[Resolved] Social network invitations; spam?

silentlarry

I think the "If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, then blowing it out of the sky with environmentally responsible ordnance is justified" rule probably applies. How did "your friend" get your address? If you didn't give it to him and invite him to spam you (noting he admits he stands to profit) then he is a spammer. Of the lesser sort, perhaps. Reporting certainly would not be unreasonable on your part IMO.

The issue here is about how such social networks are designed to operate and what, implied, consent does a user give?

I don't know hoverspot as a service and so my comments are based on other social network sites I do know - such as Facebook.

The approach on these sites is to encourage the building of lists of friends. So, once registered with the site it is expected that you will receive invitations to become 'friends' with other users. It is possible, indeed likely, that some of these so-called 'friends' will, in fact, be strangers. But by registering in the network you invite those folk to contact you.

So, if you have registered in the network and these invitations to virtual friendship are as a result of your registration then I would personally argue that these are legitimate messages and I would not report them as spam.

If, though, the invitations are cold-calling, ie you haven't registered with hoverspot, then I'd say they are spam.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
... So, if you have registered in the network and these invitations to virtual friendship are as a result of your registration then I would personally argue that these are legitimate messages and I would not report them as spam.

If, though, the invitations are cold-calling, ie you haven't registered with hoverspot, then I'd say they are spam.

That's exactly my opinion too. Thanks.

Archived