yet another &^$(&* Wazoo thing

Wazoo

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25329 for my reference

IPSBeyond _ IPB Assistance _ Adding New Member Invalid Email Error

Posted by: homeofeconomy Jul 16 2007, 07:08 PM

Please forgive me if this answer has been presented elsewhere, searching has not turned it up for me.

We use Invision for a private, internal company forum. All domain email addresses are .local for security purposes. Recently I upgraded to 2.3.1 and now I have a new batch of users to add. Because we only have about 100 members (many of whom are not computer literate) I manage the users by hand for now.

While adding my first user, I get the following error. "An invalid email address was entered. Please choose another one." The email address is in the form of user.name[at]internaluse.local

Is there a setting to allow .local addresses to work? I assume this is the problem.

Many thanks for your time.

Rob Pearson

Home of Economy

Posted by: homeofeconomy Jul 28 2007, 01:11 PM

Bump. Anyone have a thought?

I'd like Invision to not automatically assume a newly created xxxx[at]somesuch.local email address is invalid.

Posted by: Wazoo Jul 28 2007, 03:16 PM

Apparently, this isn't important enough for you to 'open a ticket' .... no one else wants to reply ...

So while I'm chasing code to try to sort out just where the 'problem' could be, I'm going to start with a question ... you offer some 'suggested' examples of just what you are trying to use as an e-mail address, but nothing specific ...

/../../sources/action_public/register.php offers the following 'checks' .. but I don't see anything there that would immediately point to not liking a '.local' address ... but is it possible that you are trying to use something else that in fact does trigger this logic?

//-----------------------------------------
        // Check the email address

$in_email = $this->ipsclass->clean_email($in_email);

if ( ! $in_email OR strlen($in_email) < 6 )
        {
            $form_errors['email'][] = $this->ipsclass->lang['err_invalid_email'];
        }

// Test email address

$this->ipsclass->input['EmailAddress_two'] = strtolower( trim($this->ipsclass->input['EmailAddress_two']) );
        $this->ipsclass->input['EmailAddress']     = strtolower( trim($this->ipsclass->input['EmailAddress']) );

if( preg_match( "#[\;\#\n\r\*\'\"<>&\%\!\(\)\{\}\[\]\?\\/\s]#", $this->ipsclass->input['EmailAddress_two']) )
        {
            $form_errors['email'][] = $this->ipsclass->lang['reg_error_email_invalid'];
        }
        else
        {        
            if ( $in_email AND $this->ipsclass->input['EmailAddress_two'] != $in_email)
            {
                $form_errors['email'][] = $this->ipsclass->lang['reg_error_email_nm'];
            }
        }

Still searching code while waiting for your response here ...

Posted by: Îœichael Jul 28 2007, 03:27 PM

[at]Wazoo

You could be a bit less obnoxious in your replies, if it's such a hassle for you to help here, don't bother.

[at]homeofeconomy

Try this. Open sources/ipsclass.php. Find:

if ( preg_match( "/^.+\[at](\[?)[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+\.([a-zA-Z]{2,4}|[0-9]{1,4})(\]?)$/", $email) )

Change to:

if ( preg_match( "/^.+\[at](\[?)[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+\.([a-zA-Z]{2,4}|[0-9]{1,6})(\]?)$/", $email) )

Save and upload. That (in theory) should allow email address with up to 6 characters in the top level domain part ('local', in your case).

Posted by: Wazoo Jul 28 2007, 03:47 PM

Returned to this to offer up that I just found the same bit of code that Michael offered up.

Obnoxius ..???? 12 days gone by since the Topic start before a bump appled ... issue noted at the attempted entry of user #1 .... implication that 'nothing' has been done on that Forum install in all that time ....

I offered 'something' in the first Reply while continuing to do research .... and you find this obnoxious?

Edit: follow-up from the Topic starter ....

Posted by: homeofeconomy Jul 28 2007, 04:36 PM

Thank you both for your replies. To offer my thoughts quickly:

1. I have a workaround - I've generally tried to use trouble tickets only for issues that prevent the board from being used at all.

2. The matter is a problem of the .local extension. If I change the address to use .com, it will accept it. I then go back in and edit the member to use the .local domain extension.

3. I've been on business in Japan for 2 weeks, and I apologize for my lack of attention to this thread during that time.

I will give the code you recommend a try - hopefully it will reduce my aggravation in creating new users.

Best regards,

Rob Pearson

Home of Economy

Wondering if perhaps this is the 'obnocious' post he's actually referencing?

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25678 for my reference

IPSBeyond _ IPB Assistance _ Ipb Help..

Posted by: brian Jul 28 2007, 09:53 AM

How you change group using mysql?

Posted by: yellow_spider Jul 28 2007, 10:33 AM

Mass move from one group to another...

UPDATE ipb_members SET mgroup = x WHERE mgroup = y

x = The new group to move them to

y = The old group to move them from

Posted by: brian Jul 28 2007, 11:14 AM

O I meant move a member from group to new group

Posted by: Wazoo Jul 28 2007, 11:54 AM

QUOTE(brian [at] Jul 28 2007, 11:14 AM)

O I meant move a member from group to new group

This seems like the fifth or sixth time this has been asked just within the last week ....

QUOTE(yellow_spider [at] Jul 28 2007, 10:33 AM)

Mass move from one group to another...

UPDATE ipb_members SET mgroup = x WHERE mgroup = y

y = The old group to move them from

And yellow spider even went to far as to explain the variables involved ....

UPDATE ipb_members SET mgroup = x WHERE id = z

z=member's ID number ....

On some Forums, Moderators would take all these "same question/answer" Topics and Merge them nto a single Discussion. This thing is definitely a FAQ (Frquently Asked Quesiton) .... yet, nost users don't seem to know about the "Wiki/Ineo/Articles' system to begin with .. on and on ....

Posted by: brian Jul 28 2007, 12:49 PM

Wait so how would I remove user 1 to the root group?

Posted by: Timmy Jul 28 2007, 12:52 PM

Why not just move the member via the member settings in the ACP?

Posted by: brian Jul 28 2007, 01:32 PM

Someone demoted me lol.

Posted by: CrossFire-Radio Jul 28 2007, 01:33 PM

ACP > Management > Manage Members > Find the member in question

Edit the member to the group you wish to put them in using the drop down box, that has a list of all your Current Groups..

Select the group > Save member... All Done

Posted by: yellow_spider Jul 28 2007, 03:03 PM

QUOTE(brian [at] Jul 28 2007, 07:32 PM)

Someone demoted me lol.

Were you a root admin then ?

Is that what you need, how to move yourself back to root admin status ?

Posted by: Wazoo Jul 28 2007, 03:27 PM

QUOTE(brian [at] Jul 28 2007, 12:49 PM)

Wait so how would I remove user 1 to the root group?

What is so confusing thus far in the SQL code examples offered? Why was the word "removed" used in this post?

As per the examples offered (again, repeatedly just this last week alone, countless numbers of previous postings of the same data ...)

UPDATE ipb_members SET mgroup = x WHERE id = z

yellow_spider / myself explained the variables involved ...

z = member's ID number

Struggling through all that hard stuff would seem to result in the following (assumption is that a 'default' installation is involved)

UPDATE ipb_members SET mgroup = 4 WHERE id = 1

But again, why is this so hard to figure out?

Baggage Wazoo - people always bring their baggage with them. Possibly an impression picked up about "you" from an unrelated exchange "elsewhere" as you say, another forum even. Willingness to take offence is usually an indication of that person's insecurity, nothing to do with you. I keep telling you - eagles don't stoop to take flies (Muscas non capiunt Aquilae - with the possible exception of that F15 from Eglin than landed on a police pursuit car down in Florida a while back). Let the little buggers buzz and ignore them. Justice is for wimps. My bill is in the mail :D.

It would be like 'chasing code' to figure out why some people react with 'obnoxious' while others say 'thank you.'

My theory is that people, by the time they get to asking questions in a forum, are so angry and frustrated that /anything/ that doesn't directly answer their question aggravates them. Ordinarily, they wouldn't take your questions amiss, but since you are often the first person to answer, they take out all their frustration with the problem on you.

Possibly, in this example, your comment on 'being important enough to open a ticket' combined with not having checked the board for two weeks seemed to them a slur on their attention to duty - not something you could have known.

Miss Betsy

I think we have missed the point here a bit.

The person posting the question is not the one taking offence.

Posted by: Îœichael Jul 28 2007, 03:27 PM

[at]Wazoo

You could be a bit less obnoxious in your replies, if it's such a hassle for you to help here, don't bother.

It is Michael who is addressing Wazoo which he then follows with a reply to the original poster.

I believe that Michael is one of the forum moderators.

Group: IPS Beyond sig.gif

I think we have missed the point here a bit.

The person posting the question is not the one taking offence.It is Michael who is addressing Wazoo which he then follows with a reply to the original poster.

I believe that Michael is one of the forum moderators.

...Ah, so the real issue to be addressed is, to Michael: if it didn't take you so $#(&%-ing long to do your $#(&%()& job and answer the question, Wazoo wouldn't have felt compelled to jump in and try to help (albeit in a manner you, without even explaining precisely what prompts you to do so, characterize as "obnoxious"). It could be argued that an "obnoxious" reply is better than no reply at all.

I think you are right, dbiel. Michael is another Don who wants posters to be answered, in a corporate 'customer friendly' way.

Ok, pop psychology. Michael and Don hate it when they have to repeat the same answer dozens of times a day, but that's their job so they do it. So, when Wazoo expresses their thoughts (and their thoughts are really obnoxious since they are all bottled up), they criticize Wazoo. They see his comments (which are generally not obnoxious at all -- although couched in colloquial terms and fairly blunt) as what they would 'like' to say themselves which having been bottled up are not just observations and opinions the way Wazoo's are and so they read into Wazoo's comments all the nasty thoughts they have about the idiots who don't read the FAQ and don't give enough information to give a decent answer.

The big difference is that when Don misunderstands the question or assumes he knows what the poster is asking, the poster gets an answer which is closer to the robot answers one gets from help desks than the real help that eventually Wazoo can give - after asking all his questions and grumbling about how the answer is in the FAQ.

Another big difference between Wazoo and Don (and I bet Michael is the same way) is that Wazoo doesn't carry a grudge or think less of one because that person disagrees with him. If the poster comes back with an attempt at providing the correct information and admits they are lost, Wazoo is very helpful. He is even helpful when they blast off (though it takes a while for them to realize that they are being helped sometimes). Don seems to like the 'deus ex machina' role and doesn't like to think he is among peers.

Miss Betsy

<snip>

I think you are right, dbiel. Michael is another Don who wants posters to be answered, in a corporate 'customer friendly' way.

<snip>

...Well "said" (to include the parts I snipped)!

...Another more concrete difference (I'm assuming here) between Michael and Don: Michael is entitled to direct the tone of answers there -- he is an "official (Moderator)" of that board; Don is not entitled to direct the tone of answers here (although he is welcome, IMHO, to offer his opinion on the subject, just as is anyone else) -- not only is he not an official of the SpamCop Forums, his employer denies that this Forum is a part of SpamCop.

OK, have been a bit negligent, it appears. Yes, Michael is one of 18 Global/Super Moderators. There are another dozen Corporate folks with Moderation/Admin powers. In all fairness, some of these folks specialize in what areas they contribute. Yet, it can't help but be noticed that there is a defiinte lack of Moderating, participating, actual customer care/support going on in there.

Here's one that dates back ages, bumped today, and only one respondant to this point ... an example of the stuff I don't want to see happen here ..

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22949

IPSBeyond _ IPB Assistance _ How To Replace Tag 'code' To 'codebox'..

Posted by: oissela May 9 2007, 11:31 AM

Hi, I would like to replace tag 'CODE' to 'CODEBOX' in my IPB v2.1.1 in order to use it as default 'Code Tag'. How can I do it? Which is the correct file to edit?

Thanks

Posted by: oissela Aug 5 2007, 09:14 AM

No one can help me??

Posted by: Wazoo Aug 5 2007, 06:27 PM

In my case, the desire was to add a button to easily select CODEBOX ... but the result is the same ... if you look around, CODE is basically a BBCode entry. The CODEBOX is an actual chunk of 'programming code' embedded within one of the application files. I gave up on the idea back in the 2.0.x days ....

On the other hand, there is a Modification Request Forum section ... maybe someone would take the time to work this out for you .....

OK, have been a bit negligent, it appears. Yes, Michael is one of 18 Global/Super Moderators. There are another dozen Corporate folks with Moderation/Admin powers. In all fairness, some of these folks specialize in what areas they contribute. Yet, it can't help but be noticed that there is a defiinte lack of Moderating, participating, actual customer care/support going on in there.

I stand by my "insecurity" diagnosis - or call it "guilt", same thing at the root.

Archived