Stupid spammers

mrmaxx

Are they just stupid or do they really think someone in the USA is going to be able to read their Russian spam? Also, just for giggles, I got a spam from "i-lamer". Seems appropriate to me. :lol:

Are they just stupid or do they really think someone in the USA is going to be able to read their Russian spam? Also, just for giggles, I got a spam from "i-lamer". Seems appropriate to me. :lol:

guess that just proves the accuracy of rule #3: "Spammers are stupid." :lol:

Sorry to but in :D

Seem to recall hearing that UCE is just another way of doing business in Russia and what we see is just the unintentional "splatter". If that was true the email addresses would be true (or a contractor). Or maybe botnets provide a price advantage. Dunno, I don't look at it that closely but it is hard to imagine the point otherwise (the few I've bothered to translate were definitely of no interest to anyone outside of the local Russian area). They surely need slapping for their list control lapses.

Are they just stupid or do they really think someone in the USA is going to be able to read their Russian spam?
They simply don't care. They mail to any e-mail address they can find because they have the resources to do so. There is no incentive for them to screen or preen their mailing lists. As Farelf says, spam is pretty much S.O.P. for many businesses in Russia.

-- rick

They simply don't care. They mail to any e-mail address they can find because they have the resources to do so. There is no incentive for them to screen or preen their mailing lists. As Farelf says, spam is pretty much S.O.P. for many businesses in Russia.

Yup, that's correct ... and I've tried and tried to get them translated, but have been unsuccessful.

I would at least like to extract the spamvertised URLs to report to Knujon.

I've been getting slammed by some criminal who forged MY email address into the "Sent" field, so I'm getting 3 or 4 bounces a minute since early this morning. 60% of the bounces are in Crylic -- so obviously sent from a foreign country, aimed at foreign users -- but MAILED TO U.S. USERS...

Another 20% are from Japan or Korea.

Is there any more substantial data that the U.S. email system is under attack from foreign entities?

Yup, that's correct ... and I've tried and tried to get them translated, but have been unsuccessful.

I would at least like to extract the spamvertised URLs to report to Knujon.

I've been getting slammed by some criminal who forged MY email address into the "Sent" field, so I'm getting 3 or 4 bounces a minute since early this morning. 60% of the bounces are in Crylic -- so obviously sent from a foreign country, aimed at foreign users -- but MAILED TO U.S. USERS...

Another 20% are from Japan or Korea.

Is there any more substantial data that the U.S. email system is under attack from foreign entities?

Most of the Cyrillic spam I get does not contain any web links, typically just phone numbers. I suspect that this is intentional. Most of the ones I get are for various kinds of household goods & services, occasionally some for "business seminars," and of course lots of spams advertising e-mail advertising services. Apparently, spam is pretty much a routine feature of retail-level commerce in Russia.

You can translate these by pasting their Cyrillic text into Google's language tools page. If you are viewing the raw body from a SpamCop page (or from a text editor, etc.) you will have to reset the browser to use the appropriate character set indicated in the MIME info for the message (usually Windows-1251).

I was recently subjected to lots of bounces, mostly from Russian servers. My conjecture is that the spammer forged my address but then sent mainly to Russian addresses, and that some of the Russian mail services were misconfigured to provide delay bounces. I LARTed all of the bounces through SpamCop. Fortunately they lasted less than a day.

I think it goes without saying that U.S. (and everyone else's) e-mail addresses are under attack by spammers. That's why we're all here at SpamCop.

-- rick

Archived