HELP! Can I prevent getting BLOCKED ???

showker

In the past 24 hours I've received 878 bounces from postmasters returning mail I DID NOT SEND ... spam.

Many of them say it's "spam" and that I'm now being blocked.

HOW CAN I head this off before getting blocked in the big spam black holes???

Preventive measures???

I continue to get one or two new bounces per minute.

In the time I wrote this post, I got 7 more.

HELP

:o

PS: I've analyzed all the bounces and it appears to be only a half-dozen spamvertised sites, and the main senders are in Poland and Korea

Nearly all widely used blocklists block based on IP address. If the spam is originating from somewhere other than your own computer, and just has your email address forged in the FROM or REPLY-TO fields, which is most likely the case, then you have nothing to worry about. The only thing being "listed" is the IP address from which those messages actually originated.

In the past 24 hours I've received 878 bounces from postmasters returning mail I DID NOT SEND ... spam.

Many of them say it's "spam" and that I'm now being blocked.

And just what idiots would be allowed to run an e-mail server that would still be running a Blocking List based on the From: e-mail address?

For you, the question would have to be more like .. are any of these scare-tactic returns actually coming from a Host that would actually impact your services, newsletters, mailing-lists, etc.?

As this has nothing to do with the SpamCopDNSBL, I am moving this to the Lounge area with this post.

And just what idiots would be allowed to run an e-mail server that would still be running a Blocking List based on the From: e-mail address?

Why, the same idiots that run mail servers that send bounces to forged from addresses, of course!

• 2 weeks later...

For you, the question would have to be more like .. are any of these scare-tactic returns actually coming from a Host that would actually impact your services, newsletters, mailing-lists, etc.?

As this has nothing to do with the SpamCopDNSBL, I am moving this to the Lounge area with this post.

Well, regardless of what you "think" ... I've been in server hell for the past week trying to get BLOCKS removed from Comcast, AOL and Earthlink and dozens of Baracuda(sp?) installations... THAT'S what idiots are still running blocking lists based on "from:"

Comcast even blocked my dial-up account -- which has nothing to do with the addresses used in the spam other than I retrieve that mail via my comcast account.

If your comcast account was blocked, and AOL has you in a block list, then chances are those emails did originate from your computer, though most likely without your knowledge. AFAIK, AOL only blocks based on the originating IP of the message. And Comcast certainly knows better than to cut off someones account based on a forged from address, despite whatever other problems they might have with their abuse desk.

I would suspect at least one of the many bounces you have received would contain a copy of the original email, or at the very least, the headers thereof. I would suggest posting those here so that we can take a look at them. If Comcast cut off your account, then there is no way for us to know what your specific IP address was at the time, unless of course you happen to know, however, we can certainly see if those messages did indeed originate from an IP address belonging to Comcast.

Well, regardless of what you "think" ... I've been in server hell for the past week trying to get BLOCKS removed from Comcast, AOL and Earthlink and dozens of Baracuda(sp?) installations... THAT'S what idiots are still running blocking lists based on "from:"

Comcast even blocked my dial-up account -- which has nothing to do with the addresses used in the spam other than I retrieve that mail via my comcast account.

My hart goes out to you. It was my turn earlier this week. I got off easy. they forged webmaster[at]... "who" doesn't send any email and most of the bounces were from non-US domains. As a result it had little real effect except for the pain in the A. It was a shock to get over 6,000 bounces the first morning.

Do you think you may have been targeted based on you advertised work? If you are going to advertise your anti-spam, spamvertise work you need to take some prophylactic measures.

What can be done about the actions of uninformed ISPs is of course a real issue. It is not a surprise to me that Comcast, AOL, Earthlink reacted in an inappropriate manner, based on the amount of US-sourced spam I get from their users computers.

Repeating some of the theme, I also have some major disbelief in your described scenario. I also am going with that there is a connection to the IP Address of the server involved with your outgoing as being the more likely candidate for the cause of the issue.

Now that doesn't seem to match any of the above. Blocking of your "dial-up" account would seem to be a whole different matter First of all, ComCast is pretty well world-renowned for little to no action against a complaint of spam-spew. Even then, 'blocking your dial-up account' seems a bit strange ... one would think that if there was a spam related issue, your account would have been cancelled, period.

As others have suggested, I'm thinking that there is more to the story than just the forged From: lines.

Barracuda will block based on number of recipients. I haven't had a chance to look at it closely or to contact the receiver, but an email of mine that went to about 40 people was blocked by Barracuda as 'bulk' mail.

However, aol and comcast addresses on that email were delivered.

Miss Betsy

Archived