Should we try to resolve potentialy false reports

washmail

Six of my initial reports were also sent to three administrators at my own mailhost. These may well have been false reporting. I know that any further false occurance is prevented when configuring mailhosts has been completed, but shouldn't I help undo the damage (if there was any) by reporting this, and if so, to whom? (I have the report codes concerned.) Or is this 'normal' early activity and accounted for?

:unsure:

"false reporting" ...???? You are responsible for which reports fo out to which addresses. The more appropriate words would be "bad reporting" for which there are penalties.

further false occurance is prevented when configuring mailhosts has been completed

Not true as stated. MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account can help to minimize screwups. However, see all the other warnings, ooops postings, other error conditions that have shown up when an ISP changes their (routing) configuration without advising their users, and the users that blindly use SpamCop.net reporting tools getting into problem areas, such as the one you seem to be describing.

shouldn't I help undo the damage

The SpamCop FAQ entry on this 'here' would be titled How can I unsend a Report?

Or is this 'normal' early activity and accounted for?

Check the Pinned entries, other existing Topics, FAQ entries .... once again .. "you" are responsible for which reports go out to what addresses.

The MailHost Configuration process includes that you need to verify the results before actually sending out spam reports. As I recall, this was also explained to you in your other Topic(s)

Thanks, I will consult the FAQs.

Your concern in your reply is understandable. As explained the possible mistakes made here were initial, before I had gained understanding of these processes. I have taken the responsibility of both determining the possible damage and then posting my concerns. I'm sure once Mailhosts Configuration becomes compulsory these Newbie problems will fall away.

I'm sure once Mailhosts Configuration becomes compulsory these Newbie problems will fall away.

Most reporters find that they experience trouble free reporting once the setting up is complete. But there are few reporters who would recommend anyone to blindly report everything without confirming that the reports are going to the correct destination. You should not use any form of quick reporting until you have had the opportunity to work through the normal reporting method for sometime - I'd suggest two or three weeks as a minimum.

You are, as Wazoo notes, responsible for where the reports are sent. If you own ISP objects to your reports of their server then they could kick you off their service, complain to SpamCop about your reports or simply raise the issue with you - or a combination. If the SpamCop folk receive a complaint they can suspend your reporting privileges, kick you off the service or give advice.

The fact that you are new doesn't necessarily mean you'll be given an easier or more difficult time when a mistake occurs. What is expected is that as soon as you know of a problem you send a note of apology to the postmaster at the ISP concerned and you notify the SpamCop deputies of the mistaken report and ask for it to be withdrawn.

Andrew

Fair enough.

May I just point out that the level of technical competence and responsibility required to use the SpamCom report service is not made apparent when joining.

I will be taking great care in my usage...

May I just point out that the level of technical competence and responsibility required to use the SpamCom report service is not made apparent when joining.

The latest attempt at trying to solve the shortcomings of the 'official' FAQ is the Wiki .. links found at the top of the page. This tool was put into place as yet another alrernative 'view' .. as the Saturday-morning hack that started the single-page-access-expanded version found 'here' has generated its own complaints, some about it being so massive, some folks not liking the items linked to as answers, on and on ..... The opportunity is there if you can come up with a better explanation of things.

The latest attempt at trying to solve the shortcomings of the 'official' FAQ is the Wiki .. links found at the top of the page. This tool was put into place as yet another alrernative 'view' .. as the Saturday-morning hack that started the single-page-access-expanded version found 'here' has generated its own complaints, some about it being so massive, some folks not liking the items linked to as answers, on and on ..... The opportunity is there if you can come up with a better explanation of things.

In spite of the extensive work in 'explaining' how to use spamcop here in the forum, it doesn't solve the problem that there is no notice that one should have some technical understanding to use spamcop properly when one signs up. Particularly when many email applications have a 'report as spam' button that requires no thought.

And there is no reason to come to the forum unless you are having a problem. The official spamcop policy is not going to change (or, at least, there has been no change that I have seen and I have been around since very early). I don't know why there is not more official support for newbies, but that's the way it is.

Miss Betsy

I couldn't agree more.

As an ex IT officer I'm surprised how little I understood a few days ago; SpamCop is nothing like the other anti-spam options I've encountered.

Forgive my 'wet behind the ears' based assumptions here, but I believe some possible solutions are a short technical questionaire to determine competence (first directing those applying to a 'quick' tutorial) and/or some monitoring of Newbies' activity.

Thank you all for helping the way you do!

SpamCop is nothing like the other anti-spam options I've encountered.

I think a lot of folk that sign up for SpamCop reporting do so in the mistaken belief that it will somehow reduce the amount of spam they receive which, of course, is only true if they also implement a process to reject inbound spam based on the SCBL. I'm sure we gain many aspiring spam reporters who quickly give up when they discover that this is no such service. ;)

Andrew

<snip>

As an ex IT officer I'm surprised how little I understood a few days ago;

<snip>

...Although I'm not exactly in your situation (not an IT officer but a 28-year IT veteran), I can relate (although since I have had little exposure with internet and e-mail other than as a user, I was not so surprised to find how little I understood before joining SpamCop)! If you stick around here and read what is going on in the SpamCop forum, if you're anything like me your understanding is about to explode. Enjoy! :) <g>

Thanks Steve, if only I had the time...
...It only takes me about 1/2 hour a day to read new postings and that's only because I read pretty much everything (you wouldn't have to do that) ... activity in these fora isn't really all that high. :) <g>

What takes the time is answering! Big mouths like me can't resist putting their $.02 USD in.

Also what is the difference between an IT officer and an IT veteran? (sometimes in order to learn one has to ask questions!)

I had a problem the other day with an application and called someone who is supposed to know about these things. While I was there, I thought I would ask about an annoying characteristic that I haven't figured out how to fix. First she wanted to refer me to my IT department and when I said that, for all intents and purposes, I /was/ the IT department, tried looking in the preferences herself. When that didn't work, consulted with someone else, who said that it had to do with setting preferences in adobe, but who didn't remember exactly how (or more likely didn't want to take the time to walk me through it). Does that make me an IT veteran? <g>

Miss Betsy

Does that make me an IT veteran? <g>
Yep. And to go O/T momentarily, the typical corporate Adobe installation seems to have a maze of preferences which are not all addressable centrally - deployment can apparently involve multiple instances of "public" profiles. And "other users" keep changing those. A very slight taste of what the network people have to put up with, to segue back towards/in the general direction of the topic.

what is the difference between an IT officer and an IT veteran?

I believe a veteran would be someone with much personal and/or informal or 'unofficial' business IT experience, whereas an officer has more structured business IT experience (and (supposedly) a wider scope and responsibility than an IT manager).

Incidentally (partially back to the topic), is there any way to get stats/feedback info on our individual reporting?

Incidentally (partially back to the topic), is there any way to get stats/feedback info on our individual reporting?
If you are talking about an extended period, Don may have a handle on something like the total number of submissions and/or reports by a specific submission address. Wouldn't hurt to ask him if it is a "one off" request, for instance to set up your own records (contact using the admin address in http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/HowToContactSpamCopStaff - look for "The following is a last resort address if all else fails,").

Otherwise you are limited to a 90 day period of your past reports, accessed through a tab on your user log-in/web-based reporting page (and specify the max peiod in the drop down-list, default set to 24 hours and slightly "buggy" for one or two other time intervals but OK for 90 days, last I looked). Which might be all you need?

<snip>

Also what is the difference between an IT officer and an IT veteran? (sometimes in order to learn one has to ask questions!)

<snip>

I believe a veteran would be someone with much personal and/or informal or 'unofficial' business IT experience, whereas an officer has more structured business IT experience (and (supposedly) a wider scope and responsibility than an IT manager).

<snip>

...Well, what I meant was that an IT officer is someone who has a management role in IT whereas an IT veteran is someone who has many years of experience in IT. Often, but not always, an IT officer is also an IT veteran. I would not consider someone with informal or unofficial IT experience to be an "IT veteran," although that would be just as good for the context.

Archived