....

I did that quite a while ago. A bit of humor for those that would remember a IIgs.

[snip] lessening my (and the server's) work load.

That sounds like a good thing to me.

Be that as it may, I'll admit to having one of those original Macs, three IIgs', several IIc's, and the Franklin 1200 (a II+ clone) sitting around, some in storage .... that's in addition to the TI-99/4a, C-64, Sinclair, etc. in boxes (simply no place in this little house to set them up) ... and of course, the various Wintel machines dating back to the 8086 era stacked up in various places ....

What, no Amiga 1000 (or 500)?

Yeah, space is always a problem.

I won't mention that the newest machine I have is a 75MHz Pentium One ... oops. ;)

(Note: edited to remove extra whitespace.)

What, no Amiga 1000 (or 500)?

first experience with a 500 was in Hawaii, one of my Navy guys. He was addicited to on-line game play ... issue being that Hawaii was long-distance to the rest of the world .. leading into a small issue with financial difficulties and a security clearance. Part of the 'cure' was to have him buy another Amiga, helped him to install some BBS software, and ... lo and behold, he became the 'local' source for some of those same on-line games. Went through the strps of setting up his Schedule-C business, took it subscription, and even his wife was a bit happier about "that damned computer" <g>

The 1000 experience was later in Virginia. In that heyday, he and I spent the day doing some of what we were actually assigned to be doing, spending much more time developing Foxbase applications to run on the iNTEL 310/320 systems running Microsoft's licensed version of XENIX .... ended up wiring about a dozen buildings together, hundreds of users, on these (originally 8MHz 286, some upgraded to) 10MHz 386 machines ... the "main" system in our office had two humongous 40Meg hard drives. One of the downsides was building a new system .... 1200-1300 5-1/4" floppies .... yes, it definitely took a small bit of forever <g>

Where I was originally headed there ... we'd do our "job", then we'd do all kinds of support things ranging from desktop PCs to mini/main-frames (IBM, Sunn, AT&T, DG, Dec, etc.) ... eventually we'd head home, me to my Apple II's, him to his Amiga 1000 ... at which point we'd do battle on numerous Tradewar2000 installs on various local BBS's. On some, we'd team up ... and that's where things got interesting, writing up some tools to merge data between my Appleworks databases and his .....??? dang, I don't remember now what app he was using ...

Yeah, space is always a problem.

I left a 4-bedroom, split level house in Virginia and am now residing in somethng like a 700 square foot house. I've had stuff in storage that I've not seen in years .. like all my vinyl albums .... I don't even have my full stereo unpacked/hooked up, again, due to lack of space.

I won't mention that the newest machine I have is a 75MHz Pentium One ... oops. ;)

My 133MHz machine (an upgraded 75MHz Blue Lightning 486 system) is still doing duty as my dial-up server, primarily used for troubleshooting ... have been looking at a dual 486 Compaq server sitting here as far as trying to resurrect as something else. However, it's currently part of the support platform that is holding three other working systems, so ne would have to start by giguring out where to move the other three systems .... which goes back to space issues ....

I'm watching television on a 13" TV originally bought back in 1983 as a display for a TI-99/4a. I'm going that a capacitor has failed in the horizontal circuit, the effect being that the scan lines in the top half of the screen are a bit scrambled ... I had an offer from a brother for a 27" TV he'd like to move (42" LCD in the living room now, the 32" TV slated to go upstairs if he gets around to building a shelf sturdy enough to hold it ...) and as much as I'd enjoy a larger picture (that's not half scrambled) I have yet to sort out just where to find a spot for something that large (and heavy)

1200-1300 5-1/4" floppies .... yes, it definitely took a small bit of forever <g>
Yikes!

I left a 4-bedroom, split level house in Virginia and am now residing in somethng like a 700 square foot house. I've had stuff in storage that I've not seen in years .. like all my vinyl albums .... I don't even have my full stereo unpacked/hooked up, again, due to lack of space.
Converting all those LPs to CDs (taking up much less space) would be a huge job, but just buying new CDs would cost a lot more. Maybe a conversion service ... ?

I'm not enough of an audiophile to prefer LPs over CDs.

I'm watching television on a 13" TV originally bought back in 1983 as a display for a TI-99/4a. I'm going that a capacitor has failed in the horizontal circuit, the effect being that the scan lines in the top half of the screen are a bit scrambled ... I had an offer from a brother for a 27" TV he'd like to move (42" LCD in the living room now, the 32" TV slated to go upstairs if he gets around to building a shelf sturdy enough to hold it ...) and as much as I'd enjoy a larger picture (that's not half scrambled) I have yet to sort out just where to find a spot for something that large (and heavy)
I wonder if it's an cheap fix - even if you get the 27" (too large for me - a 20" is about all I can stand) you might still want the 13" as a C-64 screen.

Converting all those LPs to CDs (taking up much less space) would be a huge job, but just buying new CDs would cost a lot more. Maybe a conversion service ... ?

I'm not enough of an audiophile to prefer LPs over CDs.

One of the real issues is that a lot of those albums are from groups that never made it big, therefore they are never going to re-appear in another format. Jign Kay (of Steppenwolf fame) ran into that very issue on his solo albums. Everywhere he went, he ran into the same fan questions .. where to find his old stiff ... he tried to get the record company to re-release his old stuff, they refused, based on the lack of sales of the original release. Eventuall, he had to buy the rights back (to his own music) such that he could re-release those albums (in CD format) himself. Most of the other albums I'm thinking of were done by folks with not so mych avaulable funding (or perhaps interest) And of course, the 'collectible' cover art that just doesn't have the same impact on a CD.

I recall sending a link to my old drummer, not doing bad finacially these days, suggesting that if he'd buy the turntable, I'd find the time to convert his (and my) albums .... this is a new laser-based turntable system .. what got me excited was the capability to 'tune' the focal point of the laser so as to posibly 'read' above/below the part of the groove that had been hammered/worn by the previous plays with a conventional stylus. What got him laughing was looking at the numbers before the comma in the price <g>

I wonder if it's an cheap fix - even if you get the 27" (too large for me - a 20" is about all I can stand) you might still want the 13" as a C-64 screen.

I've no doubt that it's nothing more than the 27-cent (only $5.99 at your local Radio Shack) part, but .... it's a bit of a challenge to even get to the channel-selection knob to turn it a few times every couple of months to clean the (mechanical) tuner contacts ...

Living room situation as we speak .....

four towers, three desktop systems, four monitors

three laptops

five routers (two wireless, one an 18 port thinnet box)

reaching that TV requires climbing over/past this stuff ...

One of the real issues is that a lot of those albums are from groups that never made it big, therefore they are never going to re-appear in another format.
I'm going to have that same problem.

And of course, the 'collectible' cover art that just doesn't have the same impact on a CD.
True.

I recall sending a link to my old drummer, not doing bad finacially these days, suggesting that if he'd buy the turntable, I'd find the time to convert his (and my) albums .... this is a new laser-based turntable system .. what got me excited was the capability to 'tune' the focal point of the laser so as to posibly 'read' above/below the part of the groove that had been hammered/worn by the previous plays with a conventional stylus. What got him laughing was looking at the numbers before the comma in the price <g>
If it was ELP Laser Turntables, they're currently on "sale". ;):rolleyes:

Living room situation as we speak .....

four towers, three desktop systems, four monitors

three laptops

five routers (two wireless, one an 18 port thinnet box)

reaching that TV requires climbing over/past this stuff ...

*a la Wayne and Garth* We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

That sounds more like the computer room than a living room!

I'm going to have that same problem.

some of this is not new, actually. I've still got some 8-track tapes that I've never found on vinyl, nich less CD. og course, the 8-track tape deck has been in storage for at least 10 years now .. I have no doubt that the tapes themselves are probably in bad shape ... typically, the adhesive on the metal tape strip had givem up, never mind some of the rubber idler wheels gone 'soft' ....

If it was ELP Laser Turntables, they're currently on "sale". ;):rolleyes:

Wow, this company has come a long way since the last time I looked at their product. At that time, their press release stated that they had sold five of those systems, which at that time, the sale price included the on-site technician's visit to actually set it up .... the Smithsonian Museum had bought two of those five units.

The last link I mentioned (and don't have available) was actually being hyped as a DJ version, the album being exposed so as to allow for 'scratching' .....

That sounds more like the computer room than a living room!

The "what life?" issue for sure. On one hand, I don't entertain guests .. on the other hand, when someone does show up, it takes quite a while to move stuff to allow them a place to sit.

That thing are so 'crowded' gets back to the issue of not yet moving hardware around to recover/use the data sitting on the fried system. That 'box' is sitting directly to my right, sitting on top of yet another tower, but alos has yet another tower system sitting om top of it ... and a scanner sits on top of that stack .... the computer I'm actually typing this on is sitting on the floor (underneath yet another mini-tower) on the other side of a desktop system on a roll-around cart ... KVM switch between that system and the tower inder the scanner .... The desktop system just mentioned is hooked up via another KVM switch to a monitor sitting at 45-degrees right, which is sitting on top of another deskyop sittong on a plastic milk-carton vox turned ipside down on top of a small stool ... and yes, this configuration leads into the problem of grabbing the wrong mouse, the wrong keyboard .... and of course, cut/paste actions don't fly via the KVM switches, so have to remember exactly what I'm working on where as compared to where I want the data to end up, so as to whether to do the select/copy action or save the data to a file in a shared folder ...

And don't get the wrong impression, these are not 'new' systems at all ... all cast-offs, resurrected piles of stuff that others didn't want .... Pentium 90, 100, 133 .... I do have a 2.5GHz Dell sitting here, but .. the case design is really strange .. a vertical clam-shell is the best I can come up with for a description ... hoge case, but not a lot of room internally .. and, as it's under the scanner at present, not really available to play with...

I'm using a "processor-burned-up, screen sold elsewhere" iBook to charge the battery packs for my iBook which has a bad DC-input card ....

A Winbook-XL laptop that was pulled out of a dumpster (brother actually pulled three systems from that dumpster, two with broken LCDs, only grabbed one power supply, all had hard drives and 'extra' memory removed) ... this one has USB issues, and likes to make a "pop" sound and reboot every now and then ...

On and on <g>

Archived