Rockwell's Retro encabulator

Farelf

{sigh} from the title I took it to be a way to regress a Windows installation (stuff it all back into the source .cab files). But no, it is the lineal descendent of the famous turbo encabulator of yesteryear:

Ah well, something which prevents sinusoidal deplanation of the power supply as mere byproduct of its operation would be a boon in an increasingly energy-conscious world (and catch up with all those cheats who phase-shift their lighting circuits). :D

{sigh} from the title I took it to be a way to regress a Windows installation (stuff it all back into the source .cab files). But no, it is the lineal descendent of the famous turbo encabulator of yesteryear:

Actually, I think that there was briefly a term used to describe the act of converting a Windows PC to run Linux etc. -- "defenestration."

I also recall 20 yrs. or so ago a colleague showing me a spec sheet for an IC chip known as a "write-only memory." This apparently was also made in hard disk form, as I have several of these stacked in my study.

-- rick

...Actually, I think that there was briefly a term used to describe the act of converting a Windows PC to run Linux etc. -- "defenestration."
Defenestration is an excellent thing to do with computers of all types Unfortunately since the Great Depression (that is over the past 3-4 generations) it has become increasingly difficult to find office buildings with windows that actually open - and dwellings hereabouts are mostly bungalows. Needless to say defenestration from a single story building is essentially unsatisfactory and disappointing.

One might hire a light aircraft of the type used by skydivers and kick the bloody things out at 10,000 feet (without a parachute) but that is apparently forbidden by civil aviation regulations in this benighted country. The place is run by a confederacy of fools and poltroons.

Heck, we used to be able even to stake out mineral claims from the air not so long ago - tie a streamer to the blunt end of a star picket, twist tie the claim details to the upper end too and spear 'em in from a helicopter at twelve hundred feet. Now there's concern that fellow citizens might be skewered or, worse yet, a resting bungarra or itinerant boody rat impaled (should the latter have somehow avoided the attention of the former). This is in a country where the average population density over 95% of the landmass is about 0.2 per square mile f' Pete's sake. {sigh}

Heck, we used to be able even to stake out mineral claims from the air not so long ago - tie a streamer to the blunt end of a star picket, twist tie the claim details to the upper end too and spear 'em in from a helicopter at twelve hundred feet.

Call me sick <g> .. Flashback of an ancient WKRP TV episode about a Thanksgiving advertising campign for the radio station ..... tossing live turkeys from a helicopter over the city ....

Who knew turkeys couldn't fly????

...Who knew turkeys couldn't fly????
:lol: Odds are some of them could - they just didn't try a large enough number! Sounds like a research grant for the asking. Probably a good idea to shift the drop zone though. WKRP's Thanksgiving Fiasco

Then there's all those other allegedly "flighless" fowls. The emu comes readily to mind. And penguins (the whole family Spheniscidae). No telling what a touch of "selection" pressure might reveal. Mayhap the release of birds from aircraft in-flight is the loophole in the Department of Civil Aviation's1 draconian and unreasonable regulations (after all, they allow skydivers to leap and I don't know that parachutes are actually specified). Thank you Wazoo, for showing the human spirit is indomitable.

1Now the Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASA - DCA split into Airservices Australia and CASA to clarify and focus on areas of responsibility and they immediately expand and redefine their responsibilities!

• 11 months later...
:lol: Odds are some of them could - they just didn't try a large enough number! Sounds like a research grant for the asking. Probably a good idea to shift the drop zone though. WKRP's Thanksgiving Fiasco

Yes, I didn't get the quote right. I have no idea what the limitations of access might be (I can't see some BBC specials because it's only for UK citizens, a nephew over in the Kuwait area can't watch most of the US network television shows/feeds off of their web-sites, also limited to US citizens, etc.) but I did come across this last night ....

WKRP in Cincinnati - Turkeys Away

Just the quote

I also recall 20 yrs. or so ago a colleague showing me a spec sheet for an IC chip known as a "write-only memory." This apparently was also made in hard disk form, as I have several of these stacked in my study.

About the same time the computer maintenance shop had a logic diagram and schematic for a write-only memory chip. The chip was 64K x 8 bits. If you followed the logic through all the gates eventually you ended up at a single resister that "stored" the 8 bits of data.

Actually, I think that there was briefly a term used to describe the act of converting a Windows PC to run Linux etc. -- "defenestration."
Defenestration is an excellent thing to do with computers of all types Unfortunately since the Great Depression (that is over the past 3-4 generations) it has become increasingly difficult to find office buildings with windows that actually open

<snip>

...Farelf, are you thinking that Rick's quote was suggesting literal defenestration? That's what I thought, too, at first but now I'm thinking it's a pun ("throw the computer out the Window" by de-implementing the Windows OS and replacing it with, say, Linux). Rick, do I have it right?

...<snip>...Farelf, are you thinking that Rick's quote was suggesting literal defenestration? That's what I thought, too, at first but now I'm thinking it's a pun ("throw the computer out the Window" by de-implementing the Windows OS and replacing it with, say, Linux). ...
No, no - I took it as a neat tech. term for changing out the OS from the days before VMWare and the like, I just seized the pun and ran with it, like a receiver in a game of armpitball :D. Much as I love the idea of the literal defenestration of errant hardware (all software is evil or 'possessed', in my view, especially OSs, post DOS 3.1 and all BIOS since forever) I am not sufficiently obsessed to believe it happens often or even to hunt up the inevitable YouTube footage of such (though if anyone has a link to video of a computer being 'slotted' by, say, an M60 GPMG that might be appreciated). And the flying penguins are definitely worth a view -

• 1 year later...

I think the USAF may have obtained help from those Rockwell people for their missile (GLCM) guidance manual:

Sounds like Donald "Known Unknowns" Rumsfeld got together with Bill "Depends on your definition of 'is'" Clinton on this one. Either it is a joke, or it is very very sad.

-- rick

On edit: speaking of sad -- had to fix my wandering syntax. Should not throw stones, I suppose.

Archived