Webmail Security Certificate Expired

I just had a problem logging onto webmail. I got the Certificate has expired warning, and looking at the details, it seems the one year cert is definitely expired. Don't know why it took until 21:30 EDT to expire. I have been logged in all day with no problems.

I have sent in a problem report, but it may take a bit to get it straightened out as it is after hours.

The last time (odd that it seems like it was only within the last couple of months) JT took care of it basically as soon as he was aware of it. As you've already sent the notify, I won't ....

Unless you can page him... I just sent a Problem report from within Webmail.

I just had a problem logging onto webmail. I got the Certificate has expired warning, and looking at the details, it seems the one year cert is definitely expired. Don't know why it took until 21:30 EDT to expire. I have been logged in all day with no problems.

I have sent in a problem report, but it may take a bit to get it straightened out as it is after hours.

Isn't this predictable and avoidable?

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

Sep 27, 2007

[19:49 EDT] The SSL certificates for several of our servers will expire today. Unfortunately, the SSL provider we purchase certificates from is down right now and we can't buy or install replacement certificates. This does not affect our systems and your email or web sessions are still encrypted and private. Please just ignore any warnings you receive about invalid or expired certificates. We plan to have this fixed by the end of the day Friday.

Isn't this predictable and avoidable?

It depends on where (or if) the notices from the vendor come in. If it is a heavily used address, it is quite possible to be overlooked. Spamcop is NOT JT's only domain.

I work as a company that owns about 2 dozen that were purchased haphazardly over the hears through different vendors. Very hard to keep track of. We are currently trying to convert these as they wexpire to one vendor, but many were multi year deals.

I have two back-up sets of keys -- and if I had thousands of people relying on my car for mission-critical business services, I'd probably have a backup vehicle as well.

Geeze ... and here I'm supposed to be nice .... you want to play with specifics then .. fine ....

What I can't believe is that this post was made "after" the announcement of the problem and the solution had been applied.

E-mail traffic did not ever stop. The SSL 'warning error' was bypassed by most everyone else concerned (that use it in the first place)

Mission-critical e-mail ???? you have to be joking. You hope all the following is true;

your system doesn't eat it on the way out.

your host/ISP doesn't have an issue between your e-mail being dropped off and delivering it

your upstream does have 100%+ redundancy in its connection to the world.

the receiving e-mail server doesn't have an issue between receiving it and the recipient reading it

the recipient actually will receive your e-mail

the recipient actually will actually see and read your e-mail

There are several places where even if the mechanical/electrical/electronic things work, some human may have gotten involved and threw up a filter into the mess that did something with your e-mail ... recent Topic here where a user tried to write/apply a filter and 'all' the e-mail disappeared ... add in the dead laptop, the hard drive died issues, the simple on-a-plane-fir-a-number-of-hours, perhaps on the way to a vacation ... on and on .... many ways to verify that an e-mail made the trip ..... acts of lunacy involved in trying to find out why an e-mail got lost at times ....

Then let's take the next 'response' .. you have "two backup sets of keys" but not one plan for a single e-mail server issue? That sure sounds like extremely poor "mission-critical" planning.

Archived