full livemail header?

zelda

Hello,

The new windows livemail does not allow the full email header to show. I have looked everywhere, but the option is not there for us anymore, as it used to be in the good old hotmail version.

This keeps me from reporting emails on here.

What can I do?

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Zelda :)

This does not appear to actually have anything to do with the "MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account" .... As it does appear tp be a Reporting issue, then this post will move move the Topic into the Reporting Help Forum section ...

I read this somewhere - there are apparently two versions. Only in one can you reveal the headers

"You must be in Full Verson mode to do this.

* In your inbox, right-click on the email message displayed in the list of messages.

* From the drop-down menu that appears, click on View Source.

From there, a new window will appear that displays the full header of the message"

I can't vouch for this.

The new windows livemail does not allow the full email header to show. I have looked everywhere, but the option is not there for us anymore, as it used to be in the good old hotmail version.

This keeps me from reporting emails on here.

What can I do?

Change to the advanced service for free. Then you can right click then click "properties"

...A link to here is now included in SpamCop Wiki entry "GetFullHeaders."

Thanks .... I was wondering about getting to throwing something up in the How to ... section, but a couple of issues involved.

First of course, the database issue has turned out to be a bit of a monster, so that's really sucking up the time.

The second .... the last HotMail account that I have is one of those that dates back to before Microsoft bougt HotMail, and therefore one of those 'grandfathered' accounts that still allow access though OE. I have to qualify that at present .... OE6 / HotMail under Win-98SE still works just fine .... OE6 / HotMail under XP-Home or XP-Pro no longer works. This appears to be "by design" as there are some settings on the 98SE system that are not available on the XP systems. I keep meaning to try to do a Registry search and see if I can just insert string of data that way to "add" that setting to the XP systems, but .... it's that time thing right now ....

I guess it boils down to that I need to generate a new HotMail account (or simply give up on the OE6 access scenario) so as to march on with progress (??) .... Thus far, the only 'current' Windows Mail stuff I've dealt with was on a couple of Vista laptops in for work .... In all honesty, I have not kept up with all this Microsoft stuff .... Windows Mail, Live this and Live that ....

I have been struggling with this issue ever since Microsoft forcibly "upgraded" my Hotmail account a few days ago. I tried using the Full version, right-clicking on the subject line and selecting 'View Source', but when I paste it into Spamcop it says "No source IP address found, cannot proceed." I also tried forwarding the message directly to my Spamcop address, but that function doesn't seem to work at all (may be a Firefox problem).

Has anyone found a way to successfully submit spam to Spamcop using Windows Live Hotmail? This is really bugging me.

<snip>

I tried using the Full version, right-clicking on the subject line and selecting 'View Source', but when I paste it into Spamcop it says "No source IP address found, cannot proceed." I also tried forwarding the message directly to my Spamcop address, but that function doesn't seem to work at all (may be a Firefox problem).

<snip>

...Are you able to provide a Tracking URL? If the SpamCop parser is not returning one to you, can you please show us here by pasting into a post what it is that gets pasted in? Thanks!

...Are you able to provide a Tracking URL? If the SpamCop parser is not returning one to you, can you please show us here by pasting into a post what it is that gets pasted in? Thanks!

It says:

No tracking information found in header:

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0zLjQuMDt1cz0wO2k9MDtsPTA7YT0w

Probably not full headers

This is an example of the Source that Hotmail gives me (minus the body):

X-Message-Status: n:0

X-SID-PRA: SELF Magazine <cnp[at]email.condenast.us>

X-SID-Result: Pass

X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpWyU5JCCA4bN9BxjtEcfGepMKr6e6VlwML976Dh0i7MSBNqRvalrwSK3wkaBDm49gn8xM0+iqprtQ==

Received: from smtp.email.condenast.us ([204.92.153.16]) by bay0-mc8-f8.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2668);

Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:45:51 -0700

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_----------=_119031614810551433"

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-Mailer: MIME::Lite 2.117 (F2.6)

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:22:28 UT

To: xxx[at]hotmail.com

Reply-To: cnp[at]email.condenast.us

Subject: Enter to Win a Wellness Weekend in NYC

X-Campid: cid=35-uid=1049118-mid=243-pid=--

X-Pviq: 000144-000384-YME-35-243

X-Eid: xxx[at]hotmail.com

Message-Id: <20070920192229.29D98184504F2[at]smtp.email.condenast.us>

Return-Path: cid=99-uid=1049118_-mid=243-lid=56-eid=35-did=1-bid=99--[at]email.condenast.us

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Sep 2007 19:45:51.0330 (UTC) FILETIME=[D969DC20:01C7FBBE]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--_----------=_119031614810551433

Content-Disposition: inline

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Content-Type: text/plain

etc...

The immediate 'easy' thing seen is all the extra blank lines .... that will never work. As the error message states, the only thing parsed was that first line, then it saw the following blank line ... end of parse.

Ya know, I even thought of that the first time I tried it. I know the old Hotmail didn't add all those spaces when you viewed the message source, but I wasn't sure if that would really make a big difference in Spamcop, but apparently it does. So I guess the only solution is to manually remove all the spaces until Microsoft fixes the problem.

UPDATE:

As I mentioned in my first post Firefox is my default browser. I just now got around to trying this with Internet Explorer and guess what - it works fine. I know I should have tried that first, but I'm lazy (and IE runs sooooo slow on my PC). So anyway, I guess it's not necessarily a Microsoft problem, but more of a Firefox problem. I guess I'll have to check in their forums to see if anything can be done about it.

Thanks for the help!

... UPDATE:

As I mentioned in my first post Firefox is my default browser. I just now got around to trying this with Internet Explorer and guess what - it works fine. I know I should have tried that first, but I'm lazy (and IE runs sooooo slow on my PC). So anyway, I guess it's not necessarily a Microsoft problem, but more of a Firefox problem. I guess I'll have to check in their forums to see if anything can be done about it.

Thanks for the help!

And thanks for the feedback. Outlook (shudder) has a "special feature" to remove additional blank lines but that's (possibly) another matter. Let's know if you find a Ffx solution - I would be inclined to leave this "open" until any further comments along those lines might be received.

So anyway, I guess it's not necessarily a Microsoft problem, but more of a Firefox problem.

This sounds more like the typical HTML 'standards' problem .... the Microsoft page being tailored for Internet Explorer .. FireFox then handling those 'special' things differently. This is nothing new, dating all the way back to when Microsoft first released a web-browser .. the 'battle' back then being between Microsoft and Netscape. There was the alleged HTML standard coding structure, but both companies spent a lot of effort adding in those special (non-standard) features that made web-pages 'friendly' towards either browser, but usually to the detriment of one of them .. generally based on the leanings of the web-page author towards or against Microsoft.

It would be interesting to see the HTML code used to display the page you're seeing (limiting that possible request to just the section including some of the header lines demonstrated above ... looking for just what coding is used that ends up generating all those extra lines ...)

Dang, that reminds me, I told someone ages ago that I would upload corrected copies of some Microsoft unsupported tools originally released for IE5.5 that actually still work just fine under IE7 .. along with installation instructions .... one of those was a "view partial source" utility ....

Actually I'm going back to my original opinion that this is Microsoft/Hotmail's fault. As I said, in the old version of Hotmail I could click on the link that said 'View Message Source' and it would display just fine. I agree with Wazoo - they seem to be using some code that only appears to work right in IE, but Firefox is actually displaying it 'correctly' as it's written. Yet another attempt to eliminate the competition.

Anyway I sent an email to Hotmail explaining the problem, but I seriously doubt if they'll get back to me. If anyone with more computer skills than me wants to further investigate this, both Firefox and Hotmail are free. Maybe together we can come up with a solution.

I agree with Wazoo - they seem to be using some code that only appears to work right in IE, but Firefox is actually displaying it 'correctly' as it's written. Yet another attempt to eliminate the competition.

Not that I'm sticking up for Microsoft, but .... writing code to be displayed on a web-page is really an exercise these days. One would try to use 'valid' code so that the various checkers wouldn't kick up alarms, knowing that tgis may not help all users ... the page might be defined as using HTML1.1, but some user's browser arrives and makes complaints because the page coding isn't complaint with HTML4 .....

Even if valid code is used, some browsers are known to not handle some standard code the same as some other browsers .... thus one ends up having to add code to work around browser idiosyncracies. One of the most horrific of this work-arounds arrived with IE7's offering .... IE7 announced itself as being IE6, but had actually had some major code differences, 'fixing' some older known issues ... the catch being of course, that by coming dressed as IE6, a lot of the IE6 problem workarounds now served to screw up the page under the 'now-fixed-but-with-new-different-issues' IE7 browser window. Thus began the world-wide slew of the "your *&^$%(& web-page is broken, sucks, etc." e-mails and postings.

Anyway I sent an email to Hotmail explaining the problem, but I seriously doubt if they'll get back to me.

Bringing up some memories of my dialog with "them" about them cancelling my oldest HotMail account (dating back to within a coulpe of weeks after HotMail showed up, years before Microsoft bought them out) due to my spamming activity ..... whatever "customer service" crap software those folks were using added a blank line between every line of text. At the start of things, I would be nice and edit out those lines when replying. However, as the frustration and the lunacy levels continued to increase, I stopped doing that .... I recall that one particular exchange, obviously being passed around at "thier end" .. had something like 23 blank lines between each line of text in the original e-mail content. Impossible to actually read any of that type of crap and actually keep up with what was actually there.

I just checked a header from Live mail and everything was perfect no spaces no html nothing but a pure header. (Munged where needed with x's)

X-Message-Status: n:0

X-SID-PRA: xxxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxx.com <xxxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com>

X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpX7T58+9Tbdi7O5bDXLEjf7jgtn7O9HQnWPYpCyZSmX1c908DxLsK4FhUsS9/TliEE=

Received: from xxxxxxxxxxxx.com ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by bay0-mc8-f18.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2668);

Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:15:38 -0700

Received: from Merlyn [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com with ESMTP

(SMTPD32-6.06) id A95815C301EC; Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:17:12 -0400

Received: from xxx.xxxxxxxx.det-mi.dsl.cnc.net ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by xxxxxxxx.com with BCware NoSPAM SMTP Daemon (v1.5.8);

Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:17:12 -0400

X-BCware-Sender: xxxxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxx.com

Message-ID: <002b01c7feef$fc3c0820$71a8a8c0[at]xxxxxx>

Reply-To: "xxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxxx.com" <xxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxxx.com>

From: "xxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxxx.com" <xxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxxx.com>

To: <xxxxxxxxxx[at]hotmail.com>

Subject: test

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:15:07 -0400

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0028_01C7FECE.74C16D20"

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138

Return-Path: xxxxxxxx[at]xxxxxxxxxxx.com

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 24 Sep 2007 21:15:38.0806 (UTC) FILETIME=[0E407560:01C7FEF0]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C7FECE.74C16D20

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

testing.......................

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<HTML><HEAD>

<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =

charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16525" name=3DGENERATOR>

<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20

size=3D2>testing.......................</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Dang, that reminds me, I told someone ages ago that I would upload corrected copies of some Microsoft unsupported tools originally released for IE5.5 that actually still work just fine under IE7 .. along with installation instructions .... one of those was a "view partial source" utility ....

Now found at IE extra tools

I just checked a header from Live mail and everything was perfect no spaces no html nothing but a pure header. (Munged where needed with x's)

And also noting that Miss Betsy made a post over in the spamcop newsgroup on this subject .....

[scspamcop] Re: forwarded spam delay Miss Betsy

It definitely appears that someone is going to have to go through all the various options, settings, configurations, combinations of this Live HotMail crap, various browser settings, etc. to actually then come up with a How to ... on this particular issue, combination of applications. This used to be the type of thing that I'd jump on, but for some reason ... having a hard time getting excited about it these days.

There is another strange (we are talking about Microsoft) thing with this new Windows Live Hotmail. As stated here in this thread you can right click the email and View Source to get the spam with full headers. But I'll be darned if I can figure out how to have those full headers when forwarding the spam.

If you forward the email - as I used to forward most spam to the source ISP and to spam[at]uce[.]gov when I was using the older version of hotmail - the full headers do not get forwarded.

I sure would like to know if anyone has figured this out, as I would like to continue forwarding spam to the appropiate places.

Well I haven't figured it out - the default for the forwarded mail appears (I have only Outlook to play with at the moment) to be to attach two files, one of which includes the headers. In some (receiving) applications those attachments would be readable in-line but there would be format/layout issues even then.

[added on edit]

(Oh, and just to clarify, the "other" attachment appeared as an attachment itself in hotmail)

• 3 months later...

Hello one and all.

I'm having some problems reporting spam via the form, using spam messages sent to my Windows Live Hotmail account.

I usually get the 'No source IP' error message. This is using the full headers (as far as I know) from Hotmail (eg. right-click the message, click View Source, and paste that entire text into the form).

I'd read elsewhere here that it could be a problem with my mailhosts setup, so I tried to run that again. Hotmail has 4 MX's that come up, but when I paste the source of any of those messages into the appropriate form, I get a message indicating I didn't provide full headers.

That all leads me to believe that it's the way Hotmail is formatting the headers. Or I'm simply not getting the information I think I am by using the source of the message. Is anyone else experiencing this, or does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Merged this 'new' Topic into the most recent 'busy' discussion. PM sent to advise.

I'd read elsewhere here that it could be a problem with my mailhosts setup

I'd be very curious as to just where, as the problem you mention and the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account would not have any connection.

but when I paste the source of any of those messages into the appropriate form, I get a message indicating I didn't provide full headers.

as above, no connection between the two different subjects.

That all leads me to believe that it's the way Hotmail is formatting the headers. Or I'm simply not getting the information I think I am by using the source of the message. Is anyone else experiencing this, or does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Discussion within this existing Topic says that there is a problem, some folks have suggested work-arounds. Unfortunately, few have taken the time to follow-up and say that their issue was resolved.

• 1 year later...

Archived